Reconfig router with cble modem (Mac 10.4.11)

Solved/Closed
CC - Nov 6, 2009 at 01:28 PM
 CC - Nov 6, 2009 at 02:57 PM
Hello,

I've replaced my cable modem (Motorola SB5101-same model as old) but the router (DLink 604) does recognize it. Modem is fine and I can connect to Internet when modem is connected directly to Mac. I cannot connect to Internet when modem is connected to router and router is connected to Mac. I've been told that I need to reconfig the modem->router connection but I can't figure out how to so this. I cannot connect to 'http://192.168.0.1'.
I've tried power cycling many times and this doesn't resolve the issue.

I would very much appreciate any assistance that anyone can offer.

Thanks,
C.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Nov 6, 2009 at 02:00 PM
I just went through this with a new router. If I remember correctly:

1. turn off cable modem and Computer
2. unplug cable modem and router
3. wait 30 minutes
4. plug in router
5. plug in modem
6 turn on modem (if modem has an on-off switch)
7. turn on computer

I you still have problems - you can reset the router:
use a ball-point pen to press in the reset switch - it's a in a small hole on the back of the router.
You will need to enter network name and security key if it's a wireless router. You might need to go to the router's web site for more info and default id/password.

Good Luck
You're a genius!!!! The 30 minute waiting period seems to have done the trick!! Thank you SO much!! YHave a GREAT day!

C.
Thanks very much for your quick reply. I just reread my posting and message should say that the router DOESN'T recognize the modem. I have tried the rebooting that you suggest although I have not waited 30 minutes. I will try that next. I have also tried resetting the router - no luck.

Also, this is not a wireless router.

I was just investigating whether I should download latest firmware although I'm reluctant to do this as it may open a whole new can of worms. The router was working fine the morning with the old modem - it just doesn't work now with the new modem.

Thanks again,
C.