Linux ISO discs and Uninstalled Windows Drive

Closed
barn48 - Nov 27, 2009 at 04:32 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire Desktop PC whose single Hiatachi 160GB hard drive (Registry?) is corrupted that I cannot connect to the intemet with, period! In addition, I have the current version of Wipe Drive 5.0, which both erases the hard drive completely clean to DOD or similar commercial standards and then verifies that ALL sectors are clean.

Well, I went ahead and did a clean install of Windows XP Pro sp2 with a borrowed CD disc for a Dell machine. It went well EXCEPT for one major problem/headache. When I go into Device Manager and look at the four or five controller devices under "Other Devices," all of the devices under the heading I just gave have the yellow question mark! Just those five. So, I am stuck and don't know what to do. Booting Linux from or as a "live CD" doesn't work, really, because I still have the drivers that need to be updated and installed on my hard drive running under Windows.

My last gasp was to try to download an ISO image of a CD/DVD freeware Linux program, burn the ISO copy to a DVD + ROM and then burn the updated drivers or whatever is needed on to the hard drive. Not even sure if this is right or how to know which ISO file to choose if downloaded software has more than one ISO files among all the dozens of others I don't even know what they are.

Can somebody PLEASE help me? Am I on the right track, even? I learn best if somebody breaks down a task -especially one I consider complex or difficult - into small, understandable "chunks." Oh, and by the way, yes I have RTFM and FAQ/Troubleshooting pages until my eyes cross. All I do in wind up even more confused. Is there no way to re-establish my internet connection through my installed copy of Windows XP or not? My ISP doesn't have any idea what's wrong or what to do. Just great. Hope there is some help our there and will greatly appreciate any I can get.

Barn48
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Problem number one - you can't use a Dell Windows CD on your Acer.
Problem number two - Linux drivers are useless on a Windows PC.
You MIGHT be able to download Windows drivers from ACER on another computer and copy them to a flash drive. Then install them on the Acer. This might work if the Dell CD didn't mess too badly with Windows. Then again you might not be able to register the copy of Windows with Microsoft after all that work.

Your best bet is to call Acer support and purchase the recovery CD for your laptop.

Good Luck