Mass Storage device not working

Closed
Neo23 - Sep 14, 2008 at 08:14 PM
 Jenna - Jul 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM
Hello,
I purchase a portable hard disk which works fine at work with USB 2.0 but at home (USB 1.1) it could not find a driver for it.

I have several key drive (different brands) and 2 external drives which are all OK.

I installed SP3 hoping this will update the driver but now my PC doesn't even pick up the device to try install any driver and it is not listed in MY Computer.

I don't have the internet at home so I couldn't let windows search for a driver.

Any ideas?
Related:

5 responses

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I am having similar problems!
I had this problem and found this forum helpful. I changed USB cables and it fixed the problem, so I can only assume that my other cable was USB v1.1 and not V2.0 compatable.

good luck
platinump2 Posts 10 Registration date Thursday May 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2008 7
Sep 15, 2008 at 05:10 AM
hey dude,

sometimes there are devices which doesnt support usb 1.1 and hence you cant use it on a computer having usb 1.1.

try using it on a usb hub and see what is does?

also tell me dont you have any cd with the portable hard disk when you bought it?
No it didn't come with a CD but it supposedly USB 1.1 compatible.

The PC did recognise the device but couldn't find a driver before I upgrade to XP SP3
Try checking compatability for your hard drive at the following link,
If it is not compatible, then you need to install the driver separately.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Default.aspx

It's for windows vista, but i find that it's almost identical to windows xp.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
There's a new product called i-Mtop that is coming on the market soon. It might help you in the interim while you are getting your external hard drive sorted out.

It's being launched on Friday (31 July) and is only US$10 - and apparently allows you to carry some applications and your desktop settings with you.

Here's a link: www.i-mtop.com

Hope it helps you in the meantime :)