How do you map / arrange 2 Excel flat files

Closed
GrievousAngel - Oct 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Nov 11, 2009 at 06:34 PM
Hello,

I need to map one Excel (or could be Access) flat file into another Excel (or Access) file. there are many common fields (cells) but are not arranged in the same order (which is where i get lost)!

I can work in Excel or Access 2007 versions.

is it as simple as copying the source db fields (cells) and then pasting the (copy) field (cell) under the proper location in the destination db? if so, do you have to put inside quotes, etc? suggestions?

i don't care if i have to do it manually but a script / batch would be better of course.

what i am trying to do is import my eBay items into my on-line eStore for more market exposure. i have been trying to do this for 3 weeks now. help!

sincere thanks,

billy
Related:

4 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Oct 24, 2009 at 03:38 PM
what is the source of the data?

you can 'import' your data into excel if the data is in csv format. that is that the data is seperated by a coma. excel sees each coma as a signal to add the data to the next field.

for example:

name, address, postcode,telephone no

excel would import this and create the fields with the above data and add the data to each field.

each record needs to be on a new line.

For access, you can import an excel file into access in the same manner and it will create the tables for you.

to help you further, please explain how you are gathering your ebay data, and how is the data stored in your web site. the website should explain about importing data.
GrievousAngel Posts 5 Registration date Friday October 23, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 7, 2010
Oct 24, 2009 at 07:03 PM
Right, I understand that. What i am asking is what else do i need to do to map a different db into theoriginal db field/cell nlayout since teh field arrangements are not in the same o5de.

this would appear to be common task but the mechanics of how to cut and paste the fields is not clear to me yet.

thanks,
billy
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Nov 4, 2009 at 03:51 PM
Have a read of the following, it may help you.
http://www.exceldigest.com/
GrievousAngel
Nov 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM
Thanks for the reply.

One other question:

how can i open two different Excel files into one excel file so i can follow teh copy and special paste desribed in teh link above?

thanks,
billy
Nov 11, 2009 at 06:34 PM
you can have more than one workbook open at one time.
open the workbooks that you require, then select view/arrange all from the ribbon.
you can have each workbook displayed side by side or one above the other.
it's handy if you have 2 monitors as you can then display one work book on one screen and the other on the other screen.

hope that helps