Ask a question Report

Date change with column paste [Solved/Closed]

shhhhane - Latest answer on May 8, 2013 09:34AM
Whenever I try to paste the dates and times from one spreadsheet to another, the dates changes from 2008 to 2004. Why won't the dates just hold when I copy and paste from one doc to another. I have excel 2004 for Mac.
Read more 

moins plus
Seems that Excel for Mac uses a 1904 date system to calculate dates. Don't ask me why this is different, but you can change this for each file in the Preferences/Calculation pane. Simply uncheck the "1904 date system" setting.

Helpedme- Sep 26, 2008 09:58AM
I had the same issue, and this fixed it. Any idea how to make this a global change, since it seems that I can only change the active workbook preference and I will have this same issue on a continual basis.
juan-ito- Jun 5, 2010 06:54AM
do you know how to do it in new macs? cant find the calculation pane under preferences. thanks!
Mindspin- Jul 26, 2010 05:06PM
Thank You!!!
kimmy- Sep 3, 2010 12:01AM
that was an easy fix! thanks! :)
tje- Sep 9, 2010 06:40PM
That just saved me a few hours of correcting data. Thank you so much!
moins plus
Thanks so much, this WORKS!

moins plus
For people that have the mac file only and don't have either a Mac or Excel for Mac.
I don't have one on hand so I had to save the file as CSV and then reopen it.
Make sure you chose the right date format - if you have hours/minutes/seconds you might lose them.

pleb- May 8, 2013 09:34AM
moins plus
have you checked if your system time is properly set ?

it may be due to this and set it to the real date

This document entitled « Date change with column paste » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.