Powerbook G4 does not recognize hard drive

Closed
yahs - Sep 6, 2008 at 01:17 PM
littlemunsterLA Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 17, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2009 - Jun 17, 2009 at 08:41 PM
Hello,

My Powerbook G4 would freeze about 30 seconds after start up, so i tried to repair with disk utility and it did not help the problem. I eventually gave up and decided to wipe the hard drive and do a reinstall of the system. It booted up and everything looked fine, and then i put the second instillation disk in and the amount of time to install kept rising, so i left the computer and when i cam back to it i saw the power cord had become disconnected, and the whole system froze. I shut it down holding the power button, and now it will no longer boot up, and it gets stuck on the gray screen with the apple, and when i boot from instillation disk, it is not recognizing my hard drive, and when i go to disk utility, i get the rainbow spinning wheel of death and it continues to search to no avail. Can someone please help me???
Related:

9 responses

i am having the same problem. I got a western digital hard drive 2.5 inches and now i have no proccesser software and my disc will not work. I can not get my hard drive to mount or load anything on it. Help me please people
exactly the same. bought a western digital hc, but my g4 can't recognize.
your hardive crashed. just fixed that problem myself
I got a freeze halfway during a clean install on a PowerBook G4, Now i can only boot from a boot cd but i can no longer see the hard disk. Is there anyway I can mount the Harddisk for proper repair? I have tried with disk utilities to no avail.
Go to applications>Utilities>Disk Utility Plug in the Usb Then plug your power cord in it should appear

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
littlemunsterLA Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 17, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2009 3
Jun 17, 2009 at 08:41 PM
Hey guys... My Friends iBookG4 says panic cpu unable to find driver for this platform "PowerBook6,5"

He doesn't have the instal disk.. where can I get it?
i would turn the HDD into and external one, plug into another macbook, and erase everything from the utility disc. Reinstall
what shows up (if anything) hen u boot up w/ boot disk in after holding down "c"?

anything at all?
I'm having difficulty with a friend computer doing the same thing. Anyone have any answers? Ideas? Clairvoyance?
zaxs Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday June 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2009
Jun 17, 2009 at 08:18 AM
thanks for the quick reply. I have tried to starting the Machine as a "target disk" but it does not appear on the other Mac thus i cannot erase and reinstall afresh... could this be a result of a permanent disk damage?