Ask a question Report

Hooking up Laptop to HD Tv with HDMI Cable? [Solved/Closed]

S.Agnew 4Posts Friday November 20, 2009Registration date November 22, 2009 Last seen - Latest answer on Mar 4, 2013 01:56AM
I am trying to hook up my HP laptop to my Sony Bravia Tv. I have an HDMI output for the laptop and an HDMI cable. I have tried simply plugging the cable into the TV and the laptop but when I do that the tv does not show the picture from the laptop a black screen comes up that says "Unsupported signal. Please check device output." Can I hook this up with just an HDMI cable or am I doing something wrong?
Read more 
Answer
+242
moins plus
Did you try holding down the function (Fn) key and tapping the blue monitor key (it's different on all laptops, but usually one of the "F" keys) to send a digital signal to the TV?

kay kay- Aug 15, 2010 10:24PM
You are amazing. It works.
Kayla- Feb 26, 2013 06:25PM
I love you, it worked!!
lil_c88- Mar 4, 2013 01:56AM
It worked for me also I just usedt (fn) key and it was the f8 key on my compwith the words(crt/lcd)...thanks!
Answer
+46
moins plus
We have a sony Bravia and were tearing our hair out with the same problem. We were getting the audio but the video kept reporting "unsupported signal." In our case it turned out to be the Hz/ Resolution on the computer was set too high. We lowered the resolution on the computer and it started working perfectly. Hope that helps!

Ry- Aug 19, 2010 08:30PM
Yes!!! This worked great! I was getting so mad at mine for about 2 hours..When I would hook up the HDMI cord the picture went out on the laptop. And I got the unsupported signal..I thought the device wasn't added...Thank you!
Answer
+35
moins plus
hi
I have an HP laptop and a panasonic tv. First time I used the HDMI cable, it was instant sucess. Then the gremlins set in ( prob me trying to figure out out what the NVIDIA control panel could do ) there was no laptop display on tv.

My answer was to open the NVIDIA control panel (Graphics ) from right click on desk top.
go to "set up multiple displays"
then if you are lucky the name of your TV should be in a box waiting to be selected.
select and follow instructions:
RESULT! perfect sound and vision from laptop on the tv screen.

Answer
+22
moins plus
right click on desktop click on garphics options then click output to only can see option when lead is pluged in hope it helps

Answer
+21
moins plus
you need to go into setting on your tv and click the hdmi to on.....it will work then! had to do the same when i fixed my sons ps3 hd lead to his tv..

Answer
+20
moins plus
What type (model) of HP laptop do you have?

S.Agnew 4Posts Friday November 20, 2009Registration date November 22, 2009 Last seen - Nov 22, 2009 11:28AM
I have an HP G60-530CA. It is just a standard HP laptop I bought about 3 weeks ago.
leroy- Jan 16, 2010 07:45PM
i hooked up hdmi from hp pavilion to vizio hd tv port have perfect picture but no sound?
Answer
+11
moins plus
This happened to me - I had a hdmi cable hook up on both ends and it does not work. I bought a new cable HDMI to DVI. The DVI is in the back of the pc video card.

Answer
+10
moins plus
plugin the tv to your laptop with the hdmi cable then try right click then g down to personalizaton then too display settings, after that click on the 2 insidethe box and tick the box witch says "extend the desktop on t this monitar" click apply and it should be done.

ps i do ot have a hp laptop so this may not work

Answer
+4
moins plus
the hz resolution trick works...

If you are using windows 7, you may check this article on connecting laptop to tv.

You can use a vga to tv converter only if both the TV and pc support VGA. Otherwise you may try a different computer to tv cable.

Answer
+4
moins plus
if you have the amd version download the Nvidia graphics card driver for your laptop off of Google

Answer
+4
moins plus
I have just come clicked on this link and in the meantime figured out myself how to work do it lol.

I have a samsung TV which is HD and I've been using a VGA cable which only supports 720p, now with my TV with HD it is 1020p, and when using the VGA cable I was gettin a shadow on screen and it was doin my head in.

Anyways whenever I had the VGA plugged in, on my TV I usually had to change the source to PC but with the HDMI I've had to select the 'HDMI input' from the source list.

Worked for me.

Hope it helps anyone else :)

Ambucias 21587Posts mardi 2 février 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 4, 2015 Last seen - Aug 25, 2010 05:22PM
Hello Chelsey

Thank you ever so much for your tip. You are swell person.
This document entitled « Hooking up Laptop to HD Tv with HDMI Cable? » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.