Constant Orange/Green Flashing Battery Light

Solved/Closed
LeggyLass - Aug 12, 2009 at 11:53 AM
 IceBSA - Oct 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Hello,
I have a Dell Latitude D510 laptop and the battery light is flashing orange and green constantly. About a month ago I purchased a new cable to recharge the battery and the problem went away. However it is back again now and when I unplug the charger or replug it the orange light goes for about 5 seconds only. When I press the button located near the battery 3 of the 5 green lights flash 3 times then go out (2 in between remain off i.e. 1=on, 2=off, 3=on, 4=off, 5=on). Do you think I need to purchase a new battery?
Thanks in hope of some advice.
Janet
Related:

3 responses

Hi,

The amber flashing light simply means the battery is fully charged. This usually happens with a replacement battery not manufactured by Dell. Not a big deal.

If you open your power meter (right-click on the icon) and notice the charge continues to diminish even while plugged in and indicating "charging".

You should unplug and use your laptop until the battery is depleted. You can set adjust the power properties (right-click on the same icon) to hibernate when the critical battery reaches 5% so that you don't lose any work in progress.

If the battery will not begin to recharge after running it down and plugging back in, leave your laptop plugged in, remove the battery and lock it back in place.

The computer will reset and the battery begins to recharge again.

This appears to be a feature that occurs in replacement batteries to ensure the battery is kept at an optimal charging capacity.