Ask a question Report

Computer Beeps on startup [Solved/Closed]

balance17 3Posts Saturday August 30, 2008Registration date August 31, 2008 Last seen - Latest answer on Jan 28, 2013 12:55PM
I went on vacation for a week and my computer was running fine. Then when I got home and started it up my computer there were long spread out beeps 2 seconds about and they don't stop it just keeps going. My mouse,keyboard, and monitor don't come on. I have an 8800 gt and a 650i ultra motherboard. If any other specs are needed il post. The weird part is I got it to work before I dusted it out, but then it stopped working. I tried replacing the ran as I have seen in other posts the beep still continues
Read more 
Answer
+134
moins plus
hey if you now how open your computer just open it, and take out the ram memories and put again in their places. thats all. wiht a little of strength. bye, say thanks to my e-mail

daligg- Apr 26, 2011 12:05PM
That took care of the problem. Thanks for the post
grateful- May 23, 2011 08:05AM
Solved!
patientje- Nov 21, 2012 04:12AM
thanks
Spyder- Dec 28, 2012 11:19AM
Thanks to your email, it works!!!

Spyder
Roger That- Jan 28, 2013 12:55PM
Your the best thanks. Had never taken apart a laptop in my life!
Answer
+81
moins plus
computer wont start at all when i push the start button it just give 2 beep and nothi9ng comes up............soo

Answer
+39
moins plus
i had an issue with my computer too, it would beep 5 times and nothing would come on the screen.
i tried moving the ram, replacing it, and tried replacing the cpu. nothing worked

then i unpluggen the front usb, and the front "hub" connections off the mobo
one of them grounded the computer, so i plugged in the power switch and away i went
computer works fine now. no issues

Answer
+24
moins plus
My Compaq has the constant beeps & the monitor stays black. I took it to Staples & the tech did a free tune up (special this week). They claim nothing needs replaced, everything is fine. Took it home, hooked it up-same problem. Unplugged everything in back, put them back in, worked fine. Turn it on this morning & now I have the beeps again! TIA for any help.

Answer
+14
moins plus
Hey guys, thought I would chime in. I had this same exact problem on my e510 (beeped 1 then 3 then 2 with no monitor for my system) which at first I thought was my video card but after installing and reinstalling I figured it was my RAM. I pulled them out and cleaned them (because they were filthy) and reinstalled and it booted perfectly. Thanks for the advice and I really hope this helps someone else.

Redhot- Jan 4, 2013 05:00PM
I have the same problem with the same beep pattern on my Dell. I have unplugged, taken out and blew out all dust in and outside the unit. Plugged everything back in reseated ram sticks and turned it on. Still get the 6 beeps 1 then 3 then 2. Monitor and keyboard don't come on. Any more suggestions???!????
Answer
+13
moins plus
That sound could be ram. Your ram didn't correct position..try to fix it...open up and put in again...

Answer
+11
moins plus
my computer don't start up , all i hear is beeps, finally got it to start
this morning, and i have no idea how to fix the problem ,. i am
not computer literate and what does a ram look like ?

PyTHoN- Jul 30, 2009 12:29PM
The ram are sticks of memory on the mother board. Best thing to do if you care to start troubleshooting your hardward would be to find a site that has descriptive pictures of a motherboard and all the chips and cards, and being sure of what is what before you start poking around. Once you know what everything is though and have some confidence in it, as long as you dont start trying to solder random things, it is fairly simple to install RAM or vid/sound cards.
Answer
+6
moins plus
Thanks folks changing the ram TOTALLY works, might i suggest you remove ALL rams sticks and replace one by one and restart comp till you can find the baddie in the bunch. If you only have one stick, try swopping with another comp.

Patience will prevail

Happy Hunting

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hello,
Look at this tip, maybe you will find the beeps meaning : http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet 344 how to recognize beep errors
Best regards

awke- Jun 4, 2009 06:47AM
MY LAPTOP DOES start up when itry to turn on it peeps 1 up to the four
emziee x- Jul 5, 2010 09:52AM
samee i turn my laptop on and it beeps then stops and beeps and keeps doing it HELP?
Answer
+5
moins plus
Sorry mate but did you try to put ram in it while it was stile turned on if you did your computer is stuffed. Your options are get a new computer or get a new mother board

Answer
+5
moins plus
the computer could have something in the hard drive so check the it to see what is wrong if that is not the case then the motherboard is about to go out

Answer
+4
moins plus
I ran some performance checks for physical and logical errors, I cleaned up my registry and it found 2100 errors. I also freed up some of my RAM. I opened the PC up I took the drive out then put it back in; everything seems to be fine, its been working for about 2 weeks now.

Answer
+4
moins plus
I just fixed my girlfriend's computer with the same problem. All I did was replace the ram and everything worked perfect.

confused- Jul 2, 2010 09:59AM
i jjust got a new ram in though
manju- Jan 16, 2013 04:01AM
oye khussayo istra nhi hunda ....
Answer
+4
moins plus
Hai;
You dont mentined that you got your desktop in your machine
may in your system keyboard any key should have a problem ;
otther wise check the RAM and remove it and cleane using a paper dont touch directly to the ram pins
then check your computer is work or not
goog luck

Answer
+4
moins plus
Having tried all the suggested problem fixes we could find to no avail, my IT support man and I stripped my HP dv9000 series laptop down to the motherboard to try and identify any loose connections. Everything looked fine. With not much hope we tried the last resort of removing all the heat sinks and gently applied a hair dryer to the nVidia graphics processor and memory chips on the motherboard for about 2 minutes (both sides) until they were finger hot without scorching the surfaces. After letting it cool down we reassembled everything and switched on. Voila! My machine is back working! Total repair time about 3 hours. The HP sevice manual found on the web helped somewhat in identifying the the right disassembly procedure and screw types for reassembly. Not for the fainthearted but you don't have to be a rocket scientist either.

Answer
+4
moins plus
I had this problem on DELL OptiPlex 760. I removed the RAM chips, cleaned them (by blowing out dust), cleaned the machine, put them back and it worked! I followed advice in this column. Thanks everyone. My area is very dusty, you see.

Answer
+1
moins plus
I took my pc apart to give it a clean iveput everything in the right place and i jus get consant beeps for 5 seconds a piece every 2-3 seconds apart and no its not my ram i think its the processor but im not sure thefan on top works properly and every thing sounds like its working but still beeping can any 1 help

Answer
+0
moins plus
the beeps are actually 5-6 seconds long about not 2 seconds sorry about that

This document entitled « Computer Beeps on startup » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.