Ask a question Report

DVD ROM not reading CDs [Solved/Closed]

shockman 12Posts Friday April 18, 2008Registration date May 29, 2009 Last seen - Latest answer on Mar 17, 2013 05:06AM
Hey dudes,
what's the problem with my dvd rom? It is reading dvds but not cds what shall I do with it? It's a LG. any idea please ?
Read more 
Answer
+68
moins plus
Hi Dear this is no big problem please insert lance cleaner cd and clean lance and check ,

Second replace sans er lance ,,,

Dhiren 2Posts Saturday October 27, 2012Registration date October 27, 2012 Last seen - Oct 27, 2012 02:04AM
boss is there any setup for lance cleaner ??
Rohit- Mar 17, 2013 05:06AM
it worked for me !!!
Answer
+46
moins plus
Omg, had this problem for months on both my Sony laptops, not even reading the Cd Lens cleaner.

Just now, i put a minute amount of spit on my finger and wiped the little blue lense with it (thought nothing else to lose) and hey presto now reading disks.

How simple was that? lol.

Answer
+30
moins plus
lens cleaning

Answer
+14
moins plus
just clean the lens i had the same problem

a- Dec 30, 2009 01:56PM
Thanks mate,, my dad got a new laptop for Xmas, it stopped reading dvd/cds :( then i found your tip and now it works :D cheers
Answer
+9
moins plus
pls remove the drive frm the system and check wheather the lens is problem or reading ic is problem and change the correct one.....

jenz- Apr 21, 2010 11:41AM
i was trying to fix my problem for about an hour now, i just cleaned the lens and it works!!
Sam I Am- Apr 22, 2010 04:43AM
Cool,
Thanks for the guys that said clean the lens. I just used Windex glass cleaner on a cotton swab and that was it. It worked instantly.

It used to read DVDs with no problems whatsoever but not CDs. Now they both work.

Technology mysteries :)

Thanks again
Answer
+6
moins plus
hello,
this is a typical problem with dvd roms and you cant do anything with it.

you will have to change the dvd rom thats all you will have to do.

Thanks

Kenshin- Apr 1, 2009 09:49PM
guys! I'm just a newbie right here. i also have some problems with my dvd drive. But this problems is somewhat opposite of what's happening to you guys. My dvd drive CAN read CDs BUT it CAN'T read DVDs!!! Its a laptops drive and to think it is a multi-layer dvd burner (Optiarc DVD-RW AD 7640s). It CAN READ CDs, it CAN'T BURN CDs, it CAN'T READ DVDs and CAN'T BURN DVDs. Any one has any idea??? Please....
stephen- Oct 21, 2009 10:38AM
my dvd rom was not working and i change it put new one inside and set everything in it . i power on and put a cd in to try to play and there was no cd to play. i would like to no why i fixed new cd rom and the machie could recorgnest it. thank you and hoppy i will receive good messege
prakash- Feb 19, 2010 12:51AM
yeah i got same problem and i done it just you can cheng drive slave to master or master to slave its work but slow performance yes only 25 % speed read and write also
AARRGGHHH- Apr 8, 2010 09:14PM
On an IDE system, DVDs sometimes require too much power for an IDE-1 slave connection. Use IDE-1 Master, or IDE-0 Slave. At least, this worked for my LG not reading DVDs.
georgesjeandenis 24Posts Friday July 6, 2012Registration date March 9, 2013 Last seen - Mar 9, 2013 07:03PM
This is not always a lens' problem. It maybe a case of the re-install 's.

Case in point: I re-installed Windows-XP for a friend, plus I installed Windows-7 for him on that same machine on another partition.

Result :
- the DVD optical drive reads both DVD's and CD's on Windows-XP &
- the DVD optical drive reads only DVD's and not CD's on Windows-7 on that same machine on another partition.

I would say like AARRGGHHH:
It looks like an IDE-0 Master to IDE-1 Slave problem, since there is nothing wrong with the lens' themselves. Either that or the fact that it's missing drivers when working with Windows-7.
Answer
+4
moins plus
Hi, I just saw your message about the DVD rom not reading CD's. I have the same problem... Have you found a solution yet or should I just buy a new one?

Thanx,
Estelle

goham- Jan 5, 2010 08:36PM
Hi, if you cdrom/dvd unit read dvd's but not cd-rom just use a tiny piece of cotton with small amount of alcohol and carefully clean the lenses, but if you cdrom/dvd unit read cd-roms but not dvd's, maybe u need to add an special dvd reading program or actualization
thesims2issues- Jan 30, 2010 12:54PM
Do you use rubbing acohol{sp]?
barbar- May 1, 2010 02:10PM
don't use cotton, it'll scratch the lense, use some soft cloth instead
Undefined1234567890- May 19, 2010 05:39AM
Why not get some foam and stick little strips on a CD and apply some spirit on the foam and just insert in in the CD-ROm ...it will surely help you
Answer
+4
moins plus
my sims 2 double deluxe is not working on my widows vista dvd rom! it's like there's not evn a disc there!

thesims2issues- Jan 30, 2010 12:57PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1500(not sure about number) and it reads the double deluxe but it doesnt read freetime or teen style stuff. Those two are both cd roms but they wont read. I put the second disk of freetime in there and it said plz put in disk 1. what do i do?
Answer
+3
moins plus
Q: Why won't my DVD player work when I move it over to the extended display?

A: Some DVD playback software packages do not support playing on a second display adapter of any kind.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Dear All,
you only have to find the firmware of the DVD and run it. Make sure when you run the firmware all program are closed and disable your Antivirus. This is what I have tested today and it worked. Hope you all get the same results.

Answer
+1
moins plus
It may be due to Eye problem in the Sensor. It will detect only DVD's and not CD's. So i think it is a Lens eye problem.

Answer
+1
moins plus
hi shockman,
yes its a typical problem with dvd roms and unfortunately right now don't have any solution but as soon as i got one i'll be back to u ;-)

Answer
+0
moins plus
The only solution i can tell you is to buy another one...

ziggypio- Jan 14, 2009 12:05AM
I just installed windows vista last week on my new computer. The cd rom drive worked. It is a hp lightscribe dvd Rw and it istalled one game. Then it stoped working. This cd rom works on my other computer but not in mine as does the one in the other computer in mine. Could it be a problem with the mother board? The connection is with a Gigabyte technology band not with a cord unlike my hard drive.
Any suggestions??
Answer
+0
moins plus
LG dvd rom cnot reading dvd's plz salow the prablam<souligne>

Answer
+0
moins plus
YEAH I Hving the same plromlum but its playing cds dont dvds it says that theres a decoder prolum

someguy- Jan 17, 2009 04:19PM
I would try Cleaning the lens first

Open your PC clean out any dust

Then try it again see what happens

Seeing how it still reads DVDs I would believe the lens just need to be cleaned and are not damaged
sancheese- Jan 28, 2009 12:04PM
ran cleanlens cd, the computer picked it up, but after it finished i put a game in and it still wont load!!!
Someguy- Feb 1, 2009 11:09PM
Try updating your Drivers
If that doesn't work you need a new rom
Guru- Mar 31, 2010 10:21AM
HI everyone i had the same problem my DVD ROM is reading the DVD data properly but its not reading the CD Data properly. When ever i insert a CD which contains data its reading as a new cd and requesting to write in it. How could this be possible Pls help me out .

Thanks in advance dudes
Answer
+0
moins plus
yeah i was able to burn blank media (mostly blank DL discs) on my dell my dvd drive model is GSA-H21N A105 if anyone can help me out

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hey dude,
The easiest way is to very carefully eject out your DVD-RW from your CPU's Cabinet and then 'VERY CAREFULLY' clean its lens. That's all I do and my DVD-RW to make it work.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Well I had a problem similiar and maybe my advice can help you. First of all here is the problem I had. I have a DVD-RAM drive. It couldnt read DVD Videos or DVD Games. It could however read regular CD's. After a bit of frustration I talked to one of my buddies and found that he said it was a problem with the laser reading your DVD's. He told me to get a lens cleaner CD. I didnt have one so I went to my bathroom grabbed a cue tip and some rubbing alcohol and dipped the cue tip in it. I dabbed it a bit so it wasnt soaking wet with the alcohol. I then opened my dvd ram drive's trap and rubbed the laser lens with the cue tip. I inserted the dvd disk and it worked. All you need is a cue tip and rubbing alcohol and you win. I hope this helped.

Pamelann- Apr 19, 2010 05:44PM
He is absolutely correct! I did it and immediately it worked for me
Billy Mac Joe- May 14, 2010 05:24AM
I have to say I didn't get too technical and just used the end of my cotton t-shirt really really lightly and it worked straight away.
Answer
+0
moins plus
I had the same problem. I just cleaned my lens with a damp (not wet) q-tip, then dried it with a dry q-tip. My driver now works again!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Whoah... hang on there!!!

Maybe I read the posts too quick & someone has already suggested simply uninstalling the player (double-click on it in device manager) & then re-installing (does it almost automatically if you click on "add new hardware" in control panel).

Maybe try it before throwing the player away or opening it up? (and it's a good idea to use canned air for cleaning electrical & optical components - it's cheap enough at PC stores)

Good luck. Wolfy :)

1 2 Next
This document entitled « DVD ROM not reading CDs » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.