ITunes says I am synced with another library

Solved/Closed
Thunderbird - Jul 26, 2009 at 05:14 PM
 Freakedass - Feb 11, 2013 at 09:11 PM
I went to download a CD to my iPod via iTunes. I needed to update to the latest version of iTunes, which I did. I then hit sync to download my CD to my iPod and a message comes up that my iPod is synced with another iTunes library and says I must erase and sync. I have only used this computer to sync so I don't know how I am on another library. I don't want to erase all the music on my iPod in order to add new songs. How can I avoid this?
Related:

10 responses

You've probably already found an answer for this issue, but I will post this for any other person this becomes relevant for should this occur to you:
  • upon plugging the device into your computer/laptop, it will give the message you were stating. Do not allow it to sync to yur current library AT ALL. Rather, click onthe summary tab that displays when you've clicked on the iPod/iPhone on the left side menu bar. The summary and all over information will be in the right hand side of the screen.
  • Once you are in the SUMMARY TAB: click on the backup there are three rows: iPod, Version, and lastly, OPTIONS. There are four selection boxes. Click on the last box labeled "Encrypt iPod/iPhone backup" or you can also select this option by clicking on the change password box. Put in your iTunes account password--it seems to be synced that way and always works. If you are prompted to update iTunes software in the process, do it. It is better to have the updated version and have it function smoothly during this transition.
  • This will backup everything on your device without losing your information permanently.

Once this step is complete, you will indeed need to restore he device to factory settings. Please note, this is the only systematically correct method I know of to successfully re-register your device back into your library.
  • After factory settings are restored... TIME TO PUT YOUR MUSIC/Apps/Etc BACK IN.
  • This will take some time and your device will also be caused to shut off and restart on it's own.
  • A New screen appears asking you to set up your iPod/iPhone.
  • You will see the back up on your screen and should select the restore from back up option listed there. You will be prompted to install your password from the last time you backed up your computer (as stated before, this should have been the iTunes account password for the sake of consistency)

This backup too should take a few minutes.

You should be ready to go after this.
I am going to try this, you are the first one who was able to explain it so this old lady could understand it, now I just hope it works...thanks again
Ok I'm majorly puzzled by this. My iphone is saying this and stopping me putting music on it. I have both ipod data and iphone data in the library so it gets a bit frustrating. I don't want to go back to factory settings as I'd lose everything from photos to progress and high scores on games. I never had any problems with previous mp3 players etc. I think this is all too much for me to take in. I mean why does it have to synch to a library. I currently have 2 ipods and an iphone and it gets frustrating when they start acting up. As for apple they can't even be bothered to print an instruction booklet let alone respond to emails.