Reset router but now unsecured

Closed
Octavian21 - Jan 7, 2010 at 01:17 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 7, 2010 at 03:00 PM
Hello,
good afternoon,

I have the Linksys by Cisco WRT54GL router and it works well with my dell laptop. I just purchased a new dell laptop for my wife but could not find the password to logon to the network. I pressed the reset button and now can access the network from both laptops, but the connection is unsecured. How can I get the connection secured with a password again.

The sticking point is that I no longer have the software that came with the router and on top of that the software was originally installed on my brother's laptop who now lives in Seattle so I can not use the program that came with it to make adjustments.

Help please...

thanks

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jan 7, 2010 at 03:00 PM
Resetting one’s LinkSys default password becomes especially important if you have forgotten the password that you had set before. The default password is the factory one. To restore the factory settings of your LinkSys router, hold on to the reset button on the unit for about 10 seconds or more and then release it. It’s usually that simple. You will know that the unit is ready as soon as the lights stop blinking. If you had changed the password, it will have gone by now and you may now refer to the user manual for the router to proceed further. If your router is configured as per your ISP settings, you may end up losing connection until you set up the unit again. And once you have managed to do that, it will be prudent if you could log in and reconfigure it again. This is done in order to secure the LinkSys router. For you to reconfigure the router, you need to connect it to a PC through one of its Ethernet ports, and then load a web browser, and then go to this URL: http://192.168.1.1/.
That takes you to the pop up box and you will be required to enter your password and username to log on to the router. The LinkSys default password for the older routers is “admin” (remember using lower cases only). The username is blank. For newer routers, both the password and the username are set as “admin”. And once you have gone past the login screen, it’s now possible to reconfigure the router. You will then need to go to the management tab and change the administrator password to something that will be both easy for you to remember and hard for others to guess. You will also need to enable your WAP or WEP security to curb unauthorized access to your wireless network.
Good Luck