Acer 5100 Mouse and Keyboard Not Working?

Closed
Katie - Sep 3, 2009 at 06:27 AM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Sep 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Hi i'm katie i'm 15 and i am fairly bad at computers so I'm going to give a very easy version of what happened. So please try to keep your explainations fairly simple too... :)

Ok I have an Acer 5100 Series Laptop. I've had it for just over 2 years so it's been well used but a couple of days ago I noticed that my laptop needed to restart for Windows Updates. I had been putting it off for a while because i was busy, but this morning I finally restarted my laptop. But when the Laptop turned back on again, neither my keyboard or my mouse touch pad are working.

I can't understand why this would of happened because this has never happpened to me before.

Also as well as this, because when my computer loads after a Hard Turn Off. (when i force it to turn off, i think thats what it is called) It asks me to either press F1 to resume or F2 To go to Setup. Neither of these buttons work. So I am generally getting stuck on that page.
But if i do manage to get past that page by some miricle, I have a password set on my laptop before I log in, but because neither my keyboard or my mouse work I can't get past that at all.

Please help me, me and my dad are very bamboozled.
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Sep 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM
ok,
have you tried to connect a usb keyboard?

others have suggested turn laptop off. remove battery and connect to wall socket, power up laptop without battery.

another suggestion, is to remove hdd from laptop and power up. see if keyboard works then. this would indicate a software issue.

Go to this link,
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
go down the page untill you get to the following

MOST AWESOME CD that you will EVER use!
FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD v1.5

You can use it to boot up any computer; fix and install Windows; optimize and speed up your system; clean up history and protect your privacy; recover data and passwords; partition and format the hard drive; clone and backup your system; and more...
FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD v1.5

423mg

In this boot CD are the most popular and useful tools anyone would ever need. The best of all software and it all fits on one CD-R that's readable by any computer worth booting on. Not everything can read a DVD, and USB booting is hit and miss at best. Many techs use ERD Commander, which (after the Microsoft acquisition) is now known as Microsoft DaRT - the Diagnostic and Recovery Toolkit. It's a considerably smaller (than Hiren/UBCD4Win) set of extremely useful and specialized tools that do an amazing job at whipping a broken Windows installation into shape. It is repackaged into a lightning fast-booting compressed RAM disk image, which looks, acts, and runs exactly the same as the original disc. It's also on this disc.
</gras>

click on the blue Click to Download button just above the red 423mg

burn the unpack it and burn the .iso to disk.

boot your laptop with this cd.

on the boot menu try to select
'ERD Commander / Microsoft DaRT 5.0'
this will boot into a mini xp environment, if the keyboard etc works here, then you know the issue is as a result of those updates that were installed.

try all that.
get back to us if you get your k/bd working. you may need to do a rollback.