Excel 2007 resetting cells to Date format

Solved/Closed
ktech25 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday November 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 12, 2009 - Nov 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM
 Archit Badwe - Jan 30, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Hello,
I have an Excel 2007 spreadsheet that is resetting all the data cells to Date format. Have anyone seen this before? I don't think I have a virus because I have ran several virus scans on my computer, but nothing and the spreadsheets changes the cells itself back to Date format.

Please Help?
Related:

5 responses

I have same problem. Seems to occur randomly and chnages format accross all sheets. Anyone have a solution as yet for this
Still looking for a solution. This just happened to me.
Go to custom formats and delete the custom date formats starting with a [$C-09] or something similar. This should reset all the numbers that have changed to date formats inadvertently.
I have the same problem: Out of nowhere, all of the cells in all of my sheets in this book changed to Date Format [14-Mar-01], which is not a custom date format but is a date format I use a lot, scattered through each of my sheets.

The solution above ("delete the custom date formats starting with a [$C-09] or something similar") looked to have worked for me, in that all of the numbers which were supposed to be displaying as numbers reverted back to General format. Unfortunately, all of cells that I do want to display in Date Format [14-Mar-01], are now General format and hence displaying as numbers in the 40000 range.

I guess it is safer to have everything back as General format, and I will manually have to go and return the cells I need to the date format.
Anon comment from the May 3, 2010 worked for me
Go to custom formats and delete the custom date formats starting with a [$C-09] or something similar. This should reset all the numbers that have changed to date formats inadvertently
Thanks , it is working
FYI - To add support to the original poster - I've had the same problem. I'm an Excel expert and pretty much know all/most of the features and formats. However, there's a large spreadsheet that I open in compatibility mode where Excel has set the default format for all cells to be a date format. So if I go to an empty cell and type in "=2+3", Excel will show whatever the date equivalent is to "5" as the result in the cell. I don't think I pressed a random key combination, but it's pretty annoying/frustrating.
pro-genius Posts 185 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2010 68
Nov 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM
Nope never saw this kind of problem, did you try to reinstall office ?
I'm having exactly the same problem. My workbook has 9 worksheets and they're all being converted to Date Format. Still looking for a solution.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM