Ask a question Report

Connecting an external monitor to my Acer [Solved/Closed]

Rar - Latest answer on May 3, 2013 09:54PM
I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook and I want to connect my HP w220H2 monitor to it. How do I do that?
Read more 

moins plus
hi there,

Connect the monitor to the

laptop's 15-pin video connection on the back of the computer

Once connected, your laptop may automatically switch

to the new external display or you may be required to press

a sequence of keys in order to switch from the laptop to the external display

For example, often either Fn + F3, Fn + F5, Fn + F8, or Fn + F9

is pressed to switch between alternate displays

depends on the model

mattyb- May 2, 2011 09:24AM
fn and f5 worked for about an hour, then the remote monitor froze. When I tried the fn and f5 again it wont work. Unfortunately the screen on the acer notebook is broken and i have just fuzzy lines, so I can't use the laptop at all.
tami just- Oct 12, 2011 10:18AM
i tryed to addjust the resalution but it just went to a black screen on both my tv montor and my acerone desktop and i dont know how to get my acer respond back to normal resilution so i can use my acer one again
janeth- Nov 18, 2011 04:40AM
thank you sooo much :)
gray msigala- Feb 27, 2013 07:15AM
Mine Just worked using fn + f3
MM- May 3, 2013 09:54PM
Hello I have the same problem as like them, but mine is Samsung Netbook, is it okay to connect HP monitors directly to my netbook? HP monitors cord has 15-pins and my netbook also has 15-pins, is it right? Please let me know i really need it, coz actually my netbook screen is not good anymore, i think its better to change the monitors but still i cant afford to buy so i rather use my HP monitors in my Desktop which is not use.
Anyonen can help me please... Thanks in advance
moins plus
I also have an Acer Aspire One Netbook Computer... I have an HP monitor also (HP 1940)... the way I connect it to the monitor is:
-Plug the VGA cable to the monitor and the netbook (before turning the netbook on)
-Turn on the netbook and the startup screens should appear 'till you get to the desktop
-Once in the desktop, right click on the desktop and the pop-out menu should appear with the following: Graphic options>Output to>Dual Display Clone or Extended Desktop (whichever you prefer)> then, Notebook + Monitor.
-That should do the trick, there are also other options, but it all depends on the desired output.
One more thing, if your output monitor does not support widescreen (the Acer Netbook is Widescreen) you are going to have to put the settings on the native resolution (800x600) on the netbook for the whole screen to be usable. (Right click on the desktop>properties>settings tab>screen resolution.)
The reason I was looking at this post was because I wanted to higher my screen resolution, but it looks as though I'm outta luck for now....I'll keep searching...
Hope this helped.

steven- Apr 10, 2010 11:34AM
i have an accer aspire one and the screen is broken is there any help u can give me to put it through a monitor, the keys that u all said for example ctrl altr f1 arent working neither is fn f5

thank you in advance if u can help
Daj- Jul 12, 2010 07:50PM
jojo- Apr 29, 2011 04:07PM
Perhaps the operating system version that you have installed does not support extended desktop.
ToronotoBabe- Aug 10, 2011 09:18PM
I did the following '.....: Graphic options>Output to>Dual Display Clone or Extended Desktop (whichever you prefer)> then, Notebook + Monitor...". It works! Because my Fn + F5 does not work so I tried the above option that romeko007 suggested. I was so happy that I was almost gave up on my Acer Apire laptop and get a new one, now the solution save me big bucks of not only the money for buying a new laptop also not tossing my laptop as if it's broken, I got it for $329 when it just came out! Now, I should of returning a big favor to romeko007 as to tell him/her that he/she is not '...outta luck for now......' because i found out that to switch to only to the Monitor, not 'Notebook + Monitor' can fix that 800x600 poor screen resolution as well as save energy of having the Laptop screen off. =) While the display screen is only the Monitor, the resolution goes with the Monitor, not the Laptop, which means, whatever the higher or highest resolution the Monitor has, go ahead to change it and it has nothing to do with the screen resolution of the laptop. Now, my monitor resolution is 1280x960, and could go higher!!!
romeko007- Aug 11, 2011 01:23AM
First of all, I'm glad my advice worked for some... and for the rest that have other problems like a broken screen or something... I guess it's better to take it someplace for repair...
Anyway, replying to ToronotoBabe... I'm glad it worked for you... in fact the actual setup for my netbook is exactly like you mentioned... once you put the output option to ONLY "monitor", it goes as high as the monitor can handle... After more than a year after my first post I'm still using this setup for daily browsing at home... BTW I'm a guy LOL!
moins plus
function key: FN then: F5

moins plus
Hotkeys And Key Combinations On Aspire One NetbooksHow do I use the hotkeys and key combinations on my Aspire One?
The computer uses hotkeys or key combinations to access most of the computer's controls like screen brightness and volume output. To use a hotkey to perform a specific function, press and hold down the Fn key, press the system key with the desired image on it, and then release both keys. To cancel the function, repeat the sequence.

For Aspire One models: AOA-150, AOD-110, AOD-150, AO531h:

Hotkey Icon Function Description
Fn + F1 Hot key help Displays the hot key help file.
Fn + F2 System Properties Launch System Properties.
Fn + F3 Power Options Launch Power Options.

For Aspire One models: AO751h:

Fn + F1 Power Options Launch Power Options.
Fn + F2 System Properties Launch System Properties.
Fn + F3 Bluetooth toggle Enables or disables the Bluetooth functionality, if equipped.

All Aspire One models:

Fn + F4 Sleep Puts the computer in Sleep mode.
Fn + F5 Display toggle Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.
Fn + F6 Screen blank Switches off the display backlight. Press any key to enable the backlight again.
Fn + F7 Touchpad toggle Turns the internal touchpad on and off.
Fn + F8 Speaker toggle Turns the speakers on and off.
Fn + F11 Num Lk Num Lock Enable or disable the Number Lock function.
Fn + F12 Scr Lk Scoll Lock Enable or disable the Scroll Lock function.
Fn + Right Arrow Brightness up Increases the screen brightness.
Fn + Left Arrow Brightness down Decreases the screen brightness.
Fn + Up Arrow Volume up Increases the sound volume.
Fn + Down Arrow Volume down Decreases the sound volume.

This document entitled « Connecting an external monitor to my Acer » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.