I was running the 64-bit
version if iTunes
, and I did uninstall and re-install just to make sure -- no luck. Turns out there's a really easy solution, I'll spare you the detail of how I figured it out, but if you encounter the same issue, here's the solution:
1) Using WinRAR (or any other decent archiving program), extract iTunesWindows64Setup.exe
2) Right click on AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi and choose Properties.
3) Switch to the Compatibility tab and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and select your only option, "Previous versions of Windows", in the drop-down box.
4) Click OK
5) Double click the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi
6) Tell it to Repair your current installation