Ask a question Report

Laptop screen blank when switched on [Solved/Closed]

FLOWERS - Latest answer on Nov 4, 2012 01:24AM
Hello, i log out my laptop as usual . switched the laptop on the next day but the screen would not work also the drive light is not on / flashing .the laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000 Entertainment pc
Thank YOU
Read more 
Answer
+1941
moins plus
I had the same problem with my HP DV6599. On power on the screen would stay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spin up but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVD drive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the tray but still would not boot. I found an answer on another forum. Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked for me! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go. Worked for me so definitely worth a try.

--friend- Oct 12, 2012 03:14AM
Thanks a lot !!. It works fine for me also.
It looks like I have problem with my battery.. After replacing the battery it is the same issue...
So I took my battery and adjusted the power management settings...

Atleaset my wife can use from home now.. :)
Asus User- Oct 12, 2012 02:14PM
Also works on ASUS N75S notebooks - thanks!
shanej302- Oct 14, 2012 12:52AM
Thanks i but my fingerton the on button for abou t 5 sec and it work thanks alot
gymm 1Posts Tuesday October 16, 2012Registration date October 16, 2012 Last seen - Oct 16, 2012 02:33PM
I was ready to go get another computer, and then ran across this fix here and it worked just great. Thank you for the info.
kathiw 1Posts Sunday November 4, 2012Registration date November 4, 2012 Last seen - Nov 4, 2012 01:24AM
It worked! Awesome, i was unsure what holding down a button when the laptop is off would do, i thought nothing but for whatever reason it worked. The last time the screen wouldn't come on my daughter just bought a new laptop and was going to throw this one away but I got it to fire up and gave it to my son. After 1 month it happened again. Thanks for the tip we'll keep trying it if it ever happens again.
Answer
+338
moins plus
Just to update everybody on my diagnose:

So there are many problems which will cause issues of the screen.

1. Software
- Try Fn + F5 or something like that

2. Electrical
- Remove battery, unplug power, hold power button for 60 seconds, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

3. Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
- Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch)
- Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle

4. Hardware
- You need to replace either Inverter, Blacklight, or everything. =)

Good luck and have fun!!!

Sarah M- Jun 2, 2010 01:57PM
Thank you so much. Saved us money we don't have trying to fix computer. xx
Dude5566- Jun 11, 2010 01:09PM
u got any better advice
Mother of Daughter!- Jun 11, 2010 06:47PM
Yes it worked!
Tabby- Oct 7, 2012 12:38AM
Solution Number 3 worked for me, starting it with the screen about 30 degrees lifted, so the screen showed up and then it told me "altheros ethernet controller no bootable device found" --basically meant hard drive was dead. At least I can replace that myself. THANKS!! SO MUCH!!!
Casey- Oct 10, 2012 09:58AM
Thank you so much, you are a life saver!!!
Answer
+87
moins plus
try this if its a laptop.... unplug the power to the pc then take out the battery, then hold the start button on ur laptop for 20-30 seconds,,,once thats done, continue with installing the battery again and power lead.. then simply press start on ur laptop, an voila!!!! this should work, worked on mine!!!! hope this helps u too...

baldi68

xpcman 12623Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus September 4, 2015 Last seen - Jun 10, 2010 11:32AM
This works ONLY for laptops that don't respond to the ON switch. Blank or blinking screens are a hardware problem.
Dior- Jun 11, 2010 06:06AM
oh o plz dont say that... somebody told me its a virus. is it possible?? i scanned but nothing was detected
Dude5566- Jun 11, 2010 01:07PM
its doenst work on mine....wut should i do??
coreysmom- Apr 19, 2011 03:56PM
This worked for me too!! Thanks so much!!! : )
gem- Apr 19, 2011 04:47PM
brilliant works great ,cannot thank you enough
Answer
+70
moins plus
I'm glad this fix has worked for so many people. I've had to use this fix again since posting.

Just to be clear this is not a fix for screen problems, this is a fix for a problem that prevents the laptop from booting at all. The laptop would not even attempt a POST and so would not even get as far as trying to output anything to the display.

I'm no expert but just wanted to share a fix that worked for me. For me it was a problem with the laptop not coming out of hibernation properly and completely freezing, the only option was to power off. On reboot nothing would happen, the screen would not even be initialised so it is nothing to do with the screen.

I can only theorise what the problem may be. As the solution is to remove the power lead, remove the battery and hold down the power button it would seem to be an issue with the laptop retaining some residual charge which is preventing the laptop from booting. I've heard of other poeple who have managed to fix this by simply letting the battery run out and then leave it overnight, this will again dissipate any residual charge but is just a much slower way of doing it. Holding the power button down with no power sources attached will dissipate this charge and allow the laptop to boot when a power source is reattached.

Unfortunately if the laptop boots and the screen is blank then it is a different issue, if the image on the screen is faint it is most likely a problem with the backlight and in these instances this fix will not work. Before posting this I thought this was an isolated incident but there have been so many replies it would appear to be a more common issue than I thought and works on many different models, not just the DV6599 that I've tried it on.

Thanks for all the postitive comments and I'm glad this has saved so many people a lot of money in unecessary repairs!

Usako- Jun 19, 2010 08:38AM
OMG thank you so much! i was so frustrated I was crying I just had the fan replaced I couldn't afford to have repairs done again thank you thank you thank you! my model is HP DV9000
Hewie- Jun 19, 2010 04:15PM
I have just done this to our laptop and it works - fabulous - thank you!
boots of vishnu- Apr 19, 2011 09:25PM
another thank you! the power drain fix save my but. My dv6 is my connection to the world so thanks!
yo yo- Apr 20, 2011 12:33AM
thanks alot man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had the same problem with my toshiba laptop and your method resolved it
Kia- Apr 23, 2011 12:01PM
likewise, worked a treat and no marathon phone-calls, thanks.
Answer
+63
moins plus
i have a HP pavillion dv2000 and i experienced the same problem, then i searched for the answer to this strange situation and found that this works like MAGIC! :

1. UNPLUG THE POWER
2. REMOVE BATTERY
3. HOLD POWER BUTTON FOR 30/60 SECONDS
4. REATTACH POWER AND START THE LAPTOP
5. SHUT BACK DOWN
6. PUT IN THE BATTERY
7. THATS IT

honestly, it works like a charm
thank you so much!
love Zoey :) xx

Answer
+52
moins plus
My husbands laptop randomly decided to go into "sleep" mode. He had selected sleep, shut the top, walked away and went to bed. Next morning he opens it and it does its wonderful mind-boggling complication of not wanting to have anything but a black screen, not a powered on black screen, just nothing... Yet, the system was trying to run anyway. ~confuzzled~
So, I do a google search and this is the first place I come across. Nanor, your advice is fantastic. I have no idea how you managed to figure out the hokey-pokey-dance to get this trick, but thank you for the time invested in doing so.
I tried the original: Remove battery, hold power button, plug in power cord, reboot,... still had the black screen", so I scrolled down and read a few more posts. So I redid the song and dance back up to the reinsert the power cord and turn it on, but instead of opening the lid all the way, I opened it just far enough to reach the power button, this did the trick; the screen lit up! and the boot process was clearly visual again! ..."continued to do a proper "shut down", reinsert battery, etc etc. powered up again and everything was just peachy!

Thank you.

Bird- Apr 19, 2011 08:11PM
Unplugging comp from wall and taking battery out worked like a charm!
Answer
+45
moins plus
The unplugging/replugging battery trick works for my HP Pavillion dv9500....but what is it exactly doing? Why does it work? Is this a permanent fix to the problem?

Will an external monitor work?

Answer
+35
moins plus
thankx this helped a lot :)

Answer
+32
moins plus
Thank you, works for me: HP Pavillion dv9300us.

Answer
+25
moins plus
Thank you soooo much for your advice. I had the same "Black Screen" problem. Last night I was using my laptop just as usual.... no problems whatsoever. I finished my project, closed the lid of the laptop (didn't shut down or put it to "sleep") and went to bed at 11:30pm. I woke up at 5:00am to continue my project, opened the lid of the laptop and my screen was black - and stayed that way. It was kind of like "the lights are OFF but someone WAS home". All the sound was working, I could hear everything running like usual yet no screen at all. Yes, PANIC!! I did a Google search and I stumbled upon this site and read all of the posts. Finding this string of posts was a true blessing! I tried the fix suggested (unplugged the power, took the battery out, held the power button for 60 seconds - said a little prayer and crossed my fingers - then plugged back in the power cord and tried to boot it up like normal. POOF!! It worked just as usual. I had the black and white screen saying that my laptop shut down improperly and did I want to start it up in Safe mode or Normally (because I did try to turn it off - using a hard shut down - to try to see if that would work, but it didn't). I said to start Normally.... lo and behold all began to work like a charm!

Thank you sooooo much for posting this fix for all of us to try. I was dreading taking it in someplace and getting charged a ton for a simple little fix like this.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv9720us Notebook PC. It has NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M graphics. I bought it about a year ago (perhaps even just over a year ago) and am probably out of warrenty. (double yikes!)

Again. Thanks for posting this fix. I would suggest to anyone to at least give it a try if you are having the same problem.

Take care-
Shannon

Amy- May 4, 2010 08:24PM
Decide what you are willing to spend on your new laptop computer. Laptops can range in price from 500 to several thousand dollars, http://www.discount-laptop-battery.co.uk/dell-laptop-battery.htm so it's important to have a price range in mind before you start looking.
abc- Jun 9, 2010 08:28AM
thanx so much ..my laptop also started working
Scatta- Apr 17, 2011 05:21AM
I am having the same problem now. Did all the stuff with the battery and the power cord; held down the button for 60 second but it did not work. I must say this is the second time I am having this problem. In the first instance I put down the laptop for several days and tried turning it on and wallah! It came back on. But now that is not working no more
Answer
+24
moins plus
hey that worked! and i have a toshibia!! thank you so much!! i am so happy!!! wiwi..lol...thanks!!

Answer
+23
moins plus
Dang!
Thanx man! This joint actually worked!

Answer
+22
moins plus
Omg! thank u for this post...i just bought my laptop n used for business. it had all my business info in there n it shut down like me on that...for weeks i thought i'd have to go thru all my receipts & invoices and had to reenter them again. I used ur method and voila i m back to using my laptop. Thanx peeps....this is sooo cool.

Answer
+22
moins plus
WORKS FOR MY ACER =]

Answer
+18
moins plus
Nanor
Thank you very much for your solution to the problem. It worked for my HP DV 6618cv. HP should include this in the troubleshooting section of the manual. I will never buy an HP product again, or better yet never buy any PC again, not worth the headaches. In 13 years of computer use never had a problem with a MAC.

Answer
+17
moins plus
Thank you, Nanor, It worked for me too, I was about to contact HP and send my laptop back. Thanks man you saved me from all the headache i was about to go through with HP.

Answer
+17
moins plus
Thank you so much for the tip to remove the battery and hold down the power button! That one worked for my toshiba satellite!

Thanks so much,
Caleb

Answer
+16
moins plus
Very, very helpful.. You know like others I was almost gave up, and then I read this. Mine is benq s41 and I install Leopard on it but I forget to change sleep mode. Then it sleep and never wake up. But I found it works now.. becoz of you, My Man..

So many thanks.. Sure you're my saviour

Lee- Apr 30, 2010 06:18AM
Hey guys, i need help. My Toshiba Laptop Harman/Kardon cannot go on even though the is fan, there is nothing i can seee. Please someone help me
dave- May 2, 2010 10:43PM
works great. I was scared for a while that I would lose everything. Thank you
Nelson- May 6, 2010 11:10PM
Lee,
I have the same computer and mine is doing the same thing. The "pull the plug and battery and hold power" trick mentioned here is not working. Not sure what the issue is, but you're not alone. Can anyone provide additional troubleshooting tips???
GajitM- May 7, 2010 11:21AM
i have same black display problem on my acer Extensa 4230. i try to remove battery, unplug power, hold power button for 60 seconds, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart. But nothing happened(Problem not solved). then i tried some short cut key Alt+Ctrl+F1 and Alt+Ctrl+F3 and Alt+Ctrl+F11. now the problem is solved i can see my desktop.
trixa- May 19, 2010 03:09AM
hi my laptop is MSI windows Vista it worked properly yesterday... but now when i turned it on.. the screen went totally black but it is loading....the keyboard wont function at all... plese can anyone help me i don't know what to do...
Answer
+16
moins plus
Nanor you are the man!! your recommendation worked on a Dell Inspiron 700m as well. Thank you.

Answer
+16
moins plus
This worked for me, Thank you i use

Acer Aspire 5315

So thank you, I really didnt think this would work until i tryed it <3

1 2 3 4 5 Next
This document entitled « Laptop screen blank when switched on » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.