Router disconects when phone gets used

Solved
vicky - Updated on Jun 8, 2017 at 05:06 AM
 Trudi - Jan 27, 2019 at 05:35 PM
Hello,
when I use my phone my sky router box turns off and I lose my internet connection I have phoned sky about this they say its my lap top but it has a new wireless card in and I know its the box as the lights on the frount go from yellow which is ok to orange which is not it means no connection they just dont under stand when I tell them is there any body out there that has the same problem or had same problem and know how to fix it I have changed the fiter over on the phone line and it is not that I dont know what else to do !!:-(
Related:

60 responses

Alright well I have this problem too but mine is a little different from yours.

First of all if your INTERNET is disconnecting when you get a phone call then it's simple to fix. If you're using ADSL then it's probably a filter problem. You'll need to find out what your specific telco company recommends but for me I have the ADSL jacked straight into the wall without a filter. The I have every other device that uses the phone line (fax, telephone, security alarm) run through filters. These are very important, if your line isn't split correctly then your ADSL will disconnect whenever the phone rings because there isn't enough line left for it.
Now for the same problem on DIAL-UP, you simply have to find out what number to dial to disable call waiting. For me it's *52, so if I put that in front of the telephone number in my DIALUP it will disable call waiting while you are connected to the internet.

Now if your WIRELESS connection drops, when the phone rings it's usually because of this:

You have a cordless phone in your house that is using the same channel as your wireless router. Now routers are generally quite different so there's no one way to fix this. Just look up your make and model of modem on google and find out how to change the channel on your modem. It's pretty straight forward and not very time consuming to fix.
Also one thing to note is that you shouldn't automatically jump to the highest channel that you can because your wireless card may not be able to go that high.

If none of these work for you then let me know your specific problem and I will try to help as best I can.
Hi, I am having a similar problem to the others mentioned in this forum. I have a wireless router with a laptop connected using Windows XP Home edition that looses its connection everytime the phone rings. We have a cable internet connection. It only seems to happen on this particular computer as we have others we use as well without this problem. Would it be a setting within the computer itself? Thanks,
Change the router channel and it works fine