Ask a question Report

ITunes says I am synced with another library [Solved/Closed]

Thunderbird - Latest answer on Feb 11, 2013 09:11PM
I went to download a CD to my iPod via iTunes. I needed to update to the latest version of iTunes, which I did. I then hit sync to download my CD to my iPod and a message comes up that my iPod is synced with another iTunes library and says I must erase and sync. I have only used this computer to sync so I don't know how I am on another library. I don't want to erase all the music on my iPod in order to add new songs. How can I avoid this?
Read more 
moins plus

lindsay- Apr 27, 2010 07:35AM
how do you redirect itunes to the correct library on the computer? i see that all of my stuff is on my computer but when itunes pops up upon plugging in my iphone and/or ipod a blank account comes up and asks if i want to sync.... ugghhh!
Kayla- Jun 11, 2010 10:19PM
I have been using my familys computer to download music to my ipod so when i finally got my own computer it told me i had to delete all my music to get new songs. clicking on the link provided saved all of my music to itunes itself from my ipod so when it deleted all my music on my ipod it was already on my itunes. Whoever founded this site is amazing!
briwolves- Jul 14, 2010 07:10AM
ihad to re boot my computer ;as i never backed upmy songs on i tunes, but songs are still on my i pod. will i lose all my songs when i sync to i tunes ?
99groover- Nov 16, 2012 07:38PM
if i do that will it erase my apps?
mohit- Nov 29, 2012 12:47AM
Your Ipod device is in active on automatic mode set ti to manual mode - It is normal for your device to take a few seconds to change from automatic mode to manual mode.

When in manual mode, to add songs or playlists, drag them from iTunes to the device icon in the sidebar. To remove songs or playlists, select them on the device in iTunes and press the delete key. You can also create playlists directly on the device.
moins plus
iTunes says I am synced with another library

You mean you wanna add new songs to iPod without erasing the previous data on iPod?Since you updated the iTunes then the iTunes seems a new library for your iPod. Then you have to transfer your iPod 's content out back to your iTunes ,add new songs to the iTunes ,finally sync your iPod to the iTunes where both your iPod's songs and new songs are included. But how to transfer iPod's content back to the iTunes? I think Aniosoft iBackup is great one,which enables you to transfer iPod's music and other content to any storage device and iTunes as well. And both the backup in the storage device can be recovered and restored with no any change and no any risk.And the data in the iTunes is quite in accord with the iPod's data including its playlists,rating and etc.
So in your case,you can make a music transfer from your iPod to the iTunes in your laptop with this tool and also make a backup for the ipod's content somewhere in your laptop as well as backup file in case of the hard drive crash.

D- Jun 29, 2010 12:48PM
i did not let the ipod sync with the new computer; i just purchased my new music and dragged each song to my music list under my ipod. that way i was able to keep what was already synched as well as adding my new music!
moins plus
You've probably already found an answer for this issue, but I will post this for any other person this becomes relevant for should this occur to you:

upon plugging the device into your computer/laptop, it will give the message you were stating. Do not allow it to sync to yur current library AT ALL. Rather, click onthe summary tab that displays when you've clicked on the iPod/iPhone on the left side menu bar. The summary and all over information will be in the right hand side of the screen.

Once you are in the SUMMARY TAB: click on the backup there are three rows: iPod, Version, and lastly, OPTIONS. There are four selection boxes. Click on the last box labeled "Encrypt iPod/iPhone backup" or you can also select this option by clicking on the change password box. Put in your iTunes account password--it seems to be synced that way and always works. If you are prompted to update iTunes software in the process, do it. It is better to have the updated version and have it function smoothly during this transition.

This will backup everything on your device without losing your information permanently.
Once this step is complete, you will indeed need to restore he device to factory settings. Please note, this is the only systematically correct method I know of to successfully re-register your device back into your library.

After factory settings are restored... TIME TO PUT YOUR MUSIC/Apps/Etc BACK IN.

This will take some time and your device will also be caused to shut off and restart on it's own.
A New screen appears asking you to set up your iPod/iPhone.

You will see the back up on your screen and should select the restore from back up option listed there. You will be prompted to install your password from the last time you backed up your computer (as stated before, this should have been the iTunes account password for the sake of consistency)

This backup too should take a few minutes.

You should be ready to go after this.

Jess- May 5, 2010 04:55PM
it still says that it the ipod is snyced with another itunes library
D- Jun 10, 2010 08:27AM
where do the files go when saved on my computer?
Davo- Jul 5, 2010 05:16PM
This is BS. This doesn't work. All it did was delete my additional songs on my iPhone.
kst53- Oct 23, 2012 11:26PM
I followed Dee's instructions and they did not work. I want to import contact information added/revised on my iPhone to my Yahoo contacts WITHOUT merging anything from the Yahoo account or deleting anything on the phone. Even after restore I am getting a message saying my iphone is synced to another user account. This can only be true I suppose if I have been hacked and someone else is using my ID on another machine. Still why would system restore work on EVERYTHING else (playlists text messages photos & apps) but not the phone book.
jk- Oct 26, 2012 03:01AM
I tried this and it worked great -- but had to go through another procedure to restore apps (found it on salon).
moins plus
When it says it will erase everything - does it mean just songs/videos or does it mean ALL content on the iphone (settings, pictures, accounts, etc)? I don't mind if it clears my music, but I don't want to lose all of my apps, pictures, etc. Does anyone know? Thanks!

:D- Apr 19, 2010 05:36PM
Yes it will because it wouldn't let me erase everything because the app purchases weren't transfered
nck- May 4, 2010 12:44AM
what do you mean yes it will. only music/vid or all content of the iphone
np- May 8, 2010 01:49AM
i have the same question too... does it delete all the content included apps, my friends sync all the apps for me so I don't want to loose them.. my iphone doesn't have any music, and I want to sync with my computer but I don't know if it will delete all my apps? THanks
moins plus
Not sure how old this topic is, but I had this issue trying to get my Mom's iPod to get some new music.

Basically, I got this message, so I unplugged it, and plugged it back on.

On the left side of the iTunes interface (Where it lists playlists/library/etc) right click on your iPod under the Devices category.

Click on "Transfer Purchases" and you're good to go.

When the pop up comes up at the beginning that asks you if you want to do this, click cancel.

cin- Jun 6, 2010 08:17AM answer that actually works!!! Thanks Wick :))
Hopper- Jun 29, 2010 08:35PM
I have transferred my data to iTunes
if I sync my iPod to my computer will ANY data be lost like from my apps or games
Jen- Jul 18, 2010 12:45PM
Damn!! It doesnt work 4 me ;'(
help me- Jul 31, 2010 10:43PM
i did everything you said i clicked transfer purchases and it said snchronizing and then nothin happened and i did it again and still nothing!
hanban- Feb 7, 2013 11:15PM
This helped me alot thanks :3
moins plus
we had the same problem with my daughters ipod touch - she had over 500 songs on her ipod touch from an older computer and from purchases she made from itunes through the ipod touch application using wifi.
she attempted to plug in the ipod into her new laptop - which did not recognize or the software wasn't updated to recognize so she proceeded and was asked to erase and replace the ipod touch. End result, she now only have 280 songs in itunes on the computer and her synched ipod touch. the songs she lost I THINK are purchases she made on the itunes and were never on any computer. Is there any hope to recover.

cee- Mar 20, 2010 10:38AM
if she bought her songs through wifi i'm guessing the she got it from itunes, she should still have it under the same itunes account name. call itunes support to retrieve the songs that she bought they're pretty good in helping you :)
GSX Girl- Apr 25, 2010 08:01AM
Itunes are NOT pretty good at helping you, they wont budge if more than once in your ENTIRE lifetime!! You lose ya purchases, they are gone and itunes and Apple dont care, My Mac Book Pros hard drive failed 3 times and the last time I didn't get a chance to back up my $1000 worth of purchases (3mths worth) and despite having my request sent to senior itunes management to let me re-download the stuff I purchased Apple would not budge having spent mega thousands on exclusive apple products and only requesting 3 months of lost data (NOT ALL THE PURCHASES OVER THE YEARS!!) to be downloaded again, Apple said tough luck, we let you download your stuff once 3 years ago (after another Apple hard drive fail) so that's it for life!! The mega loyalty, extreme expenditure I have paid to Itunes & Apple counted for NOTHING so now I'm thinking of going back to PC exclusively even if I am cutting off my nose to spite my face! Totally disappointed and disillusioned!
lanie- Apr 27, 2010 08:33PM
i got them erased and they gave me instructions on how to get them back.. and i did
moins plus
Having the same problem as number #17. Will be waiting for a solution. Its my girlfriend's phone and Believe me she wants to break up with me for that. In this case, all 480 songs and all pictures were lost. I was trying to back up files with itune and the only thing showing up was to sync which i hit and all data was erased. Someone please help!!

bluscarab- Apr 8, 2010 09:40PM
Exactly my situation but over 1500 tunes are gone. I am so disgusted that I don't even feel like trying to recover them. I feel as if that part of my life is over and thats that. Probably the same way your girlfriend feels right now .... errr .... felt at that time. Hope she managed to forgive you unless....... you found a solution! Do tell.....
moins plus
Please help,I want to add songs in the library but error says I have two
library.I am not sure if it is true,cause some of my ablums |I can not see in my library,but it is in my ipod.

moins plus
Go to the Summery tab of the IPOD, and click "Manually Manage Music and Videos"

It worked for me thank god~

Eagle- May 11, 2010 01:30AM
Azalia is right, I just did this and it will erase your music and videos but not your iphone settings, programs, etc.
moins plus
transfer your purchases...... unless the music is downloaded illegally then well your on your own.

moins plus
I'm on a different computer but i'm on my itunes account. Well i cannot get the new music i just added from my library to sync to my ipod it says do not disconnect and when it's done syncing the songs have not been transferred. I'm getting pissed.

moins plus
i have the same problem
mine though is because i was having itunes problems where it wouldnt even recognize when i plugged it in and then itunes wouldnt even open! so i cleared my hard drive and loaded everything new again
itunes works perfectly but i cant access my music or anything saved on my iphone because its a different itunes library, same computer, just new itunes library : (
so now i cant change anything on my iphone without clearing my iphone and syncing it again

moins plus
i inserted another itouch into a different itunes . and now all my music is delted and i dont know how to get it back. please help

moins plus
I'm having the same problem, and I restored my ipod, but the only music that synched to my ipod after I restored it was my limewire files, nothing in my library. I'm thinking that my usb cable might need replacing, because it shows my ipod under devices, but when I drag music over it won't turn blue, and it won't allow me to put any new music on it.

moins plus
I don't have Internet in my computer but I got I tunes and every thing before then with another computer I updated making all my stuff vanish is it possible to get music from my old pc to my new one?

moins plus
Finally figured this out! I had the same problem that Itunes message said it would delete files on Ipod and replace with library. So on the summary tab I checked the box for manually add and manage files (something like that) and then it allowed me to click and drag my new purchases onto my ipod. So simple after spending an hour trying to figure it out!

rlpeace- Aug 11, 2010 01:38AM

When i check the box for manually add and then click the box at the bottom that says "Apply" I still get a message that says I am synced to another library and asks if I want to erase and sync to the new library. Did it say this when you did it? If so did you click the tab that says "erase and sync"? I know this is being caused because it is a new computer. Very frustrating.
moins plus
in response to the original question, what you need to do is find the itunes library file. the default location on windows xp is in c:/documents and settings/(your windows account name)/my documents/my music/itunes. if you named your itunes library a custom name it will be called that name for example if you named your itunes library "fred's library" it will be c:/documents and settings/(your windows account name)/my documents/my music/itunes - a small .xml file called fred's library.xml . when you open itunes simply hold shift and select this file and your library should come back playlists and all, and as long as the original music files haven't been moved it will be like new. hope this helps :)

Grateful- Jan 6, 2013 05:59PM
Worked perfectly! Thank you. January 2013
moins plus
what you need to do is find the itunes library file. the default on windows xp is in c:/documents and settings/(your windows account name)/my documents/my music/itunes. if you named your itunes library it will be called that name for example if you named your itunes library "fred's library" it will be c:/documents and settings/(your windows account name)/my documents/my music/itunes - a file called fred's library. when you open itunes simply hold shift and select this file and your library should come back.

this should also work if you have the automatically add to itunes library feature, the music and stuff will be in the "my music/itunes/itunes media" folder, if you copy this folder onto a new computer and press shift when starting this computers copy of itunes and select the library in the folder you have just copied it allows you to transfer the library and thereby the syncing with thatr library to a new computer without erasingh your device.

moins plus
sync your songs manually

moins plus
Here's a possible solution to this (or a similar) problem on a Windows (7) computer:

When an iPod is plugged into the computer, iTunes automagically opens with a blank library and the user is asked to Erase and Sync the iPod because it's synced to another library. Then, if the user exits iTunes and re-opens iTunes without unplugging the iPod, the proper library with all the music appears and the iPod is recognised as a known iPod.

#1 Exit iTunes when it automatically opens when the iPod is plugged in and re-open it again from the Start menu. (temporary work around)

#2 Insert the iPod and hold down the SHIFT key until after iTunes opens (OPTION key on Mac). Release the shift key and bring iTunes to the front if it isn't already the front-most application. Navigate to the iTunes library in Music/My Music in the CURRENT user's directory and choose the iTunes file that appears (copy and paste the following into the file open dialogue that appears when you search for the iTunes library: %USERPROFILE%\Music\iTunes). This procedure should have chosen the correct iTunes library (permanent fix)

PS Lindsay with Report #35 has this problem.

1 2 Next
This document entitled « iTunes says I am synced with another library » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.