Excel: matching and sorting

Solved/Closed
joecrosstime - Sep 4, 2008 at 12:25 PM
 lew13 - May 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM
Hello,
Ok, how sould a computer dummy to this (the dummy is me):
I have a list of 300 bike racers. In the columns next to the racer is items such as bib numbers, team, age, etc.
For example:
John Smith / #52 / Eagles Racing Team / 42 / San Francisco
When the race is over, the officials will give me a list of results in order by bib number, like this:
What I'd like to do is enter those numbers in a colunm on the far left, next to a column which I've alread set up so that it will look like this:
1 / #47
2 / #66
3 / #67
Then I'd like the computer to match the information for #47 with the rest of the information about #47 and down the list.
Do you know how I can do this?
Related:

4 responses

Okay,

To solve this you need to use a lookup table for example:

Say you have headings for the podium finishers in B1 Bib #, C1 Name, D1 Team, E1 Age, F1 Home Base
then you have A2, A3, and A4 showing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and the podium finsishers listed in B2, B3, and B4 respectively.

Then your table of 300 bike racers data is in columns J2 through N302 in the same order as the podium finishes above. It is important to have the bib numbers first as this is what you will be using to search the data on.

The formula you will be using in cells C2 thru F4 for the podium finishers details will be:
=vlookup(lookup value, data table arrary, column index number,)

where the lookup value will be the bib number in the above case b2, b3 and b4. The data table array will be J2:N302 and the column index number will be 2 for name, 3 for team, 4 for age and 5 for home base (keep in mind 1 is for the bib number you already have) then ensure you have a "," (comma) at the end before the close brackets.

For more information look up the help file for VLOOKUP tables.

Also just a thought, for better data accuracy instead of storing the age you could store their DOB then you wouldn't have to update the sheet for all riders each year.
Hi Jimmy
I am looking to match information in one column with another and came accross your advice to joecrosstime.

I sent out faxes to over 800 different numbers and have them listed in an excell spreadsheet with names in A and fax numbers in B.

My fax service provider sent my message to each but 150 failed. I have a list of the failed numbers in C and need to match them to the cells in A and B so that I can follow on the faxes that failed.

How do I get the numbers in C to to match the numbers in B?

Thanks

syd
Matt_NZ > Syd
Feb 4, 2009 at 04:30 PM
If all you need is to match up the names from column A to the numbers in Column C (via numbers in Column B) then this should do the trick...

In Column D enter the function =INDEX($A$1:$A$800,MATCH($C1,$B$1:$B$800,0))... then just drag this down the cells to auto fill for the rest of the 150 rows.

What it is doing is Matching the value in C1 (bad number), with the values between A1 to A800 (original list of sent numbers). Once the MATCH function gets a match, it returns a row reference, which the INDEX function uses to give you the value in Column A (the name).

Hope this is what you were after?
JotaPe > Matt_NZ
Jul 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM
It worked for me! Thank you very much!
Thanks! That was very helpful.
I am having a similar issue, and am NOT good with functions....

I have a list of 5522 Codes which have their corresponding gender next to them. I have another list of 1046 codes that I would LIKE to have their genders next too. All 1046 codes are in the 5522 list of codes. How can I match the the codes in these two columns so I can have genders for teh 1046 codes?

ex. I have this...
Code Gender
12345 F
12346 M
12347 F
12348 F
12349 M

And this...
Code Gender

How can I get the correct genders with the correct numbers in the second list?
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Feb 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM
If your list 1 is in sheet 1 (Code in Column A and Gender in Column B) and your list 2 is in sheet 2 (Code in Column A and Gender in Column B), then on sheet 2 from cell B2 you can use this
=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!A2, Sheet1!A:B, 2, FALSE)
Awesome Rizvisa you rock!!!!!
yemane
i will answer this problem with in a weeks.
b'cauz I am liitle busy now
Thank you Rizvisa! I had the same problem as Sandy. I solved it thanks to you! greeting!
He Matt , Amazing man
Thanks Dear
Jimmy's answer is unclear and very confused. You should try to download a special software to match the cells you want such as Excel Joint Merge Two Tables, etc
ya
i am also searching for a solution for this matching problem . can anyone fpost a solution please?