Motorola 2210 DSL Modem with WRT54G Linksys

Solved/Closed
jasapp Posts 2 Registration date Monday August 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 12, 2008 - Aug 12, 2008 at 02:36 PM
 Sandeep - Aug 29, 2010 at 03:13 PM
My son's uses AT&T (SBC) dsl for his high speed internet connectivity. He eventually came into possession of two PCs, a desktop that he used for school and a laptop that his son used for school - BUT he was setup to only get out to the Internet via one PC at a time. In other words, the 'in use' PC was connected to the Motorola 2210 dsl modem via an ethernet cable. When he wanted a PC to browse the internet he was constantly switching that ethernet cable - unplugging it from one PC and plugging it into the other PC.

He lives in a two story house - and neither of the computers were in the same room, much less on the same floor. So, he was using a 100 foot ethernet cable to connect the PC 'in use' to the dsl modem.

Eventually a time came when it became a battle of who was going to be able to get out to the Internet - i.e., sharing the same connection just wasn't an option anymore as more and more of the classes that he and his son were taking was via the Internet. In addition, he decided that he wanted to get a ROKU Netflix box so he could watch netflix movies (via a Internet connection) on his television.

I decided to try and help him set up a wireless network in his home. I didn't figure it would be a lot different than the sort of network I have here. My 'input' to the outside world is via a Motorola cable modem supplied by Time Warner. It is connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless modem. Off that wireless modem I am gaining access to the Internet for 2 PCs, 2 laptops, 2 ROKU Netflix boxes and 3 TIVO boxes. In addition, I have a vonage modem connected to the WRT54G via an ethernet connection.

So, I purchased for him a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Linksys Wireless-B adapter - he only needed one adapter as the Dell laptop already had wireless 'built in'. While I was still at my own home, I configured his WRT54G router to the exact same settings as I had for my house - and to test it out, I switched my existing with this new one and everything still ran smoothly. Additionally, I set up the wireless on his Dell laptop at my home so there would be no problem with it making connectivity to the Linksys wireless router when he got it to his home.

Then I set out for his house with the new Linksys WRT54G router. Leaving everything 'as is' on his Motorola 2210 dsl modem I simply connected that Ethernet cable coming out of it from his PC into the 'Internet' ethernet connection on the back of the Linksys WRT54G router.

My first test was to see if the Dell laptop could get out to the Internet. Well, the Dell had no problem getting to the Linksys router, it had a very strong signal - but it couldn't get out to the Internet.

Baffled, I then connected the desktop PC to the Linksys via an Ethernet cable from the desktop to Ethernet slot 1 on the WRT54G. The desktop PC had no trouble getting to the Linksys, but couldn't get out to the Internet.

I then plugged the Linksys Wireless B adapter into the desktop PC, removed the Ethernet connection between the desktop and the WRT54G router, rebooted everything - and now I could get to from the desktop PC to the Linksys wireless router - but could not get to the Internet.

More baffled than ever, I then changed the connectivity between the Motorola 2210 dsl modem and the Linksys WRT54G wireless modem by removing the plug going into the 'Internet' slot of the WRT54G and plugging it instead into ethernet 'slot 1' of the WRT54G. Then, of course, I could get out to the Internet via the Dell laptop and via the desktop PC - but NOT AT THE SAME TIME. Which wasn't too surprising.

So, I went home and read up everything I could find and just 'didnt see the light' if you know what I mean. Obviously a dsl modem didn't seem to speak to a wireless modem in the same manner that a cable modem did.

In all that reading, which was mostly other people grasping to find answers and very few if any people who were giving them solutions, I read something that made ABSOLUTELY no sense to me - but I decided to give it a try. The next day I drove back to my son's house and made this one change. I changed the IP address of the WRT54G from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. And it worked - I could then bring up browsers on both the laptop and the desktop AT THE SAME TIME. Everything seemed to be working just fine so I packed up my gear and went home.

Several days later, their new ROKU Netflix box arrives and they connect it up to their PC and have no problem getting it connected to their network. BUT, the response time is poor which is reflected in the quality of the picture they are receiving - and the movie keeps having to load and reload. When they finally get annoyed enough, they call me. So, via the phone, we did some troubleshooting.

First I had them shut everything down - and then just bring up the laptop. Then run a speed test to see what kind of speed they were getting (https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ - and it was 2565kbps. Well, since their sbc provider says they should get UP TO 3000kbps I figure thats no so bad - but not so great either.
Then I have them bring up netflix via the IE browser so they can watch a movie on the laptop - and they say the picture is ok and it starts up pretty quickly and keeps running.

Next, I have them start up the HP desktop and run the speedtest. Now the speed is down around 700kbps. They bring up netflix via the IE browser and when they try to start a movie it says that is is going to take about 45 minutes to buffer the start of the movie rather than the one minute that you would expect.

Then I have them start up the ROKU Netflix box connected to the tv. Well, that fails miserably.

Bottom line, it is now apparent to me that the 'supposed' 3000kbps signal is being split between all three scenarios they have going on - and since 3000 isn't a lot, this is going to be a real challenge.

At the end of 'night one' of trying to get Netflix working on both the ROKU Netflix box connected to the television and yet another movie running at the same time on the Netflix browser windon on the desktop PC - I tried one last thing and had them connect both the ROKU Netflix box and the desktop PC to the WRT54G linksys wireless box via ethernet cables. So, we're back to running 100 foot ethernet cables throughout the house. They were getting great reception on both movies then. But this is certainly not the 'solution' we are hoping for! And does this mean that if you connect to a linksys wireless router via ethernet your signal DOESN'T get split?

So a new day starts and I decide to run some tests on my own network in my home - using my 6000-7000 kbps cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless modem. And running https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ periodically as I start things up or shut them down.

1) One desktop PC turned on
Speedtest result - 6869 kbps

2) Two ROKU Netflix boxes on, 1 PC on, 2 laptops on
started both ROKU Netflix movies at approximately the exact same time
picture was ok on both Netflix ROKU, but one ROKU had to do a quick reload about one minute into the movie
Speedtest result - 2172 kbps

3) Two ROKU Netflix boxes on, 1 PC on, 1 laptop on
movies playing smoothly and with excellent picture
Speedtest result - 4739 kbps

4) Two ROKU Netflix boxes on, 1 PC on
this time I did four 'tests' several minutes apart since I started to realize that the movies aren't doing their 'read ahead' and buffering at the same time once the movie gets started, so the speeds are going to vary - at no point thought did the ROKU picture ever get worse and never did it need to do a reconnection
Speedtest result - 2897 kbps
Speedtest result - 2173 kbps
Speedtest result - 3251 kbps
Speedtest result - 6900 kbps

5) One ROKU on, 1 PC on
Speedtest result - 3702 kbps
Speedtest result - 6870 kbps

I guess the only main thing these tests really proved to me is
1) the devices are sharing the approx 7000 kbps that I have available
2) BUT, they aren't all 'using' bandwidth all the time
3) AND, if my bandwith available goes below 2500 kbps I start having a 'mild' problem when trying to show a netflix movie at DVD quality

I know it took a long time to get to this point, but my questions are:
1) Do I have his network configured correctly?
2) Will we ever be able to get enough bandwidth using the SBC dsl connection or should he switch over to a high speed cable connection?
3) Why the heck is everything working so great when using ethernet cables to connect the devices to the linksys wireless router?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!!

27 responses

Here are some answers to a lot of your questions, as well as some explanations.

-You mentioned that you had to change the router to 192.168.2.1 to work...here is why:

In order for a router to work properly, the WAN (internet), and LAN (home network) connection must be on two different networks. By default, the Motorola 2210 uses 192.168.1.0/24 as the default network, and gives a single IP address to a connect device, such as a laptop or PC. The WRT54G that you are using connects to the modem in the exact same way. This method of Automatic IP address assignment is called DHCP. By default, the WRT54G (and most routers) use this configuration for the WAN, or Internet, connection. In order for devices to connect to the router, they must be on a network that is different from that of the DSL modem. Changing the LAN, or home network side, of the router interface to 192.168.2.1, changes the network that it is on. The router now can forward packets between your home network and the Internet successfully.

-There is a difference with AT&T DSL and RR Cable Internet devices:

The main difference is Cable modems use the Automatic DHCP connection by default, and give a World-Wide IP address directly to the modem without authentication (RR uses one-time only MAC address registrations on a per modem basis). DSL modems, require a PPPoE connection. This Point-to-Point protocol requires a username and password before an IP address is given. If you connect to the DSL modem you will see that you are required to enter your username (name@sbcglobal.net) and password. Read below on different ways to configure this connection.

-There are multiple ways to setup this connection, here are a couple:

1. Change the DSL modem to initiate the PPPoE connection on the Computer (by default it is set to modem). To do this log into the DSL modem at 192.168.1.254. Enter the access code and enter advanced configuration and change the PPPoE settings. Changing this setting means that the PPPoE connection must now be configured on the Router. You must now change the WRT54G router from "Dynamic - DHCP" to "PPPoE". Enter the DSL username and password, and now your router will have a 69.X.X.X (or similar) IP address. If you use this method you can leave your router set to 192.168.1.1. This method is most preferred in my opinion.

2. Leave the DSL modem with the PPPoE connection at the modem (default). This means you must reconfigure the router to have a different IP address than 192.168.1.1 (as explained above).

3. Change the DSL modem to Bridged Mode. This method requires you to enter the PPPoE information at the modem, bridges the connection and gives the router a World-Wide IP address. This method is least preferred in my opinion.

**Here are my recommendations for optimised configuration of hardware:
-Use Wireless G adapters at a minimum, N if possible.
-Buy a DSL modem (or Cable Modem) rather than a DSL modem/router combo box (such as 2WIRE)
-Purchase a WRT160N (10/100 LAN) or WRT310N (Gigabit LAN) Wireless-N router.
-(advanced) Install DD-WRT Firmware v24 SP1 *note: this firmware is open source but greatly increases the performance of your router, and also simplifies the configuration.

I just threw away my 2WIRE and bought a Motorola 2210 and WRT310N router with DD-WRT and absolutely love it. The configuration is very stable and performance is excellent. Have not had any problems so far and highly recommend this configuration for anyone looking for a high-speed home networking solution. Now that PS3s, XBOX 360s, Media Servers are becoming more and more common, configurations such as these are becoming more and more important.
My wrt54g problem is solved. There was no router problem. It was all Charter. Charter showed up and found that their splitter on the outside box was screwed up. So they replaced that and gave me a new motorola cable modem. It was so fast they had to install a splitter behind the cable modem. I now get exactly the same speed behind the router as I do behind the cable modem.
Hi- maybe you can help me. I am using a motorola cable modem that I had previously used a year ago. I just signed up for cable internet again and when to hook everything up and my computer can not connect to the modem. I thought it was the ethernet port as the port doesn't light up when a cord is plugged in (I have tried multiple cords), so I tried to reinstall the modem with a USB cable instead- still no luck, it says the computer can't connect to the modem. BUT I can plug the modem into my wireless router and use the modem with my wireless card.(Although it does kick me off several times a sitting and I have to reconnect.) The cable company says its an issue with my computer, Compaq says they have no idea why it wouldn't work, so I am stuck. I would like to occassionally use the modem directly for a faster connection and don't know what to try next. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Thank you so much for your post! I called AT&T tech spport b/c I figured it had to be my modem for the reason I could not connect to the internet and they were going to charge me $69 to try and help me so I figurd I would search the internet a little more. I had set everything up on my router for a PPOE and just could not understand why it did not work. So reading through your post I decided to set the connection back to the DHCP setting and change the IP address to 192.168.2.1 and it worked! Thank you again!
Beej,
Thank you for your long post on how to fix the connection between my Motorola 2210 and Linksys. IT WORKED. I am so glad that I found your post. You are a lifesaver.
I've been having the same problems and just got off the phone with Linksys to help me figure out how to fix it. It works now and I didn't have to change my IP address to 192.168.2.1. First off, they had me restart both my modem and router. Hold the reset button for about 30 seconds for both. Unplug the power to the router and modem. After about another 30 seconds plug the power back into the router. Then, take the ethernet cable that came with the router and plug it into Port 1 of the router, then into the Internet Port on the back of your computer. Open up Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of your router (mine was 192.168.1.1, I think they're all the same). When a log in box pops up, type in "admin" for the password and hit enter. After the Linksys screen pops up, under "Setup" their should be another tab labled "MAC Adress Clone". Click that. Once you are their, make sure "Enable" is selected and hit "Clone Your PC's MAC". Then save your settings. Next to the "Setup" tab should be "Wireless". Click on that and then click the "Wireless Security" tab. Change the Security Mode to WEP. Then type in a 10 digit strand of numbers in Key 1. REMEMBER THESE NUMBERS. It will be your Security Key to sign on to the router. Then save your settings. Now, under "Setup" again, change the "Local IP address" to 10.10.10.1. Save you settings again. I think this should be all that you have to do. After this is all completed connect the router to the modem and plug the power in. Hope this helps.
Gene_ThePackRat
Sep 16, 2008 at 01:34 PM
1) It sounds like you have everything connected/networked correctly.
2) I don't think cable would help, your bandwidth issue is internal networking wireless vs cat5e network cable, not ISP bandwidth DSL vs cable modem.
3) This is the key to your problems. Wireless speeds are much slower than cabled speeds. Your average cabled connection is at 1000mps whereas most wireless connections (including this router, iirc) are at 10mps to 12mps. Some newer technology wireless devices are up in the 50mps, which is still half of most cat5/cabled connections. This router's been out for a few years, I don't think it's wireless is up there as far as speed goes.

In general, any device is going to be as slow as the slowest connection to it. Think of it as a pipe carrying water;
Your DSL modem is a 6" pipe, your in-house cat5 cabled network is a 10" pipe and your wireless is a 2" pipe. You can get more bandwidth from your ISP, in effect increasing the 6" pipe, but that won't change the amount of data that can flow through your wireless 2" pipe.
Conversely, one 10" cabled connection already maxes out the incoming data flow through your 6" dsl pipe. Adding additional lines, wired or wireless, cannot increase that flow. A second 10" wired connection will effectively split the 6" incoming data flow. This is a situation where the ISP can provide greater bandwidth and it would help you because they're effectively giving you an 8" data pipe.
One last thing to consider before jumping from DSL to cable modem is the minimum bandwidth. DSL goes from your hous to the switching station into a trunk. It's going to be a fairly constant data throughput. Cable modems split off the cable line as it comes down the street. As your neighbors come home and get online, your bandwidth will decrease. It's the same pipe analogy, just with a lot larger pipes and more people tapping into them. You should ask the cable company what is the minimum guarenteed bandwidth they provide, and what they'll do if it's not met.

Hope this helps,
-Gene
Excellent explanation, thank you!
In response to not being able to get online with the DSL connected via the router ;

You need to go into the DSL moded 192.168.1.254

Go to the advanced options and change the setting from "PPPoE on the Modem" to Bridged

Restart the modem.

Plug modem into router.

And you will now be able to use the router with the modem and connect to the net.
Hi there,

You seem to know what you're talking about so I'm going to ask you ;)

I have just gotten Verizon DSL and I'm able to access the internet when I have the Ethernet cable plugged in but I need to be able to access the internet wirelessly. When I unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer and into the Linksys wireless router it recognizes the connection but does not let me get into a browser session.

I noticed you said something about changing ip addresses. Can you give me a step by step explanation about how to do this? I'm a little confused about changing the ip address,etc.

Thanks!
Similar problem. Charter modem, WRT54G2 router. D/L speed is 3 Mbps directly through the cable modem but drops to at most 1 Mbps through the router with wireless disabled. Nothing I can do to the router makes any difference.

A friend suggested configuring the modem to simply pass through to the router- the two aren't communicating efficiently, both are set to DNHS. Is changing the modem from PPPoE to Bridged the same as making it dumb and putting the router in charge?
I had the same problem and decide to stick to my WRT54G and Motorola Modem. I have Comcast.
This is the solution that worked for me:
1- Connect the modem to a PC and follow the standard activation procedure until you obtain a connection.
2- Once connected to the internet open a cmd screen and type
ipconfig /all

You will see your internet address and other parameters. Pick one of your obtained DNS addresses and get the DNS name by typing:
nslookup <WHATEVER DNS IP ADDRESS>

The command will respond with a string such as this one:
npls3-pdhcp.bonitasprngs.fl.naples.comcast.net
Make note of that address.

3- From the same ipconfig /all command obtain the MAC address of your computer and note it down

So far so good.
4- Now connect your PC to the WRT54G router via ethernet cable and connect the modem to to it via the WAN port. Do not attempt wireless for now. You don't need to turn off the modem either.

5- Renew your computer IP address by typing in the cmd screen:
ipconfig /renew
Your IP address will be different now. Perhaps something like 192.168.1.100. Make note of the gateway address below. (Example: 192.168.1.1)

6- Open Internet explorer and type the router address in the form http://192.168.1.1 hit enter to access your router. Enter Admin and your password. Default router password is admin.

7- Once in your router review your configurations and make note of your parameters. Gather all this informations as you will need to reset the router. Note all the parameters under the Wireless link. If you miss to obtain this information you will also need to reconfigure your wireless clients. You may want to note down any gaming ports you have opened and similar configurations

8- Using a pen, depress the reset button at the back of your router. Wait 30 seconds and release. Your router is back to factory settings and ready to connect to the modem.

9- Access the router via IE with the default parameteres:
http://192.168.1.1
user: admin
password: admin

10- First thing to do is to is to isolate your LAN from your WAN by assigning your router a different IP address. Click Setup and under Basic Setup, change the Local IP address to 192.168.2.1. Note that you will need to remember this address to access the router in the future. Verify that DHCP for the local network is Enabled.

11- Make sure Automatic Configuration - DHCP is selected at the top of the page.

12- In the Domain Name field type the dns you found in step 2 (example npls3-pdhcp.bonitasprngs.fl.naples.comcast.net)

13- Click the Save Settings button

14-Click MAC Address Clone link. Enter the MAC address obtained in step 3 and click Clone Your PC's MAC button.
15- Click Save Settings.

16- Power Off your router by unplugging the AC adapter. Wait 30 secs and plug it back.

17 From your ethernet connected PC renew your Ip by typing at a cmd screen
ipconfig /renew

18- Observe the now you show the DNS string next to Connection-specific DNS Suffix.

19- Test connection to a familiar site such as Google

20 - Go back to your router, this time use 192.168.2.1 as this is the new permanent address. Configure your wireless settings. Set your SSID and WEP or WPA parameters back.

21- Go to each of your wireless clients and reboot them. If your parameters are the same you will be happily browsing!
I also had a problem with the download speed. But after performing the steps you described above it works awesome now. Just like I was connected through an ethernet wire. You the man. Thanks so much.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Man, I love the magic of the Internet and Google!!!

My dad has the Motorola 2210 router and the Linksys WRT54G2 and was experiencing the exact same issue. His laptop was able to connect to the wireless network, but neither it nor his desktop (wired to the Slot 1 ethernet port) were to access the Internet.

The IP address change worked. Dad is now up and surfing away from multiple computers and I look like a hero.

Thank you so much for sharing!
If anyone is still looking for an answer, here is what I did. It's pretty simple, actually.

There are two problems with connecting the linksys router to the 2210, and both are easy to fix.

1. Both the linksys and the 2210 are in the 192.168.1.0 network. it's best if they are in different networks. I was/am using the 192.168.0.0 network on the router. I changed to 192.168.2.0 network like linksys says, but that didn't solve my problem.

2. The second problem is the MTU values don't match. The linksys router has an MTU size of 1500, the 2210 has an mtu size of 1492. I changed the MTU size in the router to match the modem (1492), everything came up.

I had other devices in my network that were already configured for the 192.168.0.0 network ( a print server, some other stuff that needs static IP addresses). Of course, I couldn't reach them with 192.168.2.0 addresses, so I changed my router back to 192.168.0.0 network, and everything works.

Linksys has a very good example on their website, but they don't tell you can use any network except the 192.168.1.0 network. If you are just getting started, it doesn't matter. configure the router exactly like Linksys says, and you should work. Operating system doesn't matter. You are probably using DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically). If it works with your 2210, it will work with your router.

On the cable modem issue, it depends on the provider. I had Charter cable before I went DSL. I had zero problems. I simply plugged the linksys router (and a netgear router before that) into the cable modem, and they worked just fine. My problems with Charter were not ISP related. I found their tech support staff to be pretty savvy at the time, but don't know now. Their support is now international, and I can't vouch for their knowledge of home networking. On the other hand, I don't know that they can't help you either.
Well I'm not sure about your issue but your previous issue with replacing the .1 with .2 cleared up my problem amazingly, Thank You and good luck
Forgive my total ignorance, but how exactly does one go about "changing the IP address"? I have the Motorola 2210 and LinkSys WRT54G just like others in this forum, and I'd like to try the simple fix before I go to even more headaches on this issue. Thanks!
Number 21 Cubbies works!!! Period. After 2 days of rounds with AT&T and no help, this worked in 5 minutes.
THANK YOU Cubbies!!!
This is all you need to do. You can leave out the WEP Security part if you want to share your wireless without a pasword.
You will need to reconfigure your Modem initial set-up as you did the first time you used it as you reinitialized it with the 30 sec. reset with power on. You will be auto prompted to re-configure at first attempt to browse. Enter your login i.e.( XXX@XXX.net) and your last password. Piece of cake.

Thanks again to #21!!!! Cubbies!!!
Hey guys, thanks for the help. If you want a solution to running the 50 foot ethernet cable, try out Netgears powerline. The box plugs into a house outlet and goes through the house wiring. I don't know how far before the signal gets weak, but mine works fine at 75 feet. Just wanted to pass this along.
Change the settings back to the defaults on the router, then unplug the cable modem power for at least one minute (some modems more), then plug it back in. Lots of cable modems don't reset when a "new computer" (aka the new router) connect to them.
Get Cable and DSL, and hook half of your stuff to one, and half your stuff to the other. I was having the same issues, using the same equipment. I was running on my cable HSI connection:
(connected via Motorola CABLE modem to the WRTG Lynksys wireless router using Ethernet cord)
-My desktop that has to connect to a VPN (port 1 of wireless router)
-My lap top wirelessly
-My vonage phone line thru the vonage router (Port 2 of wireless router)
-and my kids PS2 online (Madden)(port 3 of wireless router)
Just as the previous person said, once everyone in our neighborhood got home from school and work, my speeds decreased significantly. They only all worked at the same time between the hours of 12a - 5a.
I then purchased DSL service with the hopes of having consistent speeds to run them all. No dice. They all worked together, and the speeds were also good, but it disconnected itself a lot, leaving me to have to keep rebooting the DSL modem. We now have our Motorola cable modem conncted to our vonage router and use that for the phone and to play the PS2 online. And we have our Motorola DSL modem connected to the Lynksys Wireless G router to run the desktop and wireless connection for the laptop. It sucks but it works.
If anyone out there knows of a better way to get this all done, let me know.

Thanks
I work for at&t, and if your modem is shuting down or disconnecting even once in day, you need to call and have it looked at. Usually at&t just turns on your service on hoping it will work correctly, but in some cases (like yours) the line needs to be conditioned or the wire in your home needs to be conditioned, possibly you have a phone or a piece of equipment plugged not being filtered, or even modem may be bad. You should get it checked out, your dsl should not shut off multiple times in one day.
ask your cable provider if they have "docsis 3" speed modems available. This will give you 20 -100 mbps download speeds. depending on what you want to pay for. If you then get an "N" wirleless router, you should be able to run all of your stuff off of just the cable connection. Most people get the "basic" speeds from their cable co. and get 6-12 mbps on average, enough to run a "G" router with a few pc's connected.
Hi, I am having the same problem with my DSL connection as well. I have the exact same model of the Wireless router as you do WRT54G2. And my only concern is to get connected to the internet with the three laptops that we have. My first problem is that when I, after carefully following instructions, run the CD on any one of the laptops, I eventually get an error that ther is a problem with the Ethernet cable running from the laptop to the router. After repeatedly re-trying, i get stuck at the same place in the installation, eventually frustrated, I ignored the entire installation & just went into the networks (as I remembered, with cable internet being plug-n-play, I thought this would be too), I enabled the Wireless modem in all the laptops, with the a ethernet cable running from the dsl modem to the router, with everythng on, the laptops pick up full signals from teh router, but none of them are able to connect to the internet. It says 'Locally Connected'. I read in the first comment that you did something to change the IP of the wireless modem? Is it absolutely important to install the CD in order to do that? Or is there a way I can still stop getting 'locally connected' and get connected to the internet!
Please help me, the wireless router booklet is absolutely useless when it comes to trouble shooting. It seems you have overcome the problem I am facing, so if you can kindly guide me, I will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
I'm having similar problems with my WRT54G2. I'm able to connect to the internet (looking at the connections in the network manager of Windows Vista).
A tech from ATT was actually able to read my IP address remotely.
Unfortunately I can't connect to the internet through the browser and the network manager says that my LAN is not recognized.
Let me know if you find a solution to your problem.
Thanks,
rodhower at ameritech dot net
You mention that you bought a wireless B adapter for one of the PCs. B is too slow for video streaming. Wireless G is fine. Morever, if the router is set up to support both wireless B and G clients, the speed will drop down to the slower B for all clients.
Hi,

It seems the sticker on the bottom of my modem with the access code was ripped, and I can't read the whole thing. Is there any way to get this code, maybe calling AT&T?

Thanks!
sf
Leave the DHCP setting alone and change the IP address to 192.168.2.1!

That's all I needed to do. Woohoo, what a headache.
I know this is half a year later, but if you still have questions I'd be more than happy to help. Curious to know where you stand on this issue.

My personal e-mail is pete at mindspring dot com.

Hope to hear from you!

Pete
I have afriend with a Linksys G router by Cisco Model #WRT54G2 hooked up to a cable modem. Whenever router is connected to cable modem the CM cycles (lights) continuously and you can't get online. Without the router ...the modem works fine. The cable guy (great guy) tried three different cCM to try to help but the router cause dthe same issue on all three. He thought maybe incompatibility as he heard of others like it. Any idea what causes this issue?
Just as an FYI because I just wasted four hours of my life on this problem for a 5 minute fix. If none of the above has helped you by this point go here:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G

Second link down under the "FAQS" section and follow the instructions.

The main piece of information that was left out of a lot of the above tips that I ended up needing was going to:
start-run-cmd
ipconfig/release.... wait until it's all zeros
ipconfig/renew....

Go back into the Linksys router page after having changed your Local IP address to 192.168.2.1 as suggested above, go to the far right and click the status tab. You should have numbers in the IP Address line.

Congrats because you should now be on the internet THROUGH your Linksys router.
I guess I should have added that I use a PC running on Windows XP (ancient technology!) and I have Internet Explorer 8 if that makes any difference ...
Andy
replace router with 5 port ethernet switch. dsl modems think they are routers so they don't play well with another