The bios boots but the screen goes blank

Closed
britmisal - Sep 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM
 bitumen - Dec 10, 2009 at 02:32 AM
Hello, I built a computer and it was fine but i put it in a other box an i changed the hdd and the dvd drive to sata
so my problem is that it boots the bios and it goes to install windows but after a few minutes the screen goes blank
can anybody help me???????? PLEASE!!!!
Related:

6 responses

brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Sep 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Hi There I assume that you had an IDE hard drive before. Have you just got a SATA drive in the machine now or have you still got the IDE drive connected.

Is this a new SATA drive, I assume that you have partitioned the SATA drive, have you adjusted the bios to allow for the boot off the SATA drive,

how far does the start-up process go does windows blue installing screen appear and if so how long does it try to install, does it say loading windows files at the bottom of the screen.

Have you tried installing the old IDE drive to see if it boots from that. Please let me know.
Kindest Regards Tony B.
sometimes the install goes all the way through and sometimes it doesn't. Is it any of my hardware that doesn't work
or do you think is my hard drive, and yes is a brand knew sata drive.

and I'm going to try my old ide drive to see if that works.
If it doesn't work I will come back with another questions?

I will come back to see the answer you give in a day.
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Sep 2, 2008 at 04:33 AM
Hi there
I don't think it will be anything to do with your SATA drive although it has been known for a new drive to be faulty.
I think it is more to do with the setup.
Please check the BIOS, when windows installs it transfers the basic system files then tries to reboot if it cannot find the drive the screen will go blank,

I know you have probably checked this before but please check again.
SATA setup seems to me not as straight forward as (IDE)

I have a SATA drive set up as my first boot drive and on my (IDE) channel I have an DVD writer as Master and a backup hard drive of 20GB as a slave in a hard drive caddy.

If I remove the backup hard drive by removing the caddy my computer will not boot and I have heard of similar problems that other people have had.???
So you see SATA for some reason or another can be a bit quirky.

I have known of a similar problem; a friend of mine found that he had problems with the memory in his computer although the computer would boot from a previously installed hard drive, when he went to install a new hard drive (IDE) and install Windows he found it would not load.

I think the problem was that just running windows from a previously installed hard drive takes less memory than a full reinstall, so the memory was crashing the system.

Perhaps you should download the Microsoft Memory Test from here https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-your-ram-with-microsoft-windows-memory-diagnostic/
and check out your memory.

Kindest Regards Tony B.
I switch the sata for the old ide and the computer it would still turn of after a few minutes if it is something that has to do with the hardware which one do you think it is or how can I test it to know witch piece of the hardware it is?

Before I switch to a new box it was working fine with the old ide im going to try the mem test to see if it gets me any results so thanks for helping me out Ill check back later.
hello i just bought a new dvd writer and it seemed also an sata while i had a ide installed before so i encountered the blackscreen too but dont worry just go in ur bios then choose ur drive in the general tab or whatever its called for u and then u can choose access mode or how its called on ur board and then i had to turn it off cuz in auto mode it think its a ide drive i hope this helped u out allot sry for typing evrything in one line cuz i am gonna try out some retro games and i cant wait!!! ask me iff u need more info

Grtz DeV1LSn0w

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
It may a incompatiable device driver fault.

Or It may be MBR Rellated failure.
so check with Fixmbr command in the command line.
does it go to a bright blue screen cause if it does it usually signals a hardwaare problem but what u can do is hit f8 before the windows xp loading screen loads and it will bring u to safe mode and open up msconfig under the run application and there start using a process of elmination using the startup and disable everything then see if it will load if it doesnt it is a hardware problem
If you previously had IDE drives, you probley set the bios to treat harddrives as IDE drives

Try change settings to AHCI (may require driver installs)

Hope this helps