Help - How do I set up my laptop wirelessly?

Solved/Closed
Edna - Jul 7, 2008 at 09:20 AM
 J~VIC - Jun 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM
Hello,

I do not have much idea about computers so wonder if someone can help. I have a windows xp computer which is connected to a wireless belkin g router via an ethernet cable, which in turn is connected to the intenet via a ntl
cable broadband modem (Virgin media). I think I have managed to set up the router correctly. My husband has now bought a laptop and wants to connect it wirelessly so that he can access the internet, etc.

Could someone please tell me how we can use this laptop wirelessly anywhere else in the house? I have a system disk for the Belkin Router and have bought a Blue Next network adaptor which I was told I would need. Can someone please tell me how to set all this up? I have given up trying!

Thanks.....

Edna
Related:

20 responses

terryfox6 Posts 8 Registration date Thursday May 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 22, 2009 43
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM
Hi Edna

Please go to my computer

Then view connection network and select the wifi device that your have on the laptop -reflesh it and select your router ..

It will ask you for a network access code enter -

You should be able to get internet access.

Your wifi router must have been provider with code
Edna Docherty
Jul 11, 2008 at 02:57 AM
Hi

Thanks a lot for your help. I've managed to set up the wireless connection on my desktop PC but it seems that we need to reinstall windows on our laptop - something not right with it.

Your reply is much appreciated though.

E
go to your start menu type in power option and click on it, and choose high performance this will allow you to boost your wifi reciever in your laptop.
hi,
i have a laptop with wireless option.we are live in a flat.so we have wi-fi as well.so I just wanna know can I use internet with connecting my laptop with wifi and how do I configure those things?
thank you.
thilanka.
Hello,i have laptop,and here is my question.I turned on wireless,i searched for networks,found one with good signal and connect to it.I m connected.Now I go to internet and it doesnt work.Like I have no connection.Please help.
I have the same problem. My dad has a Berklin wireless router and I am trying to connect to it. I see his internet and I have changed all the addresses and the gateway to the correct numbers. I have connected to the internet. I can see his signal and it says that it is connected. But, my computer is not receiving any packets. When I go to the internet it won't come up. I hope someone can help me cause I have tried many different things and it still doesn't work. Have you figured out your problem yet?
CRAP!im tired of not having wireless internet when I have a router
having a router means nothing. if the router is plugged into the wall (power) it will show up as a wireless signal. your computer can send and recieve packets from this wireless signal. but if the router itself is not connected to a high speed or dsl modem with an isp, the connection will be an empty one. (no internet)
so to the kak person what u said explains my problem exactly but what do I need to tell my dad to do cuz idrk to be completely honest
you modem is on the fritz. unpug it then pug it for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in
Setting computers in a wireless networking environment offers a number of advantages. Computers can be moved from one location to another as long as within the area of the wireless network without laying new cables. No cables are needed to network new computers or printers. Just plug in a wireless network adapter and configure. Prevent troublesome wiring and cabling for your computers by establishing a wireless connection. The size of the area of the wireless network depends on the type of wireless router and wireless network adapters used.

Materials Needed:
- - Wireless Router
- Wireless Network Adapters for your Computers

Step 1
Choose a wireless router with a number of available ports for the equipment to be included in the network. Select wireless equipment with 802.11g wireless technology for best performance

Step 2
Select wireless network adapters with the same brand or compatible with the wireless router. Same brand setup is relatively easier.

Step 3
Connect the wireless router to a modem. Check the documentation that accompanies the wireless router. Follow the instruction in connecting the router to a modem. Different brands and models may differ with the connection setup. Take a cable from the modem and connect to the wireless router, look for an Internet, Wan, or WLAN port.

Step 4
Configure the wireless router by following setup instructions with the accompanying CD or documentation. Temporarily connect the wireless router to a computer by using a plug from your modem or any available cable.

Step 5
Configure the wireless network name also known as SSID. The name should differ from any existing network names within the area.

Step 6
Configure the wireless encryption (WEP) or Wi-Fi protected Access (WPA) by choosing a password. The WEP or WPA protects the wireless network from accidental intrusion by non-authorized users.

Step 7
Enter an administrative password that will only be used by an administrator or network technician to adjust and secure the network and router settings.

Step 8
Save the settings and unplug the wireless router from the computer.

Step 9
Connect the computers or laptops to the network. Recent models of computers and laptops have built-in wireless network support and can automatically detect existing wireless networks. Follow instructions for installing wireless network adapters for computers or laptops. Computers may require plugging the network adapter into a Universal Serial Bus (USB) slot and arranging antenna on top of the computer. Insert network cards into laptops by using empty card slots. Some network adapters may require a CD for installation. Follow directions and choose appropriate computer and network settings.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi,
My laptop recently switched itself off, I needed to reboot it using the CD provided. As I rebooted I have lost every think that was saved on it.

Now I can't connect to the web wireless, as the wireless settings have been lost. Is there any way of restoring these setting back on to the laptop. If so how?

thank you.
hey amy.. try to start your laptop and then press F2 or F10.. then choose "last known good configuration". if nothing happens, I think the best way is to reformat your laptop.. then install the missing drivers/software of your laptop which you received from the store where you bought your laptop(in a form of CD)..including the wifi driver.. and it will automatically configured..
Thats not correct. While the drivers will be installed, they will not be configured automatically.... the end user will still need to configure security settings, including WEP/WPA configuration.
Setting computers in a wireless networking environment offers a number of advantages. Computers can be moved from one location to another as long as within the area of the wireless network without laying new cables. No cables are needed to network new computers or printers. Just plug in a wireless network adapter and configure. Prevent troublesome wiring and cabling for your computers by establishing a wireless connection. The size of the area of the wireless network depends on the type of wireless router and wireless network adapters used.

Materials Needed:
- - Wireless Router
- Wireless Network Adapters for your Computers

Step 1
Choose a wireless router with a number of available ports for the equipment to be included in the network. Select wireless equipment with 802.11g wireless technology for best performance

Step 2
Select wireless network adapters with the same brand or compatible with the wireless router. Same brand setup is relatively easier.

Step 3
Connect the wireless router to a modem. Check the documentation that accompanies the wireless router. Follow the instruction in connecting the router to a modem. Different brands and models may differ with the connection setup. Take a cable from the modem and connect to the wireless router, look for an Internet, Wan, or WLAN port.

Step 4
Configure the wireless router by following setup instructions with the accompanying CD or documentation. Temporarily connect the wireless router to a computer by using a plug from your modem or any available cable.

Step 5
Configure the wireless network name also known as SSID. The name should differ from any existing network names within the area.

Step 6
Configure the wireless encryption (WEP) or Wi-Fi protected Access (WPA) by choosing a password. The WEP or WPA protects the wireless network from accidental intrusion by non-authorized users.

Step 7
Enter an administrative password that will only be used by an administrator or network technician to adjust and secure the network and router settings.

Step 8
Save the settings and unplug the wireless router from the computer.

Step 9
Connect the computers or laptops to the network. Recent models of computers and laptops have built-in wireless network support and can automatically detect existing wireless networks. Follow instructions for installing wireless network adapters for computers or laptops. Computers may require plugging the network adapter into a Universal Serial Bus (USB) slot and arranging antenna on top of the computer. Insert network cards into laptops by using empty card slots. Some network adapters may require a CD for installation. Follow directions and choose appropriate computer and network settings.
Wireless Connection:
Start > Control Panel > network connection>

Show network connections. If there is an X on wireless connection then connection is disabling and if no X then connection is enable.

Right click on wireless network connection and click view available wireless networks.
You should see a list of available wireless networks

Then select the wireless network that you need to work on and click connect.

An icon in the lower right hand corner of your desktop should eventually appear stating that you are connected.
Then this will show you your wireless connection.

Excellent you connect to your wireless network.
Edna Docherty
Jul 11, 2008 at 02:59 AM
Hi

Thanks for replying to my query. I have managed to set up the wireless router on my PC OK but it appears that we need to reinstall windows on our laptop as there seems to be problems there.

Thanks or your help anyway - much appreciated.

I might be back once I reinstall windows!

Edna
I have a laptop that I had rey installed windows but I have lost the wireless all to gethere
can u help please

from azza
hi
basically u need to set/change your peroxy settings
weell how do u get ur preoxy setting showen I have changed em they dnt work
ramesh ravindra
Apr 3, 2010 at 05:31 AM
If you dont have any Idea about your wireless modem in your home. and you want to connect to The internet with laptop you have one way to connect easy. just configure your modem click the internet explorer type http://192.168.1.1 password and username is admin ( commenly) go to wireless task disable security. switch on your laptops wifi key go to wireless network connection. select data encryption to none. autantification to open. try to connect.

With this metord others can use your wifi by the range of your wifi range.

After you got some ideas and you can use it with securities

Enjoy.

From Artenoss MNC company
Hi Edna,

On the computer thats connected to the belkin router using a cable open internet explorer and in the address bar type 192.168.2.1,it will take u to belkin router setup page.towards ur left under wireless click on channel and ssid it would promt u for a password just leave it blan and click submit and change the wireless channel to 11 and ssid to any name u want,make sur broadcast ssid is enabled and click apply changes.
under wireless click on security and in security modem choose wpa and in password psk enter any password from 8 to 63 ch. and apply changes..

now go to the husbands wireless laptop ,as u have not specified the OS on the computer I will give steps to XP Visa Win 7

If XP-Click start -control panal - Network connection - right click on wireless network connection and click view available wireless network -u will c the wireless network name(ssid that was changed on the router) click on the network name it would promt u for a password enter the WPA password that was enabled on the router.

If vista/Win 7 - star control panal- network and internet connection- network and shareing center-connect to a network--u will c the wireless network name(ssid that was changed on the router) click on the network name it would promt u for a password enter the WPA password that was enabled on the router.
Hi I have a problem with my wireless network im trying to set it up but I can't. There is some problem please can you help me out here? I have tried everyhting such as the wireless network view network. When I connect to my network and I have to put the key inside. I have done this but when its connecting it takes long and then it does'nt do it.
hey there well it seems that you have to set up your wireless connection to automatic so it will not disconnet everytime you log off go to services.msc look for zero config and then look your setting there and look if your nrtwork setting and proxy are right.good luck
Please can someone help me!! I'm going insane!!

We are having a similar problem. We have an older laptop which is not wireless but we bought the reommended adaptor to use the laptop for wireless connection. We installed everyhting and the wireless connection worked really well for one day then just stopped working. We called the support team at Virgin, who eventually concluded we had pruchased the wrong adaptor and advised us which one to get.

Tried to install this last night but the adaptor will not pick up our router even though we are sat right next to it. The internet works as wired but that it. We hve tried switching everyhting off and waiting and tried uninstalling and reinstalling again but have now ran out of ideas.

Can anyone give any further suggestions??
Try turning your firewall off and see if it works. If it does work then you will need to allow the adaptor in your firewall programes .
I was able to click start-run-type in services.ms-ok-then right click on wireless zero config.-properties and made sure the connection to desktop button was checked
astro > Sunshine5
Dec 30, 2009 at 03:29 PM
I once spent days.. yes days, trying to figure out why my laptop wouldnt connect to a wireless network. I installed every driver known to man but to no avail. My mobile phone would see the wireless network, but my laptop didnt want to know. All it showed was a little networrk icon with a big "X" thru it.

It turns out that theres a button on my laptop that manually switced wireless on and off. Mine was located on the front, cleverly disguised as a light. Your wireless button may be located on the rear of the laptop.

My advice, make sure wireless is enabled on your laptop....
Thanks for the info re: the slide button on the laptop. I must have knocked it by accident. Here I was thinking I had a major problem and all it was was that button. Many thanks. (mine is an old acer laptop).
First purchase a wireless router. Follow up the manual to set up the router and its connection. Once you connect the wireless router then it is good to leave wired connection. But if you are using separate computer where you want to set up Wi-Fi then you should leave the wired client connected.

If you want to set up the wireless client you need to know service set identifier (SSID), the wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) key and the channel and mode. Now boot up the laptop and plug in the WiFi card. This will not be necessary if your laptop has an integrated WIFi card. Install any drivers needed to use the WiFi card. Insert the disc that came with the WiFi card and follow the on-screen installation process.

https://laptopadviser.com/howto-setup-wireless-on-chrome-os/
i got a laptop with wireless option.we are live in a flat.so we have wi-fi as well.i just wanna know can I use internet with connecting with wi-fi ? and how can I configure those things ?.
please help me too
what you do is put the cd in and work of it duuurr! godd its not brain surgery try doing it without a cd wich is what im trying t do you little bugger
I have an IBM thinkpad. I have tried connecting it to the after complete configuration, but it won't work. I also tried pluggin in the router, then fill in the SSID, and its key; yet, the computer won't connect to the web still. It appears on the screen that the signal ranges from 75 % to 100%. But it constantly leaves a meassage that I might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. That the problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. But the laptop I used to send this message is been configured by the same information I tried to configure the one having the problem. I not very good at networking.

Please help me.
thanks for understanding
I have three system which I want them to be connected together nd I needed a crue on how am goin to detect the wireless device nd how to conect it.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP WITH THIS?

MY BOYFRIEND AND I HAVE THE SAME BELKIN N+ ROUTER AND MY LAPTOP WILL NOT CONNECT TO THE ONE AT HIS HOUSE. IT WANTS ME TO ENTER THER PIN CODE. IF IT LETS ME ENTER THE SECURITY PASSKEY, IT WILL NOT CONNECT PROPERLY. IT WILL SAY "CONNECTED BUT WITH NO INTERNET ACCESS".
Why dony u just go on www.freewebs.com/jevaughn11 register and log in they have the real link to nexxt wireless worked 4 me :)