Laptop screen blank when switched on

Solved
FLOWERS - Sep 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM
 SakshiRastogi - Feb 4, 2019 at 01:35 AM
Hello, I log out my laptop as usual . switched the laptop on the next day but the screen would not work also the drive light is not on / flashing .the laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000 Entertainment pc

Thank YOU
Related:

23 responses

I had the same problem with my HP DV6599. On power on the screen would stay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spin up but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVD drive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the tray but still would not boot. I found an answer on another forum. Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked for me! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go. Worked for me so definitely worth a try.

Note from Truvu17 : Just to update everybody on my diagnose. So there are many problems which will cause issues of the screen :
  • 1. Software : Try Fn + F5 or something like that
  • 2. Electrical : Remove battery, unplug power, hold power button for 60 seconds, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart
  • 3. Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid : Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch). Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle
  • 4. Hardware : You need to replace either Inverter, Blacklight, or everything. =)
The unplugging/replugging battery trick works for my HP Pavillion dv9500....but what is it exactly doing? Why does it work? Is this a permanent fix to the problem?

Will an external monitor work?
Just to update everybody on my diagnose:

So there are many problems which will cause issues of the screen.

1. Software
- Try Fn + F5 or something like that

2. Electrical
- Remove battery, unplug power, hold power button for 60 seconds, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

3. Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
- Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch)
- Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle

4. Hardware
- You need to replace either Inverter, Blacklight, or everything. =)

Good luck and have fun!!!