Dell laptop HDMI-to-HDTV won't work

Solved/Closed
Ahab - Updated on Jan 29, 2019 at 04:12 AM
 Jack - Jan 10, 2013 at 09:11 AM
Hello,

I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop with an HDMI port. I'm trying to connect it to a 42" Vizio HDTV (brand new). It's worked once, but that's it. Not again. I connect the HDMI cable to the TV and it just says "No Signal!"

Please help!
System Configuration: Windows Vista Firefox 3.0.12
Related:

4 responses

Hey,
  • After selecting video input connection type (HDMI) on HD TV, try right-clicking on the desktop and go to graphics options.
  • Select desktop plus HD TV or just HD TV.
  • This works with Dell Studio 1555 and Sony Bravia HD TV using the HDMI inputs.

Thanks!
FYI I subscribe to Netflix streaming video and use my laptop and internet connection to watch movies on my big Sony HDTV as well as the internet using a wireless mouse and keyboard. The laptop (Dell) has HDMI ouyput and Windows 7 with the magnifier function which allows me to see the HDTV from at least 17 ft. I connect with a short HDMI cable and leave the laptop near the HDTV. I guess I could run a long HDMI cable and put the labtop near me. I presume others use other methods and devices such as described at the Netflix site. See above with helpful.
This didn't fix my problem and it gave me an additional problem. I did this:
right click desktop > Graphics Options > Output To > HDTV.
Result was: My laptop screen went completely black, but TV still says, "No signal".
Now the only way to see anything on my laptop is if I disconnect the HDMI cable.
To make matters worse, NOW when I right click my desktop again and select Graphics Options, there is no more "Output To" option on the menu, so I don't see a way to un-do what I just did.