Flashing green light on power supply [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question minahan1 - Last answered on Sep 16, 2017 at 03:01 PM by Alex
Hello,

My Acer laptop power supply light is flashing and it wont power up. Battery does not charge. Several people I talked to have had the same problem. Do I need to replace the motherboard.

PLEASE HELP
Helpful
+33
plus moins
HP Power supply flashing green light

This is an easy fix so here you go nice and simple:

Problem: Your motherboard circuit has been cut.

Causes: Power disconnected during operation. Power outage or short in the surge protector.

Symptoms: Flashing green light on both motherboard and power supply. System will not power on.

Solution:

Step 1: Ensure that both the power supply and the motherboard lights are flashing green, not solid or off.
Step 2: While the power is on, disconnect the power supply from the motherboard. This connection is the largest of the connections and should be listed as the 'P1' or 'Primary' power connection.

Step 3: Wait until the green light on the motherboard stops flashing and check to ensure that the green light on the power supply is now solid. If it is not solid, disconnect the power to the power supply and wait until the light turns off completely. Then reconnect, it should be solid now.

Step 4: While the power is on, reconnect the P1 connection to the motherboard and you should now see that the light on the motherboard is solid.

Step 5: Power on your PC. The problem should not persist.

Warnings: If the power supply light remains flashing after you have restored power to it while it is disconnected from the motherboard, it may be a system failure in the power supply itself requiring replacement. Always be careful when working with an active or live power machine.
Penny- Oct 29, 2014 at 07:05 PM
This happens to my desktop computer every time we lose power. I turn on my blow dryer to high and blow the hot air into the fan next to the light. The green light blinks faster and faster, until it turns solid and then I can turn on the computer. It takes about 1 minute. Don't know why it works. Read it online sometime and have been using this fix for a few years.
peenut- Nov 2, 2014 at 04:09 PM
Great tip...seems this is the only way it works for my hp desktop...
boots on,solid green light back and motherboard...not flashing anymore.
Only if I unplug it, it goes back to flashing light. And wont boot....
Chachi's Friend- May 5, 2015 at 02:54 AM
As crazy as that sounded, I had my desperate friend try it and, lo and behold, it worked. So thanks!
Steve- Apr 29, 2015 at 03:24 PM
hair dryer method worked for me
Alex- Sep 16, 2017 at 03:01 PM
The P1 disconnect worked great on my Compaq desktop. I've fixed and built a lot of computers, but this was a new one on me. Thanks!
Helpful
+20
plus moins
After a bit of research on the internet it seems that a blinking green light on a power cord indicates a short. It is the power brick trying to turn on and then the autoshut off kicking in then trying to turn off etc etc.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about this issue unless you are a electronic engineer. The only thing you can do is a visual inspection of the parts to insure none of them look damaged and desolder resolder if you think you found the culprit. I would advise not to plug the power into the laptop until after this is done as a short is likely to cause more issues.

My laptop is now sitting in 100 pieces on my kitchen table... soon to be in the garbage bin.

:(
guess007- Jul 22, 2014 at 09:41 AM
i got k53sk power led blinking issu and I have just reslove. 1. take off the battery. 2. plug power to ur computer and try boot only power cord, ur computer will try to cut afew time, dont give up 3. if ur computer reach to the window, shutdow and und unplug the power 4. put it back battery and plug the power, :)
rhian- Jun 15, 2015 at 09:10 PM
Thank you monsieur bond, this worked for me. An auto update had started when not plugged in and ran out of power.

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?