Ask a question Report

PowerBook G4 no password or install discs [Solved/Closed]

blueslover - Latest answer on Dec 13, 2012 12:12PM
Hello,
I bought a PowerBook G4 from an individual without the install discs. I don't have the system password either. I need to delete the previous owner's info and set it up for me.
I 've reviewed previous discussions here but the instructions aren't working other than the disc check command. Can someone give me more detailed info on what to enter?
Read more 
Answer
+77
moins plus
All you need is nothing: OK, restart your computer, hold down Command-S and type in the following:

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

Once you've done that the computer reboots and ask you to set up an admin password. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences

stormyparadise- Apr 25, 2011 07:09PM
You're the freaking best thanks
saleem- Apr 29, 2011 04:25PM
many thanls for advice
it worked fine but with a tiny modification in the first line
/sbin/fsck -fy

thanks again
drew- Apr 30, 2011 05:39PM
very cool - worked a treat,
HELP ME- May 4, 2011 03:15PM
Please Help Me, I did everything you said to do, after it was done booting, it just has a big black square on the screen and you cant do anything!!! How do you fix it! Please help!
Deuce2- Dec 13, 2012 12:12PM
Perfect!!
Answer
+3
moins plus
Restart with OS X disk and hold down c. You can reset the password with the disk.

JVSQA- Jun 26, 2009 11:16AM
Hi,
Even after trying this pressing C,still it is in Password field,i loaded the disk utility 1 as well,no help,i did upgrade the OS to Leopard,is this causing a problem,i dont no exactly?
Datateknikk- Apr 20, 2010 03:15AM
What about if i do not have the disk?
Datateknikk- Apr 20, 2010 03:17AM
Do anybody have iLife '08 or OS-10.4 i can buy?
I have iLife '09 i can swap for iLife '08
Answer
+0
moins plus
I was able to create a new username and password, but now it seems that I may have lost all of my daughter's years of data.

Does this wipe the hard drive?

If not, how do I bring her stuff back up?

She is going to freak out if I tell her that several years of information is gone. I was supposed to back this information up .... I fear that critical information could be lost.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Basically ... the optical drive was broken ... I forgot her password ... was simply trying to install the security upgrades, etc.

This document entitled « PowerBook G4 no password or install discs » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.