DELL dvd drive not detected

Closed
Martin Bridges Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 4, 2009 - Nov 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM
 Martin Bridges - Feb 25, 2010 at 06:29 PM
Hello,
I bought a new HP printer and Norton antivirus suite. I installed the Anti virus software after uninstalling my old software (CA). Then I connected my printer. The printer was not detected by the instal wizard and my "D" drive (DVD R/W) had vanished. I tried to change BIOS settings but nothing works. I tried connecting an IOMEGA external CD drive but this is not detected either. I tried instaling drivers from the internet and from DELL driver detective site. But still nothing works. What's next? Can anyone help?
Related:

2 responses

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Nov 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM
hi there,

i will suggest you to make a system restore

to the date it was detecting the drive and before installing the new software

by following these steps:

Press Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>

System Restore Open it and then select a date when it was fine and workng correctly

This will solve the problem Thanks
Martin Bridges Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 4, 2009
Nov 4, 2009 at 05:43 PM
Good suggestion, I tried that. My computer must have a virus also, because system restore will not go to the final step, which is to initialize the restore point. I encountered a similar problem with downloading windows diagnostic tools from Microsoft. I will try disconnecting my new printer and try again to get the drive to read.
I was wondering did you resolve this problem?
I have Dell demension 4600 with basicly the same problem.
I'm a 50yr old who is self taught on computer repair. I am mechanicly inclined so I probably know enough to be dangerous. Anyway I have Dell Demension 4600 desktop I bought about 7yrs ago. I've done upgrades and repairs in the past on it myself such as installing more memory, larger power supply needed to handle the ATI All in Wonder 9800 video tuner card I also installed.
The problem I'm having is that my cd/dvd rom and my printer both are not being recognized by the computer, this all happened on the same day. I've done the usual things like checking cords and plugs. I've reloaded software, system restore, drivers and I even bought a new cd/dvd rom. I also did some little guy holding a tool diagnostic on Microsofts sight. There is no sign of either in the device manager. I changed the motherboard once before about 1 1/2 yrs. ago but in my old age I don't remember why but it did work. Is it posible that the motherboard is bad again. I would really appreciate your help. Last time the motherboard was a $100.00 on ebay, I see them now for about half that. Thanks in advance, Ron
I uninstalled the HP printer software and Re-installed the Norton anti virus suite. Norton cleaned up my hard drive, and my disc drives were now recognized by windows. Then I re-installed the printer from the set-up disc and updates from the internet. I was doing too much at once, and some steps were skipped or corrupted. Everything runs fine now, and Norton is definitely superior to CA as far as virus detection and erradication. I also use "Cleanup" every day to keep my temp files clear.
Martin Bridges
Feb 25, 2010 at 06:29 PM
Iggy is Martin by the way.