Ask a question Report

Secondary monitor shuts off when laptop close [Solved/Closed]

asessio - Latest answer on Oct 15, 2012 05:00AM
Hello,
I have a new dell Inspiron laptop. I purchased a Keningston docking station. Everything works fine if my laptop lid is open, but if I close the laptop lid, I lose the display on the monitor attached to the docking station. How can I close the laptop and keep the display on the monitor showing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Read more 
Answer
+113
moins plus
Goto control panel power options on close the lid link on the left select do nothing on each of the option battery or plugged in........take passwork protection off.....apply settings......and then close your laptop wait 10 seconds and move your mouse around. took me 2 hours to wait ten seconds....you guys are getting off easier than I did....

sri- Apr 9, 2011 10:38AM
Hey Great man..I was pulling my hair from a long time..it was a defect with my laptop..i was so stupid didn't check this out for so long...
anyway thnaks a looooooooot!!
Craig- Apr 19, 2011 12:12PM
I also had this problem and thought it would be easy to solve, it was but only thanks to this.
Karen- May 20, 2011 12:53PM
THANK YOU! Somehow taking off the password and then applying setting did the trick! I had fooled around all morning on this one trying to work!
HALIHALAO- May 20, 2011 01:47PM
Thaks it works for me.
Jojo- Oct 9, 2012 01:03PM
thank you
Answer
+26
moins plus
Go to control panel
choose hardware and sound
now choose power options
click on the link what closing the lid does
now at when i close the LID choose the option do nothing for both battery and plugged in

anon- Sep 21, 2010 08:38AM
Thanks! This was a very helpful addition to the original comment as I am computer illiterate and did not know where in the control panel to go.
NEWBIE- Nov 19, 2010 12:02PM
THank YOU!!!!
Me- Dec 19, 2010 12:22AM
OMG!!! That was the easiest thing in the world to do. Thanks!
giscindy- Jan 9, 2011 12:11PM
Exactly what I needed to know! Thanks!
Answer
+19
moins plus
On, HP Mini 110-1100, the display on the monitor turns off when laptop lid is closed even with 'Do nothing' selected for 'When I close the lid' regardless of whether the laptop is plugged in or not.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thank you, that worked 'gavinemb' but I am wondering if I put back on the password protection will it do the same?

This document entitled « secondary monitor shuts off when laptop close » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.