Help!! can't start mw2 multiplayer [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question boobchoob - Last answered on Feb 18, 2017 at 11:03 AM by Slithered
Hello,
please help!
Steam works, but it says I didn't shut down properly and would I like to start in safe mode.........well, it doesn't start up in safe or normal mode,...i just get the small black screen and the program doesn't respond. Any suggestions?
Would I have to re-install the game? would I lose my levels? (I'm between level 69 and 70!!!!! Eish!!)
Please help
See more 
Helpful
+38
plus moins
Go to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/common/call of duty modern warfare 2/players.....

And open the "config_mp.cfg" in NOTEPAD

Once its open in Notepad go to Edit->Find and type "fullscreen"

Immediately after the word fullscreen you will see a number in quotes like this : "1"

Change this number to a "0" and SAVE the file.

Start muliplayer and you will see that it starts in a window.... Go to your graphics options and under advanced make sure the "Screen Refresh Rate" is set to 60 (or what ever your monitor supports, mine was set to 56Hz which failed horribly so I reset to 60.)

Hope this helps.
Was this answer helpful?  
heeeeey- Mar 11, 2015 at 05:53 PM
with the above steps, go to task manager >> processes >> iw4mp.exe >> right-click >> affinity >> tick only: "CPU 0" and "CPU 1" >> task manager again >> tick "all CPU" >> switch back to iw4mp.exe and wait for it to load
jakfienkt 2Posts Sunday April 17, 2016Registration date April 17, 2016 Last seen - Apr 17, 2016 at 06:10 AM
It still won't work for me, can someone help me please? I did all the above except what heeeeey said because I didn't understand that.

When I start MW2 I get this screen http://puu.sh/olr3L/b03fd98fc5.jpg I press yes, then I get this http://puu.sh/olr55/f1acb9ca2e.jpg and I press yes again and finally I get to this screen http://puu.sh/olr6w/a3008de689.jpg where it does nothing and when I hover my mouse over it I can see its loading.

My specs are:
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30 GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 750m

Please help me
billyleith- May 1, 2016 at 08:20 AM
i have the same problem bro so your not the only one
Slithered jakfienkt - Feb 18, 2017 at 11:03 AM
You should probably wait for like 10 20 minutes.
I wait that long to play other games like Gary's mod it eventually loads
peepplayzmc- Oct 9, 2016 at 07:30 AM
i use a mac book air
i have the same problems idk what is going on i just bought it so
Helpful
+37
plus moins
I have found a way to get the multi-player working again, but this may not work for all people. So I will describe the symptoms that my game had and if you are having the same then this should work;

1 Single player is working ok

2 Multi-player does not work;
Application starts, shows the splash screen then the screen goes black and then nothing........... application hangs and you have to press ctrl, alt and del to start task manager and end iw4mp.exe that is no longer responding.

3 you start the application again and get the option for safe mode and go back up to 2.

4 you remove game content through steam and re-download or restore from backup and multi-player still does not work.

if this is sounding familiar then this is what I did to get the game working, which is possible the long way but here goes;

In steam, select "Backup game files" for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and multi-player, (select both titles in the backup list). Then select Delete local content for both single player and multi player.

Next, locate your steam common folder, eg; D:\Steam\steamapps\common\ there should be a folder called"call of duty modern warfare 2"

I deleted this folder, you may wish to move this folder to another location like your desktop.

Then restore modern warfare from the backup you made earlier and allow it to update and resync

lastly, start multi-player as normal ....... you may get a message "completing installation" .......... just retry and it should start up allowing you to set key bindings etc...

----------------------------------------------

I am guessing that simply renaming the dir "players" to something else could also work and may be quicker but as my game is working ok i am unable to verify, however the single player profiles are also in the players dir so its worth keeping it in a safe place.
ac3mark 6807Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus April 25, 2017 Last seen - Dec 30, 2016 at 03:04 PM
Thank you for sharing. I have made your comment into an answer, and moved it up the list!
Leave a comment
Helpful
+9
plus moins
it worked for me with re-instaling it, if u wanna save u'r singleplayer saves just go to Steam/Steamapps/common/Call of duty Moderne Warfare 2 find the file players and save it to another file(the online stats are stored online) when u have re-instaled it u just replace the players list with the original.
that worked for me atleast =P
Helpful
+6
plus moins
You don't have to reinstall the game I have tried 3 times it does not work. so my answer is step 1- Go online on steam
step 2- unplug your ethernet cable
step 3- do not exit steam
step 4- start the game either multiplayer or single player
step 5- plug in your ethernet cable to access online service
hope this helps
chedarBOB- Aug 6, 2015 at 07:26 PM
thanks a bunch man it helped! easyest way too! (Y)
Elliott- Jan 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM
where is steam? ps3
falcone- Feb 6, 2016 at 07:22 PM
Steam is the main PC gaming platfrom. This is a PC guide
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Hi, Got this from another post

I got a black a screen, just wait 5 minutes and you should find the game load, just a bit slow- worth the wait!

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?