Uninstalling linux and installing windows xp

Solved/Closed
muvendrann Posts 5 Registration date Thursday December 10, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 24, 2010 - Jan 18, 2010 at 06:30 AM
 Anon514 - Sep 3, 2013 at 07:19 AM
Hello,
I have desktop consist of 320 gp harddisk installed with only linux

I don't know any thing in linux

Now I need to install windows xp in it

When I try to install windows xp the following error has occured

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer.If this screen appears again,follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer.Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive
controller.check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run chkdsk /F to check for hard drive corruption,and then
restart your computer.

Tachnical information:

*** STOP: 0*0000007B (0*F78D2524,0*c0000034,0*00000000,0*00000000)

please help me to overcome this problem
Related:

5 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 18, 2010 at 06:00 PM
Windows XP can't understand the hard drive formatting from Linux. I suggest you download the free version of "Killdisk" and use it to erase the hard drive. Then you will be able to install Windows.

Good Luck
Hi,

first u intall windows and when u create space drives like c,d,e after that leave some free space after installed windows then start linux installation.

Thanks

Rehan
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM
To summarize

Cause:
As someone had said, the problem occurs because:
Windows (XP, Vista home basic too) don't recognise ext 2 / 3 file system of Linux. So it cannot recognize the hard disk.

Additional information:
As someone also had said, windows 2000 / 2003 can recognize "ext" file system, so you can use that to recognize your hard disk. (Remember ! use something that can recognize "ext" file system is the key point)

Solution:
1. Boot into Linux.
2. Use "fdisk" command to delete "ext" partitions. // In fact, no need to use other tools (e.g. killdisk)
3. Run "fdisk" command as root.
4. For those who don't know how to use "fdisk", I provide an example here. (Read the man page of "fdisk" will be better)

//Remember !!! fdisk can format your hard disk (which will erase all your data), use it with great care -- unless you know what you are doing, otherwise don't use it. (I will not take any responsibility of my suggestion)

i) fdisk /dev/sda
.) For those who use PATA (Parallel IDE) : fdisk /dev/hda
.) For those who use second hard disk : fdisk /dev/sdb (2nd SATA hard disk), fdisk /dev/hdb (2nd PATA hard disk), fdisk /dev/sdc (3rd SATA hard disk) and so on ... {sd [a, b, c, d, ...]}
.) fdisk "what" depends on where your linux partition is.
ii) use "m" to read the available options
iii) press "d"
iv) press the number of the partition you want to delete
v) Remember ! if you don't want to make the change, press "q" at any time. (that means quit without saving)
vi) If you want to make the change, press "w" (that means write the change to hard disk)
5. There may sometimes cause a warning message say something about not synchronize the disk (because you cannot make changes while you are using the partition -- if you are booting the partition now), the change will occur after you shutdown and reboot the system.
6. Okay, you can reboot the system now and you will find that the partition is empty now.
7. You can install XP or what ever now.

** For those who cannot use "fdisk", my simplest suggestion is to re-install Linux if you don't have any other tools (such as killdisk). And then you should be able to use "fdisk". In fedora 8, you can even choose formatting the hard disk in "vfat" file system (which can be recognized by almost all computer include windows xp and so on -- see "File Allocation Table" wiki) during installation. Therefore, no need to run fdisk

OR you can use this method
Here is what I did based on various suggestions here:
1. Use another PC to download "Kill Disk" Windows version from https://www.killdisk.com/eraser.html
The free version is good enough, unless you work for CIA / KGB and need higher security than normal humans.
Install the application on that other PC and now you can create a bootable KillDisk CD. So burn that into a CD.

2. Now go to that cursed PC running Linux and boot from this KillDisk CD you created.
In the menu select KillDisk. You will see your HDD - select it and then press F10.
In the free version you can only use the default "Erases with one-pass zeros" and that is MORE THAN ENOUGH.
Now it will prompt you to type the command to erase the HDD. Type exactly as shown on the menu and press enter.
Voila - Ubuntu or any other damn Linux goes to its grave in under 20 minutes depending upon your system specifications.

3. Menu shows a blank HDD with no formatting or anything else. Exit the KillDisk menu and remove CD. To Nuke the HDD is the confirmed way of destroying Linux OS.

4. Now get the Ubuntu 9.04 boot CD or any other Linux OS - I used Ubuntu 9.04 which was installed and nuked.
So boot from this Ubuntu 9.04 and go to Live CD

5. Now use:
System -> Administration -> Partition Editor -> GParted -> Partition -> New NTFS or FAT 32
I chose FAT 32 to be on the safe side
Now "Apply" those changes in GParted menu button.
Make sure you have formatted the entire HDD with FAT32 - a single partition. This must be your primary.

6. Now exit Ubuntu Live CD and eject its boot CD

7. OK, now your WinXP CD is almost ready to install on the PC with a blank HDD.

8. Insert the WinXP CD and boot - press F2 to go to the BIOS Settings.

9. In BIOS Settings change HDD from AHCI to IDE.
It has to be IDE or your WinXP CD will cry and die a sudden death

10. Now press F10 to save and exit and continue boot from CD

11. WinXP menu comes, click away - see the blank FAT32 HDD - select your choice of partition - maintain FAT 32 or use NTFS.
I spent the time and made it into NTFS during installation.

12. Then follow the menu options and you are done.

** But I still recommend "fdisk" because you can use it with live cd. No need to wait for the re-installation process, just boot into a working linux or with live cd if available, and run "fdisk".
Yes! please Help! I have a same Problem! I dont know what I nee dto do! :(

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I've had a similar problem. I was originally running Linux Mint 15 XFCE and I had partitions a free space yet I was getting that blue screen error straight after the installation said starting windows, this problem was fixed when I changed the driver settings to IDE instead of Auto.