Xp auto log off

Solved/Closed
wooty Posts 4 Registration date Monday September 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 9, 2008 - Sep 2, 2008 at 05:37 PM
 somedude - Oct 26, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Hello,
ive recently hit a snag, my windows xp boots up as usual to the log on screen, as soon as I imput my password, windows will play the log on sound and then just automatically log me off again, ive had many attempts to try and get windows to stay running including booting from CD and repair, but unsuccesful.

is there another way, a friend of mine suggested trying to activate the guest account at the log on screen, but I have no knowledge how and neither does he, will this rectify the problem for now?
i am planning on getting a new pc soon, but need access to my user account as there are many important documents for my work on it as well as 10Gb of music that I dont want to see vanish

any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you
Related:

88 responses

Edit these values and type the correct path of shell :

Shell = explorer.exe
Userinit=X:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

NOTE: These files may also be deleted by spywares. You may need to extract them using Windows CD.

Steps for rectifying this problem:

Log on to a networked computer.
Run Regedit.exe
Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Select File > Connect Remote Registry
Type computer name (infected computer)
Navigate to the following location in registry of destination or infected computer

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Edit these two values in right pane:

Shell
Userinit

Change these two values to
Shell=explorer.exe
Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
Exit from Registry
Restart Infected computer.
You should be able to log on to computer.
if it not work then go to back steps and just copy orwrite the file userinit.exe

workded successfully tested 100 percent gauranted

WAQAR GILGITI
do not attempt this fix from WAQAR GILGITI.
by changing "c" into "x" it creates a loop right back to the "log on" page.

WAQAR GILGITI, your a jerk.
the_apocalypse > Robes
Jan 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM
actually you are supposed to replace the "x" with the letter that is relevant to your particular setup, its like in algebra "x" can be anything.

in my case c:\ is my hdd with windows on it and d:\ is my dvdrom but I have other setups where its completely different

now on a more serious note if the registry entries he mentioned are intact(ie the way they are supposed to be) the issue could be a missing userinit.exe file. more clear instructions on how to replace it would be helpful so here's what happened to me last night.

i tried the expand command from recovery console:

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

but in my case I got the "file could not be created" error so I expanded the file to another directory (the root of c:\) and used "winternals erd commander 2005" and moved the file to the system32 folder, that solved that issue

if you don't have "winternals erd commander" cd you could use somthing else like a PE cd such as BartsPE or even a Linux live cd like ubuntu.

for more information use google search and try not to read Microsoft's "official" help they are confusing. reading is good for you (at least they say it is) so read as much as you can about how others solved this issue as well, I have only given details of my latest effort, its different everytime.