Want to restore dell inspiron 500 laptop

Solved/Closed
sam - Oct 25, 2009 at 03:12 PM
 sam - Oct 28, 2009 at 01:15 PM
Hello,
I am trying to restore my dell inspiron500 laptop(windows xp) using your directions by pressing f8 but I do not get the correct menu. I get a windows advanced Options menu and there is no option saying Repair your computer.
The options are: safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, safe mode with comand prompt, enable boot logging, enable vga mode, last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, start windows normally, reboot, and return to os choices menu

Please advise me on what I should do.

Thankyou
Sam
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Oct 25, 2009 at 03:21 PM
Restoring A Dell Laptop's Operating System to Its Original Configuration

Newer Dell laptops are configured with a partitioned hard drive that has the original operating system safely behind the partition. A built-in "PC Restore" program allows one to restore the PC to it's original newly shipped/purchased state by following a few easy steps. Before reloading always (1) back up any data you have saved on your hard drive and (2) have your software CDs (like Microsoft Office) ready to reinstall after the restoration. Restoration instructions can be found in the Owner's Manual under Solving problems > Restoring your operating system > Dell PC Restore. The reloading process is accomplished in a few minutes.

To use PC Restore:

1. Turn on the computer. During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2. Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press Ctrl + F11. If you do not press Ctrl + F11 in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the computer again.
Note: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3. On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

4. On the next screen, click Confirm. The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

5. When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
Note: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

6. When prompted, click Yes.

7. The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

8. Click Next. The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

9. After the computer restarts, click OK. Your hard drive should now be restored to its original configuration.
I press ctrl+ f11 and can't seem to get the restore menu. I keep missing it. The blue bar fills up very fast and then I hear a beep and then windows starts up. I have tried about 10 times and can't seem to get it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some trick?