How to install Windows XP on Toshiba laptop?

Solved/Closed
dd - Updated on Jan 29, 2019 at 03:00 AM
 MarkR - Dec 29, 2018 at 07:38 AM
Hello,

In Toshiba Satellite A205-s5859 laptop, I can't change the SATA drive. What shall I do to install Windows XP operating system in my laptop?

Please help!
System Configuration: Windows Vista Internet Explorer 7.0
Related:

20 responses

Hey guys,

I had the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 that came with Vista preinstalled. It crashed constantly so I tried to install XP but as you already know, it would say that it couldn't find a hard drive.

What you have to do is:
  • Power on the Laptop and then press F2 to get into the BIOS menu.
  • Then scroll down to the SATA option
  • Change it from ACHI to Compatibility then exit saving your changes (F10)
  • Reboot your Laptop from the XP Operating System disk.

It will now let you install Windows XP or any other Operating System.

I too have been searching for answers on various sites and forums and none of the suggestions (including downloading XP drivers) worked.

This definitely works (at least for the Toshiba L300 Laptop anway).

Good luck!
With any of these machines,
you don't want to disable ACHI, even if the bios lets you.
Figure out what HDD controller you have.
Download the correct XP sata drivers, most likely from Intel website, and follow their instructions to make the XP floppy disk driver installer.
Connect a USB floppy drive to the machine (you MUST use a floppy, memory sticks will NOT work)
insert windows CD, setup
at the beginning of the install, windows will prompt to press F6 if you need 3rd party storage controller, put the driver disk, in your floppy drive follow instructions.

If you don't have a floppy disk drive, get one, or you'll have to slipstream the driver onto the windows setup CD
EagleForce > gd
Nov 14, 2008 at 04:19 PM
Isnt it possible to make an USB stick become and "A:" drive? So the usb sticks boots (possible) and the drivers from SATA been read from this USB??