My Dell computer does not load Windows XP

Solved/Closed
Italwoman - Sep 8, 2008 at 06:42 PM
 names - Dec 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Hello,
I have a Dell Optiplex G1 computer. Whenever I use to turn it on it would ask me to press F1 or F2 and it would then load windows XP however now once I do try to press on F1 or F2 nothing happens. Does anyone know how I can by pass this?
Related:

4 responses

Hey

You need to check the message like diskett drive seek failure or any other message..

If its diskett drive seek failure access bios by F2 and disable the Diskett drive (Floppy drive)

Or is there any other message let me knw. Will give u the answer for the same..As I work for Dell Technical Support
i get a error that says diskette drive 1 seek failure..can you please help me..
Rahul > singh
Jan 15, 2009 at 04:04 AM
If you are still getting the message diskett drive seek failure press F2 access Bios
Look for the option which says drives- Under drives look for diskett drive and disabled/off/none save and exit. You will not get the same message again-

If u press F2 and f12 and nothing happens you will need to open the computer remove the cmos battry (Round small matalic battry) and then restart the computer and should work fine.
Hi Rahul,

on a simular note, my computer will not load the software for a AIO 964 printer. I am using XP on this machine. I have downloaded R113115 drivers which unpack ok. When I get to is the printer local or network option, when I click on one of those options the installation simply stops with all additional messages or actions disapearing. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
I have a quick question couple week ago I reboot my computer because it was catching a lot of virus, it work fine for couple week, suddenly it is giving me a( fatal system error) The windows logon process terminated unexpectedly with a status of oxoooo what ever
The system has been shut down, now I try to press F1 it won't do anything. Can you help?
Rahul, I am working on a dimension 8400 for my brother. I am trying to load XP Pro fresh on a clean hard drive but it does not recognize the cd. It is an original cd without any service packs. Could this be stopping it from recognizing? It will boot with a norton ghost cd but not an xp cd. I am lost.
Anonynous Posts 3 Registration date Thursday March 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 13, 2009
Mar 13, 2009 at 05:05 PM
ok. all pc's at the start up would ask you to press F1, F2, DELETE, ESC, F10, F12 these key are to trouble shoot your computer first it will send you to the BIOS where you can see all the information about your pc. if you don't press any key it will continue to the operating system.

solution press the key F2 when you get to the BIOS select boot press enter and select boot from cd
then press F8 to the agreement screen
then select the C: drive to reinstall your operating system
the follow the screen.....good luck
The User/Owner Password has been lost and a Wizard Reset was ignored at the time. A good lesson to learn here!

I've tried the F1 to F8 for a soft landing with a C:\ Prompt, but it automatically goes to a boot asking for the Windows Vista password and NOT to a C:/ Prompt that would enable me to hopefully do a Restore. Help!
so is that going to reboot the entire operating system? with out saving any memory I previously had?
I get the same F1 and F2 error on my optiplex. The computer will boot if the windows xp cd is in the cd-rom drive, even though I do not select boot from CD. When I reinstall windows, the computer boots fine, but as soon as I restart the computer without the windows CD in the cd-drive the computer returns to the F1 and F2 error. It seems to be some sort of software error. Any suggestions?
When the PC is dead cold XP (home Edition sp2) came up ok but could not find the ethernet or some USB drivers on the system nor on the install cd.

Subsequently when rebooted the PC I have exactly the same problem. I can goto the bios and the only unusual item I found was a keyboard error in the log. (I am now using a different wired keyboard.)

I booted the system from the install CD, went into repaur mode and I am running chkdsk /p against disc C:

I do not expect resolution of the problem with doing a chkdsk /p.

I susect a hardware problem generated by heat. (Both fans or operating) The bios does not provide internal temperature readings. Probably a Dell cost cutting measure on the motherboard.

I will update this page when I find the issue...

Comments
Same problem, temp solution is reboot and press F12 when the menu comes up go to the select that says "boot utility partition" mine will then go into WInXP. I have 8 of Dell Opitplex SX260 that have been wiped and I am having trouble reloading them.
anal
kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Apr 29, 2010 at 10:49 PM
You generally have to fix these things:
1) Windows based tools
2) Recovery Console tools
3) Repair Install
4) Load over the top
5) Partition and format