Computer cannot detect SD Memory card on USB

Solved/Closed
Fran - Sep 2, 2008 at 06:52 PM
 luis - Jun 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Hello,

Both my computers cannot detect a 4 brand GB mermory card inserted in a USB slot through a card reader. The first one I had tried was an HP and I exchanged it for a Kingston.\, but neither works. SDtrangely, 2 GB SD cards work perfectly, though. The store I bought it from tried it on their computer and it works
.Neither of my home computers are latest generation but they less than 5 years old and work perfectly!
I have XP and I noticed when the card is plugged in ,the computer freezes :" My computer " gives a warning that it it is not responding and my browser ( Avant) hangs.

Any clues ?

Thank you

Fran
Related:

7 responses

Hello everyone,

I also have the same problem with my 4GB SDHC card. This is what I found:

SD and SDHC compliance

If your computer's internal card reader works with 2GB (or lower) SD cards but fails to read a 4GB (or higher) SDHC card, then the computer's internal reader is not SDHC compliant.

This same logic also applies to digital cameras, if the digital camera reads 2GB (or lower) SD cards but fails to read a 4GB (or higher) SDHC card, then the digital camera is not SDHC compliant.

SD and SDHC specifications

The initial SD card specification defined the interface for cards only up to 2GB capacity. The subsequent SDHC specification was developed to provide increased capacity of 4GB – 32GB cards. Computers and other products purchased before 2008 may not be SDHC compatible. Computers and other products purchased before 2007 are not SDHC compatible.

Verifying the card reader slot

If the card reader slot on your computer does not have the SDHC logo, it is most likely not SDHC compatible and will only read cards up to 2GB capacity.

Other options you can use to read files on your SDHC card
If your computer's card reader is not SDHC compatible, you have 3 options available:
  • 1. You can connect your camera (or other device) that works with SDHC to your computer using a USB cable that came with the camera. You should be able to transfer files to the computer this way.
  • 2. You can contact you computer manufacturer to see if they have a free firmware update for your model that will make it SDHC compatible
  • 3. You can buy inexpensive SanDisk SDHC card readers that will connect to your computer's USB port."

source: https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54/kw/SD%20SDHC/r_id/101834
This was great advise. I was banging my head on the table for hours trying to figure out why it was not reading. Makes perrect sence. Thanks again.
brill advise, thanks
David thank you . finaly I know why.
Gr8 suggestions .. thanks
thank you very much for the explaination.. i'll find sdhc card reader tomorrow.. anyway thanks again
This solution might seem rather rudimentary but it worked for me.. When I insert the SD card in in my Toshiba it makes the recognition sound every time and flashed the LED light, but when I went to My Computer to see, it was not there anymore. Its stopped being recognized. I tried everything from thorough cleaning, slow insertion, checking drivers, external help and so on... so, just about to give up, I cut a piece of thin cardboard and placed it on the upper side of the card (the side that does not have the metallic contacts), then I slid it slowly.. and voila.. it worked. The tiny internal contacts, pins or whatever, must have lost their flexibility by now.. Do it with extra care so you don't push those internal pins too much. Good luck
incredible. it worked. thanks ever so much!
wow I cant believe this actually worked for me too.. lol nice. tyyyy
lol... worked for me as well... i
are u sure ?
omg this work!! after hours and hours of hard work finally ty soooo much I love u
here is a suggestion that I have found that works for *SOME* people. give it a whirl and see if it works for you.....
  • 1. Uninstall SP3, and reboot into SP2.
  • 2. Copy the following files from c:\windows\system32\drivers to somewhere safe: sdbus.sys, sffdisk.sys, sffp_sd.sys. I put them on my desktop. They should all be version 6.0.4061.1
  • 3. Install SP3, and reboot.
  • 4. Shutdown, and restart using F8 to go into Safe Mode.
  • 5. Log in as Administrator (or another account with admin rights)
  • 6. In C:\windows\system32\drivers rename each of sdbus.sys, sffdisk.sys and sffp_sd.sys.to have a .old extension.
  • 7. Copy the files you saved in step 2 to c:\windows\systems32\drivers
  • 8. Shutdown and restart normally.
umm yeah so I might have a solution. at least it worked for me, I took my 2g micro sd and put it in my adapter and placed it in a camera and formatted it that way. [since nothing else was working] then when I checked my computer the said it was canon_[something] but this gave me hope so I tried putting music in it and then put it in my phone and tried to see if it worked. unfortunately nothing picked up on my phone, but I figured that if you place a picture or something onto the card and then plugged it into the computer it changes things however and would have the pix/flix/music folders, and it did and now my mirco sd card is working again :) hope this helps out someone
sorry about this please disregard my last comment I accidently used my cousins sd card which actually works. sorry again
THOUGHT SO

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i put my SD memory card in and it worked fine..

but then when I "safely removed" it, all the

I:/ H:/ J:/ etc. drives got deleted or somethin.

how do I get my "Computer" to have those drives again?

please help.
hmmm well does it come back on when you plug it back in? like I usually see I:/ H:/ J:/ etc. when I usually plug in some usb device into the computer. hmm did you try the process that I wrote above? the whole camera thing? like I later found that it worked [sorry for the confusion, idk how to delete that second comment]. oh yeah just curious are you using the sd card for a camera or phone?
dude. > that one guy
Jan 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM
actually I didnt try that.. [ I use the sd card for my psp]

what I did, was go to control panel and I started to click things, which led me to a driver update thing.

soooo.. it found the software or something to update my comp, and it ended up saying that I have to restart for the new computer change (the driver update) to take effect.

so I restarted the computer and I got my I: G: H: etc. drives back.

thanks anyways. :P
Reboot.

Mine does this when I forget to "safely remove" a usb or a card or something. All of my drives: H, J, E, K, etc, disappear.
The only way ive ever been able to get them to show again under "computer", is a simple reboot, and they reinstall.
Razz
farhiya > razzell2
Mar 1, 2010 at 06:49 AM
hi how are u and I know I always have these problems and it is hard to fixt it...
EASEUS.Data.Recovery.Wizard.Professional.v5.5.1.Retail-FOSI
tcjman Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 10, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 11, 2008
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Goto the URL below and download the hotfix from Microsoft and you will be able to read the SD cards again in your old card reader.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/934428
I have just encountered this exact problem. My SD card is 4GB and my HP will not recognize it. I tried running the microsoft update but it tells me I don't need to run this as my software is up to date. Still won't recognize the memory card! Help!
jason > minpin08
Dec 4, 2008 at 03:42 PM
I have just encountered this exact problem. My SD card is 4GB and my HP will not recognize it. I tried running the microsoft update but it tells me I don't need to run this as my software is up to date. Still won't recognize the memory card! Help!

did you find a solution im desperate to get it sorted cheers
Tcjman you are a star - my pc stopped recognising my 8gb micro sd after I took it back to factory settings, but now following your link it's all good !!!! Thank you so much!

M
Thank you so much!
loriflower > jason
Jul 20, 2009 at 08:49 PM
I tried the link and my computer is also telling me that my system is up to date. I can try downloading a driver online, but I'm kind of afraid of what else I might download (virus, etc.) I don't even know the manufacturer of my card reader.

Can I trust the Driver Detective? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
just through it and buy a new card reader.............