Ask a question Report

Date change with column paste [Solved/Closed]

shhhhane - Latest answer on May 8, 2013 09:34AM
Hello,
Whenever I try to paste the dates and times from one spreadsheet to another, the dates changes from 2008 to 2004. Why won't the dates just hold when I copy and paste from one doc to another. I have excel 2004 for Mac.
Thanks,
-Shane
Read more 
Answer
+93
moins plus
Seems that Excel for Mac uses a 1904 date system to calculate dates. Don't ask me why this is different, but you can change this for each file in the Preferences/Calculation pane. Simply uncheck the "1904 date system" setting.

Helpedme- Sep 26, 2008 09:58AM
I had the same issue, and this fixed it. Any idea how to make this a global change, since it seems that I can only change the active workbook preference and I will have this same issue on a continual basis.
juan-ito- Jun 5, 2010 06:54AM
Hi,
do you know how to do it in new macs? cant find the calculation pane under preferences. thanks!
Mindspin- Jul 26, 2010 05:06PM
Thank You!!!
kimmy- Sep 3, 2010 12:01AM
that was an easy fix! thanks! :)
tje- Sep 9, 2010 06:40PM
That just saved me a few hours of correcting data. Thank you so much!
Answer
+8
moins plus
Thanks so much, this WORKS!

Answer
moins plus
For people that have the mac file only and don't have either a Mac or Excel for Mac.
I don't have one on hand so I had to save the file as CSV and then reopen it.
Make sure you chose the right date format - if you have hours/minutes/seconds you might lose them.

pleb- May 8, 2013 09:34AM
Thankyou!
Answer
moins plus
have you checked if your system time is properly set ?

it may be due to this and set it to the real date

This document entitled « Date change with column paste » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.