Can't enable system restore

Solved/Closed
yavben Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday August 12, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 19, 2008 - Aug 17, 2008 at 12:22 AM
 Selena - Aug 31, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Hello

after recovering my comp from spyware infestation

trying to enable system restore..getting following error

"system restore encountered an error trying to enable/dissable one or more drives please restart your machine and try again"

followed the instructions in microsoft's website, no change

did anyone encountered this, pls let me know how to fix this
Related:

29 responses

harnold31 Posts 13 Registration date Thursday May 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 11, 2008 32
Aug 17, 2008 at 08:43 AM
hello,

have you recently disconnect any hardware or connected any hardware from your pc? if this is the case then it might be this which is causing this problem. try to see for the hardware and then if its not good try to write here on the forum
Hi There I don't know if you have overcome your problem with System Restore if not follow these instructions they worked for me.
Go to http://ww11.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download the script file on line 278 make sure you click on the "Restore/Enable system restore" and not the "Undo" file which is on the same line.
Save it to a folder on your desktop and allow it to run, when its finished running try to re-enable system restore.
As I said in a previous listing I had two computers with this fault and both have now System Restore enabled.
Hope this helps.
Kindest Regards Tony B.
yavben Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday August 12, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 19, 2008 > brakers
Aug 19, 2008 at 08:31 PM
tx have resolved the problem
VBC > brakers
Aug 24, 2008 at 09:02 AM
I have the same problem like yavben and your system restore fix worked great. thanks so much
Sue > brakers
Sep 6, 2008 at 08:05 PM
Hi I came across your instructions as well and after having a nasty virus and hopefully getting it, I tried to put system back into system restore. Tried your suggestion and have the program saved to the dektop. Only problem is that a message is saying I can't do it in safe mode. Now I can't get out of safe mode to system restore. I have SUPER anti-virs and at one point it asked me if I wanted to use safe mode and I clicked yes, now I'm stuck. Any suggestions. I tried everything. HELP!
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > Sue
Sep 7, 2008 at 09:13 AM
Hi Sue
What happens if you try to boot into windows normally.??
Got up to the point where it tels me to hit the next button so it can restore my computer to an eairlier date. Clicked on the next Button. Nothing happens. Deleted that virus everyone is taking about. Dont know how I go it.

Also, I believe my internet is infected. I have Windows XP HP Laptop. My home page works fine except for the message that Appears in red at the top. Warning! Your computer could be infected with a virus. o a FULL System scan NOW. Something like that. All my text on my homepage is red as well. I changed homepages. Same problem. Cant get ride of it.

Also, My Active Desktop works...sort of. Can put up a new pic for my Backroud. The area is Greyed out. I can "RightClick" on a pic and cit that way. Only works after my PC is restarted.

help with any of these is much appretiated. PLZ
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Jan 19, 2009 at 04:23 AM
Hi There sounds like a complete cleanup would be in order.

The problem is when hit by a virus unless you know what that virus is and what it does to your computer you can't be sure that you have repaired it or completely removed it.

I think that in your case I would do a complete restore back to when you bought it.

Yes I know it's a pain in the A** but it will be worth it.
Hey. My problem is considerably bad. My computer is infected, and the only way I can work with it is to go in Safe Mode. Now, I wanna know how to change the Group Policy settings, because I changed the System Restore settings to " Not Configured " but when I try it in regular mode ( Regular mode is infected ) it says " Application cannot be executed fil rstrui.exe is infected ". So I went back to Safe Mode, but when I started it up it said " System Restore has been turned off by group policy " or something like that. Can anyone help?
Will the registry tweak referenced in this string also work for Vista?
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Jan 19, 2009 at 04:29 AM
Hi There
I'm not sure if this works in Vista as I think Vista is built very differently to XP, but having said that I don't think it would do much harm,

but at the end of the day it's your call if you are going to try it back up all your documents first and anything else you might like to keep i.e. Your address book, emails etc then if anything goes wrong you only have to reinstall or revert back to when you got the PC to the original settings.

Regards Tony B.
I followed the link Juergen put out there and it saved my PC!!!!!

Thank you Juergen
hey everyone. same problem as whats described above. Except I cant connect to the internet either so I have no way of dling the fix. any suggestions?

derek
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > derek
Mar 3, 2009 at 01:19 AM
Hi Derek
You must be on the internet to access this forum.
If you are reading this you are on the internet so go to the fix listed above and download it save it to disc and install it on your computer. If for some reason you cant download on this computer you have typed this on I'm sure you can find a friend who will download it for you!.
Kindest Regards Tony B.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
yavben Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday August 12, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 19, 2008
Aug 17, 2008 at 11:45 AM
did not connect or dissconnct any hardware
Aug 18, 2008 at 05:46 PM
Hi There I have the same problem on two computers. I think this might be a virus that is new on the internet as the threads for this error is very low.
Someone told me to install SuperAntispyware which is free and in prefferences has a choice to repair System Restore, I tried it but it did not work.
Hope someone finds a repair soon.
Kindest Regards Tony B.
My thought is, NEVER INSTALL SPYWARE. Sometimes people just put that up there purposely so your computer can get infected even worse. I say don't do any type of spyware unless you COMPLETELY know it's legit or legal.
Hello,

I am desperate...can anyone help...Please!

I had exactly the same symptoms as detailed by yavben in message of Aug 17. Then, I followed the recommendations in brakers message of Aug 19. However, when run, the resulting downloaded file asked...Do you want to write this line to the registry?...but it didn't display the line. I agreed to writing the new line, then the file added the unknown line to the registry and my problem immediately worsened.

I had previously been able to access System Restore by right clicking on My Computer, then clicking on Properties, then on the System Restore tab presented as part of System Properties. Now I found that the System Restore tab had been completely removed from the System Properties menu and that the only way I could access it was from the start menu, but instead of being allowed to enable System Restore from there I now get the following message...System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, then run System Restore again...When I did this I was once again presented with the last message but there was no other change or improvement.

Configuration: Windows XP Professional, SP3,
Internet Explorer 7.0
Hi There I am sorry the fix I put on this site did not help you and seemed to make things worse. I don't know if I can help you but I will try. This might be a lengthy process and in the end it might mean a full system restore, however if you want me to try and help please E-mail me and we will start the lengthy process of trying to sort out youir perticular problem.
Kindest Regards Tony B.
please help > brakers
Feb 27, 2009 at 05:00 PM
Hello, I have been reading the website, and I cant download the system restore application can you pleASE send it to me.
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > please help
Feb 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Hi There I will need your E mail address to send you the file.
Regards Tony B.
Tony B how do I get in touch with you I ahve the same problem with my Windows XP. Cannot make System Restore function, keep get message restart your computer. My drivers all seem to have gone missing.
No internet ( was using broadband O2)
no printer drivers, before I ahd 3 printers installed
no CD recognised. so cana'at re-isntall o2.
no registry files, so can't copy and paste files onto memory sticks.
Can only backup by opening the file and then re-saving on memory stick.
Would like to send system back to a week ago.
Hello,

I am desperate...can anyone help...Please!

I had exactly the same symptoms as detailed by yavben in message of Aug 17. Then, I followed the recommendations in brakers message of Aug 19. However, when run, the resulting downloaded file asked...Do you want to write this line to the registry...but it didn't display the line. I agreed to writing the new line, then the file added the unknown line to the registry and my problem immediately worsened.

I had previously been able to access System Restore by right clicking on My Computer, then clicking on Properties, then on the System Restore tab presented as part of System Properties, but I now found that the System Restore tab had been completely removed from the System Properties menu and that the only way I could access it was from the start menu, but instead of being allowed to enable System Restore from there I now get the following message...System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, then run System Restore again...When I did this I was once again presented with the last message but there was no other change or improvement.
Configuration: Windows XP Professional, SP3,
Internet Explorer 7.0
Hello,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I took great encouragement from the fact that your suggestion cured the problem with your own two computers and with the two computers owned by Yavben and VVC, but it was a disappointment that it didn't work for me. It seems that my problem must be caused by something different...just my bad luck! Details for my computer and system are as follows:-
Computer: ASUS A7NBX DeLuxe, 2.21 GHz AMD Athlon 3200+, 3.00 GB of RAM
System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3 and Office 2007, AVG 8 Anti-Virus Free

I look forward to hearing any suggestions you may have and I fervently hope that between us we will be able to get System Restore up and running soon.

Thank you very much
Eoghan
Hi There
Please don't think I am treating you as stupid, I will be asking questions and they might come across as the fact I am treating you as thick this is not the case so please be patient with me as I am not a computer expert by any means.

First thing first when did this first occur??? I noticed you have SP3 and AMD system.

I know two other mates who had problems with their computer when they installed SP3 although I must admit their problem was more sever than yours.

This is one of many links about SP3 and AMD systems problems https://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-SP3,5334.html

A friend of mine said to ask you if you had clicked on the correct file in the download area as there are two files in the same rectangle box very close to one another, he said applying the UNDO file could have this effect 'he is more expert than me as far as the registry is concerned'.

Just to make sure check the file name of the file you downloaded it should be 'sysrestoreenable.reg'.

If the above is ok then do a 'System File Check'

You will probably need your Windows XP pro disc with SP3 slipstreamed onto it for this.

Just in case you don't know how to do a System File Check follow these instructions.
Put your XP pro disc in the drive
Click Start then Run in the Run Dialogue box type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes then click OK and wait for it to finish then restart your pc

I won't list too much here as it's a step by step process of elimination.

Also please could you list any other steps you have taken before you tried to apply the System Restore fix ie any malware or antivirus or cleaning programs or registry repair programs you have run.
Kindest Regards Tony B.
Eoghan > brakers
Sep 14, 2008 at 08:54 PM
Hello - I'm back!

Many thanks for your kind attention and willingness to help. Rest assured that I wasn't in any way offended. It's just that I have been away from home since I sent my last message and I was unable to access my computer until now. However, I am happy to report that my problem has been solved and my PC is working perfectly again.

When I knew I was going to be away I decided to take the easy way out, so I left the computer in for service with a professional computer expert. Unfortunately I didn't afterwards get to speak with the man that did the work, so I still don't know what actually caused the trouble.

You asked when did it first occur and I think you were correct in suspecting that it was because of something that I did. Well, it happened directly after I had installed SP3 and upgraded to Office 2007. I mentioned this to the serviceman and I also told him that I was aware of reported conflicts between ADM processors and SP3 but he was of opinion that there had been no such problems reported since the release of the final version of SP3 in June. He was inclined to think that it might be something to do with the way I installed Office and SP3. I don't know if he was correct, but at least the trouble is now fixed and I am happy again.

It was great to find someone like you prepared to do what you could to assist someone in trouble. I knew that if I sought professional help I would have to be prepared to leave the PC with them for at least a few days, so I was lucky that I was able to do so during a period when I had to be away from home and from the PC.

Many, many thanks.

Eoghan
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > Eoghan
Sep 15, 2008 at 02:04 AM
Hi There I'm pleased your computer is up and running, thanks for letting me know.
Kindest Regards Tony B.
Sep 30, 2008 at 01:42 AM
Hi There
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I have search for a solution to your problem but it seems to only refer to Windows XP. Sorry I could not help.
Best Wishes and good luck
Tony B.
Hi there,

If I click on the link it doesn't give me anything to download but instead just shows a lot of text.

Please help.

Regards,

William
Hello

You need to use only Internet Explorer, not other browsers like Firefox.
Hi

It worked for me (an XP user) too. I disabled System Restore to do an antivirus scan, later tried to re-enable it but couldn't, and the fix worked. Many thanks!
Hi

I'm having a problem getting system restore to work but also internet explorer. Is there anyway someone could send the file to me by email? My email address is rick_hollows@hotmail.com
Hello!
Looks like you are helping a ton of people! I have similar yet different problems with my computer. I think it all started after I downloaded some movie viewer from a movie site I visited. No idea which site I visited or what virus I may or may not have. I tried all of things suggested here, except reboting from disk,I bought my computer used and it didn't come with one (I'm aware that this may be my only solution, but I can't afford to buy windows xp!). I was able to download the malware software, yet despite renaming it, I am not able to get it to open or run. I used the registry thing, I was able to download it and it says it worked but I still cannot use system restore. I think my system restore works..........kind of..........because I get to the very last screen where it says to restore blah blah click whatever. I click and NOTHING happens, OR I click and I get this message "system restore is not able to protect your computer. please restart your computer, and then run system restore again. Obviously I have tried that..... to no avail. I'm at my wits end! PLEASE help me!!! Thanks a million!
Mar 18, 2009 at 06:59 AM
Hi There was this a second hand computer if not what model and serial No. is on it.
Regards Tony B.
Zhaligkeer Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 23, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2009
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM
I am having a similar problem, however, the only symptoms other than not being able to click the next button during system restore is that I am getting redirected from almost every link in Google to advertisements, everything from car insurance to Ebay, though fortunately nothing crude yet. I have tried the .reg file, and when I click it it says "can not import, specified file is not a registry script. you can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor. can anyone help? and what/where is the registry editor?
ahhh. im having the same problem. but when I try the tweak. instead of giving me a reg file it gave me a txt file. what should I change to make it a reg file?
Apr 9, 2009 at 06:16 AM
Hi There if you havn't sorted this out go into windows explorer and click on the tools menu then on the folder options and then on the view tab untick the check box that says "Hide extensions for known file types"
go to the file in question and rname the extension from "txt" to "reg" once done double click on the file and run it.
Hope this help
Regards Tony B
The Dream is always better than the Reality
<a href="http://www.listbuilder4me.com/html/codes">Free Internet Marketing Videos!</a>
hi im new to this. A friend had virus could not do defrag set restor-point and otherthings I have ran scans and have fixed every thing but resore-point. I have downloaded sysrestoreenable-reg to hard drive to my computer that works ok but wonted to test script but when I dubble klick on it I get this message
(this file dose not have a progran associated with this action. Create an association in the folder option control panel) so how do you do this. I know this may work on my friends computer but at least if she gets this message I now what to do ,thank you for taken the time to read this
Mar 31, 2009 at 03:09 AM
Hi There you say you followed the instructions on the Microsoft site have you tried the script file that is talked abrout in the messages below.
Regards Tony B.
parrot1958 Posts 3 Registration date Monday March 30, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2009
Apr 2, 2009 at 08:57 AM
hi yes I downloaded sysrestoreenable.reg from Kellsie-corner and when I doubled click on it, this is the message I got (THIS FILE DOSE NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS ACTION CREATE AN ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTION CONTROL PANEL) so how do I install sysrestoreenable.reg. hope someone can help
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > parrot1958 Posts 3 Registration date Monday March 30, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2009
Apr 3, 2009 at 02:55 AM
Hi There What OS are you using and is it fully updated. Does the Icon for the file you downloaded look like a light blue stack of bricks with the top right hand corner breaking up.

If not it's because the file you are trying to run is not associated with a program. You need to associate it with the Regedit.exe program and then it should run by double clicking it.

Regards Tony B.
bensol > brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009
Apr 10, 2009 at 04:02 AM
I have the exact problem with the same error message.How do I associate the file to regedit .exe.please help.
I really would appreciate if you could walk me through this step by step so that Ican enable the system restore.
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > bensol
Apr 10, 2009 at 05:59 AM
Hi There

Once you have downloaded the file from the link below you will need to be able to see the file extension which is dissabled by default.

To do this go into Explorer and from the file menu choose tools then folder options and select the view tab.

Uncheck the box that says "Hide the extensions of known file types".

Go back to the downloaded file and make sure the extension is "reg" not "txt" or any other one if not change it.

Once changed double click on the file and it should ask you if you want to run the file and edit the registry click yes or run or whatever it says.

If it says there is no file association then go to "Start" then "Run" and enter "regedit" without the quotes and press enter.

Once regedit has opened click the file menu and select import find the file sysrestoreable.reg and double click on it and it should install.

Job done

http://ww11.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Kindest Regards Tony B.

<a href="http://www.listbuilder4me.com/html/codes">Free Internet Marketing Videos!</a>
thanks Tony B
it worked for me :)

regards;
a Lady from KSA
parrot1958 Posts 3 Registration date Monday March 30, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2009
Apr 3, 2009 at 07:19 PM
Hi sorry I forgot OS it is XP-HOME OME. I have service-pack 3 and all up to date. As for the sysrestoreenable.reg
it is light blue as you mentioned. So if I'm going to look for associated program in regedit.exe there do I go and what do I look for. If you can explain this it will be most great full. jeff
Apr 4, 2009 at 05:32 AM
Hi There go to start and then run in the run box type regedit and then enter and see if the regedit program starts. If it does double clicking on the Reg file you downloaded should run the script and if your problem is the same as quite a few people on tbis site then hopefully it should be fixed.

Be aware that due to my PC being loaded down with all sorts of software I have installed over the years I intend to do a full reinstall so I might be offline for a while so I will not be able to answer you straight away.

Good Luck
Tony B

pred > brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009
Dec 10, 2009 at 07:51 AM
Hi there. Don't know if this is the right place to write about my problem as I see the last replay was a few months ago but ...
Everything started with a svchost.exe memmory leak. After some reading on the internet I downloaded a window utility which was to show me which servise is using the svchost.exe so I can disable it, but doing it didn't change anything ( it kept reapearing). The stupid thing I made was that after this didn't work I decided to "kill" the svchost.exe (as the windows utility suggested) and the everything went wrong - I couldn't do anything so restarted the pc ... after it the whole OS was in a complete disaster (couldn't do a thing). Then I entered Safe mode with the idea to get back the pc to the point before starting the whole thing but I couldn't enter System Restore. I restarted the pc again ... this time it loaded and at least I could see my desktop but since then i'm in some sort of semi safe mode - I cant do anything to files (copy,del,move) and when trying to start System Restore a massage shows saying some of sort "system restore is not save for your system. reboot and try again". I tried everything to get of this "safe mode" and to run System Restore (even your registry file didn't help). Please, if you are reading this, give me a hand.
okay I was freaked out thought I had a really bad virus I couldnt acess internet couldnt use system restore or load any programs, pluged in my ipod restarted computer and everything is fine again:S
Apr 6, 2009 at 07:13 PM
First of all I would like to thank everyone for there help specially Tony. I finely installed sysrestoreable.reg on windows XP Home. By going to start then typed regedit in run, like Tony said. But when I doubled clicked on sysrestoreable.reg I got the same massage as before. So in regedit I went in to file and click on import then found sysrestoreable.reg and doubled clicked on it and it installed. So thanks everyone JEFF
Hi every one I am Selena and I am from USA had I fight with my husband about three years ago and since then he has refuse to talk to me or even care about our family affair he abandoned us and went after another woman leaving me with three kids two girls and a boy,so last weeks a friend of my introduced me to a spell caster called Dr,Ancient who helped me brought my husband back many think he is a scam but I promise you that he is nothing compare to that not even close so if you have some problems in having or getting your ex back you can contact the great and wonderful spell caster Dr,Ancient in this address and he be willing to help you via; ***@***