Downgrade Win 2008 Server to 2003 Server

Solved/Closed
dutara Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday March 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2008 - Mar 11, 2008 at 07:54 PM
 raj - Jul 14, 2011 at 01:11 AM
Hello,

I am trying to install W2003 Server. I am told that MS no longer do 2003 Server licences, and that now the only way of getting a licensed W2003 Server installation is to use 2008 server media. I've been given a legitimate licensed 2008 Server DVD, apparently downloaded from MS. However, when I run it I see no option to install 2003 Server, and after I've run through the installation of 2008 Server, I do not see any way
- to downgrade the 2008 Server installation to 2003 Server
- to create a 2003 licence key from the 2008 licence key for use with 2003 Server media.

Thus for now I'm stuck with a 2008 Server installation.

Has anyone got this to work? Alternatively, is there an easier way of getting a legitimately licensed 2003 Server installation?
Related:

14 responses

Microsoft's documentation is sketchy on how you obtain Volume License Keys
for products when you are using Downgrade Rights to install an earlier
version.

The documentation out there says to contact "Microsoft Fulfillment Services"
for your region. If you Google that phase you'll get nowhere. What is
should really say is contact the "Microsoft Activation Center" and request
a Volume License Key for you product.

This is the number for the center in the US region (888) 352-7140

(http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

You will need the Agreement number and License number (not the license key)
from your original product to get a downgrade license sent to you.

I just used this a few minutes ago to downgrade from Server 2008 to 2003R2.
You can directly go for sql server 2008. It has the backup compressor so will occupy less space only...
hey u got it worng dude, he is not asking abt sql he is asking abt operating system if I am not mistaken.......
I too face the same problem, where Microsoft has shipped 2008 x64 bit OS. I find it difficult to get Win 2003 x64 bit Volume License Media.

As a temporary measure, installed win 2003 x64 bit trail with the evaluation key and started using for SAP production. Now the key has expired and unable to logon to the server. I could login only using Safe Mode.

Presently I have Win 2003 Value license key & win 2008 VLK but only 2008 x64 bit media.

This CD is required at Hyderabad immediately. Can anyone help gettng the CD or URL for downloading x64 Win 2003?
Here's what I found:

On the page https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/?ocid=cloudplat_hp at the bottom it says:

Q. Do I get downgrade rights if I receive my server license with the purchase of new hardware through an OEM or if I acquire my software through a retail store? A. Yes. Downgrade rights are applicable regardless of which channel you used to acquire your license.

Q. I understand that I get downgrade rights, but where do I go to get the other media and product key? A. If you purchased licenses via Volume Licensing, you can obtain media and keys via the Volume Licensing Service Center. For OEM and FPP customers, you can order a fulfillment kit via the Windows Server Fulfillment Site. For more information, please click here.
Clicking `here' takes you to:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/?ocid=cloudplat_hp

In the 5th paragraph, under Windows Server 2008 R2 Downgrade Licensing Rights, it says:

The following table shows the available downgrade options for each edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 the customer is licensed to use. If a customer already has media and product activation keys for the earlier version of the product for which the customer already has downgrade rights, the customer can use that media and keys to downgrade to an earlier version. If the customer does not have media and keys, please see below on how to obtain a fulfillment kit only and which versions and editions are available for order.

Later on that page under "Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) Customers", then under "Obtaining Product Keys and Media for Previous Versions", it says:

1. From a previous license. Customers may use media and/or a product key from a previous license in order to install, activate and run an earlier version of the product. The product key and media must match. If the product key being used has already been activated, the customer may not be able to activate over the internet. In these cases, the customer will be prompted to call the Activation Support Line and explain their circumstances to the Customer Service Representative. Once it is determined that the end user has a valid Windows Server license the Customer Service Representative will help them activate their software. For more information on Product Activation Call Centers go to http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx Some OEMs have pre-activated their software. In these cases, a customer would not need to activate over the internet or via the phone.

Option 2 is that my OEM may provide `downgrade Windows Server 2003 R2 media' and then only `only if their customer requests it'.

Option 3 eventually takes one to a Microsoft site which lets you order a Windows Server 2003 R2 CD for $20.00.

So, bottom line, the downgrade is do-able, but it wasn't an easy path to find out how to do it. Maybe by telling you we can prevent some other poor soul from having to dig around for the information...

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
If you wish to downgrade you must use 2003 server media for installation. This must be a VLK license under a current eopen/campus agreement. You can access your product keys through the eopen web site after adding your agreement and authorization information, you will see a key for 2008 and 2003. Enjoy!
Hi all,
just bought a new dell 2900 a week ago and a new ms license for 2003 though they said this would work also for 2008.
My trouble is installing using the dell sys mgt cd to install OS. When it reaches at 70% and asks for the ms server sp 2 cd, it ejects. I tried also one with sp 1 but still ejetcs the cd. does some one know what the problem is?
Not sure exactly bf, the media I used already has SP2 installed. try downloading the following image, burn it to disk, then insert it when prompted by the OS install util...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B9FE9E4-1D57-4698-A5CF-DB271ED6D90A&displaylang=en
perhaps the second disk is the R2 disk that turns 2003 server into 2003 server R2?
This happens first go around sometimes if installing this way to an unpartitioned hard drive, setup gets confused...

Just reboot the system & start over, the system will then assign the OS to drive C:\ & all will be well..
For GODS SAKE STOP the "me too" crap. me too me too me too me too me too me too me too me too me too me too me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't have anything useful to add, then DON'T COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
SickAndTired2
May 24, 2011 at 07:58 PM
Me too agree with SickAndTired.
I was just told by Dell that they're no longer (for quite some time) allowed to issue or sell open licensing media. All they could do was open a ticket with microsft which I have to call into and give them my agreement number afterwhich Microsoft will accept my money and send me the media. I called them but they're closed for the day, so I will try them again tomorrow.
I had a similar problem,

What you must do is go back to the persons/Company who you bought the Wndows 2008 from and ask them to supply you with the Windows 2003 CD which they will download from the Microsoft Site and use to do your Install.

Brian Edwardsd
You must use a Windows 2003 Server CD to install. Use any serial that belongs to anybody and meets same version (oem/corp etc) of media used

then, once installed, it will ask for activation, use phone option and talk to a microsoft person, explain you are doing downgrade and they will ask for installation id. if correct, they will give you an activacion code.

after that you will have an licensed w2003 server installation

see you
Hi all,

I have same problem. I want to install server 2003 64 bits because the server 2008 made my data application software crash and I have 16G memory in my server. Is there any way to get the bootable ISO win server 2003 64 bits? Thanks for any help and direction.

Best reagrds

John
wesam2009 Posts 2 Registration date Friday July 10, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 11, 2009
Jul 11, 2009 at 05:01 AM
I am trying to install W2003 Server. I am told that MS no longer do 2003 Server licences, and that now the only way of getting a licensed W2003 Server installation is to use 2008 server media. I've been given a legitimate licensed 2008 Server DVD, apparently downloaded from MS. However, when I run it I see no option to install 2003 Server, and after I've run through the installation of 2008 Server, I do not see any way
- to downgrade the 2008 Server installation to 2003 Server
- to create a 2003 licence key from the 2008 licence key for use with 2003 Server media.

I also want to know I there is any Extra Fees for downgrading to windows server 2003\64bit Enterprice
I purchased 2008 OLP license but the HP servers Which I purchaed from vendor he insatlled Windows 2003 OEM from him self.Now I have OLP licenses certificate but on servers OEM os it legal. I cannot format servers and install applications as it is a big deal. Any suggestion plz.
shahidmallik Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 7, 2010
Feb 7, 2010 at 04:43 AM
I purchased 2008 OLP license but the HP servers Which I purchaed from vendor he insatlled Windows 2003 OEM from him self.Now I have OLP licenses certificate but on servers OEM os it legal. I cannot format servers and install applications as it is a big deal. Any suggestion plz.
Hello,
if you have DVD/CD for the server 2008, you can boot your computer from the DVD, then you can re-partition and format the hard drive which installed your server 2003. The better is, before you delete the server 2003, you should make sure you have a DVD copy for the server 2003. In the future, maybe you want to get back for the server 2003. And, if you have some special hardware configuration, you should record them first and download the supported driver for server 2008 for your hardware. Or you can call Microsoft service for detailed help. The Microsoft phone service is very useful.

Good luck

John
Have you found a solution to this yet? I'm having the same issue.

Thanks,

JD