Setting up my own DNS Server

Solved/Closed
CranialSurge - Sep 16, 2008 at 04:37 PM
 Hasan - Aug 25, 2013 at 06:40 AM
Hi,

I have my own registered domain. I want to set up my own DNS server and host a website completely independent of any third party hosting service. I have Windows Server 2003 and have installed the DNS role and configured it with a single forward zone (I am new to this terminology and am not sure if I am using it correctly). Lets say my domain is xyz.com I have the DNS role set up for xyz.com as the domain with a forward lookup zone. Also, I have reserved an internal IP to my server using the router's DHCP reservation list. So I basically have a static IP for my server on the internal network. How do I go about setting up this infrastructure so that I can have my own DNS set up and host my website ?
Related:

20 responses

Hi My name is David., I'd here you what to fine out how to setup DNS on your home Network., The very first thing that you do is setup your Router here are the steps to take.

step 1. Contact your ISP
step 2. And ack for and Static IP Block on your Network you will need at least two Computer 4 is Ideal.
step 3. the Subnet must be change tp /29 for for 2 computer or /30 for 6 computers.
step 4 One of the static IP's must be your Router., There For if you have and /30 Subnet you can only have 5 Computers.

know setting up your Router (The Router is your Gatway)

Step 1. go in your Rounter Config. page to setup
step 2. the first thing you do is Disable DHCP service
step 3. disable NAT
step 4. disable your Routers Fire wall
step 5. Turn on DMZ port but not nesuary
step 6. reboot your

Know seting up your Modem

step 1. go in your Modem Config. page to setup
step 2. Disable DHCP service
step 3.Disable NAT
step 4 Disable The Fire Wall
step 5. Turn on IP Bridging
step 6. Reboot Modem

Know on your Computers to setup your Fire wall.

Step 1. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
Step 2. Click the Advanced Settings tab, click the Exceptions tab, and then click Add Port.
Step 3. In the Port Number dialog box, type 2725, and then click TCP.
Step 4. Type a name for the port, such as Analysis Services1, and then click OK.
Step 5. Click Add Port
Step 6. In the Port Number dialog box, type 2393, and then click TCP.
Step 7. Type a name for the port, such as Analysis Service2, and then click OK.
Step 8. Click Add Port
Step 9. In the Port Number dialog box, type 2394, and then click TCP.
Step 10.Type a name for the port, such as Analysis Services3, and then click OK.
Step 11. Click the Exceptions tab, and then click to select the check box that is next to each new service.
Step 12. Click OK
Step 13. On each one of your Computers add Ports HTTP Port is 80, Port 21 FTP server, DNS Port 53

Know you should make your Web Server your Localhost ( note Pad )

Step 1. Create a Host file
Step 2. click start at the bottom of the Desktop
Step 3. Click Run
Step 4. Type This Path c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host
Step 5. and Click on
Step 6. Know you will see a Host File scoll down to the Bottom of the last Line and put your hit Enter on your Keyboard
Step 7. Type the IP address of your Host Computer then your Domain.com
Step 8 Like this 69.196.159.XXX goole.com and hit Enter
Step 9. IP and www. and hit Enter
Step 10 Like this 69.196.159.XXX www.google.com
Step 11 if you want to at and FTP or DNS keep adding lines the same way
Step 12. and Save

Know to Step up your Domain

Step 1. you should Transfer it to Godaddy so you can Manage it
Step 2. with and Godaddy Account setup
Step 3. Goto Manage Domain
Step 4. With Manage Domain Open at the top of the page you will see Custom Name Servers
Step 5. Enter your IP Address of your DNS servers and point to them
step 6. and log out
step alow beween 30 to 78 Hours for the changes to take

You must reboot your Modem, Router, and all Computers

Note you must have Active Directory Intergreated installed on your network

let me know how it worked out.
Hi David,

You guide is very impressive thank you. I am trying to setup VPN on my Windows 2003 server and I have my own domain lets say www.xyz.com. I am new to this network stuff or I have very minimum experience. I want my windows 2003 server called abc should become abc.xyz.com so that I can access this abc windows 2003 server from anywhere.

Thank you

Sri
go to analogx.com and download free www hosting, no need of all that
newbiehoster > yo
Jan 28, 2009 at 05:21 PM
hi there .. not sure about the website and where to get that www hosting thingy

thanks
hi there,
can you able to help me to setup web server, I have a register domain from godaddy (for example www.acb.com), I didnt purchase the storage from them, I want to build own storage server, can you able to help??
Hi david,
your info for own dns server is useful.
i'm going on mcse on 2003 server
can you pls explain if use domain registrar dns server,how can configure it to my intranet dns server.
i'm confused about intranet dns server & internet domain register dns server.

thanks
deb
Taking matters into your own hands and handling your own DNS is not complicated at all. It is pretty easy, but you need to follow through the seemingly "difficult" steps... which are actually easier than setting up the DNS server itself.

Okay, so you installed your own DNS server. This DNS serves requests from outside, and now you're ready to hand out public IPs that correspond to the PCs that you're sharing with he world. And you have two (2) of these nameservers - named NS1.yourdomain.com, and NS2.yourdomain.com. Right? (one of them is actually for backup; all of the more serious ISPs require you to have two NSs).

So here's what's left to do:

So in order to take this DNS business out of your ISP's hands, you need to call and tell your ISP to forward the requests for your domain to your NS1 and NS2 servers. You will need to give them the IP addresses of your 2 NSs, so have them ready before you call. (When you do call, make sure to ask for and talk to a network engineer - they'll do this on the spot). This is done free of charge by most ISPs, as they are more than happy to not have to manage your DNS records.

That's it.

Once they're done, your NS1 and NS2 will be published and cached on the internet's root servers (it'll take about 48 hours to propagate your NS1 and NS2 names to the majority of them, but expect functionality at least in the US within several hours).

So now, whenever someone searches for your website, will be forwarded by the internet root nameservers to your ISP, who will in turn redirect the request to your own NS1 or NS2 DNS servers, which in turn will respond however you want them to.

Lots of words for a simple thing.

Cheers.
Setting up a home web server is simple. If you do it though, check and make sure that your ISP allows you to do so. Here is my recommendation to begin:

1. Register your domain name with godaddy.com, register.com or whomever you choose (ie.www.xyz.com)

2. Determine whether you will have a public dynamic IP address (will change constantly) or a static ip address (usually have to pay for this from your ISP)

3. DNS Setup
a. If you are using a public dynamic IP address (which I am sure you are in this case), then set up a dynamic dns free account (go here - https://account.dyn.com/ You will need to set up a username and password, which you will later use on the DynDNS Updater you will need to install on your Windows web server. Create the zone for your domain (ie. xyz.com is a zone you create).

b. If you are using a static IP address, then make sure the name servers are 'Parked' with your domain provider, then set up a forward to the public static IP address of your home network (from here, you just set up port forwarding in your router/gateway to your web server and you should be done)

4. Web Server Configuration
I. set up a 'static' ip address on your network card which will manage the incoming connections. Make sure that IIS is listening for requests through this IP address via IIS Manager.

II. If you are going to use the dynamic dns configuration for DNS, then download the DynDNS Updater app to your windows server and it will manage the connection between your web server dns and dynamic dns servers (this is cool and easy)

III. Set up a test index.html in IIS Manager for your 'Default Site'. Open a web browser and open 'http://localhost' to make sure you can access the site.

IV. Make sure your Windows firewall allows traffic through port 80.

5. Router / Gateway Configuration - go to 'Port Forwarding', and forward all requests via port '80' to the static ip address of your webserver (ie. Allow Incoming Port '80' to 192.168.x.x')

6. From your web server, Go to 'http://www.whatismyip.com and see what your public ip address is.

7. Once your IIS is set up, your port forwarding has been configured, and dynamic dns is updated, ping the domain you registered 'ie. www.xyz.com' and see if it matches the IP address of your web server public ip.

8. From outside your local area network, try to access your domain 'http://www.xyz.com'. If success, then you are good to go. If no success, review all these steps again.

I hope this helps.

Chris Perez
programmer, wannabe network girl
Feb 10, 2010 at 05:04 PM
I had to reply.

I just wanted to say thank you!

You are awesome!

I have been reading every book about networking trying to figure this out.

Thankfully, I have learned a lot, but your post has finally put it all together!

Also, thanks for being nice even though ur smart ;-)
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Dec 3, 2008 at 03:29 PM
make your static IP be forwarded from your router to the DNS hosting PC, create router's DNS and web server exceptions, start DNS and Web services

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I am not sure if you have checked in to getting a static ip address? usually for a little extra your isp will provide one.
how to configure dns server in windows 2003
Dear Friend check this site.

I hope it will resolve all your queries.

http://www.windowsreference.com/dns/step-by-step-guide-for-windows-server-2003-domain-controller-and-dns-server-setup/
Hello,
Can someone give me an instructions in how to configured my webserver. In my case, I built my webserver (i.e. server1 and server2) server2 where I setup my webserver and I was able to access my website via local intranet access. Now I wanted to access my website via publicly internet and I don't know how to configure that part. I did signed-up for domain at godaddy.com however I don't know which ipaddress do I set to my godaddy.com account.

Any help would be appreciated........
Shey,

if your webserver works internally, you are almost there. most servers are set to port 80, so sign in to your router via 192.168.1.1 and go to port forwarding section and forward port 80 to your internal server ip, something like 192.168.1.106.

then all incoming web requests to your external IP address that you are getting dynamically from your ISP will forward to your webserver.

go to one of the many webpages that show your ip address to find your external ip. now since it changes what people do is get a free account from no-ip.com which gives you a usable domain name and forwards to your external ip. they also give you a file that you install that checks and updates your dynamic ip when it changes,

thats it Shey
Hi Norm,

Thanks for your advice on setting up the web server. I have the same problem internal web server works but i'm not able to access the web server from internet. Can you please advice in details how to set-up.

I have wireless router and win 2003
o the days it sounds so many on this forum have become so lazy with wizards and gui's and not even really understanding how things on the internet works. TSkkkk. Tskkkk. Tsskkkk. A sad day it is. Let me guess, everyone here has their MSCE? WOW.

I can take one machine that nothing but an internet connection (with 1 other blank mahcine and in 2 hours) have a hypervisor running on it with two static IP addresses and glue records from the domain registrar I purchased my name.com from. You then download the Linux flavor of your choice (ISO FILE) burn it to disk and can install to DNS servers sitting out in the public and fully secure.

You guys make it sound so hard. If it wasn't late I would right you a tutorial on how to do this with linux, lock the box in a closet and forget its their until you are cleaning it out 5 years later. Why spend money on hosting fees? You can run 4 Linux machines *web server, 2 DNS Servers, 1 Email Server, on a Pentium 4 with 4 gigs of RAM. I can do all this under 3 days. You guys make me laugh. Honestly?

Did your MSCE's Teach you anything else except what buttons to press in the wizards? Good lord. It sounds like a couple guys are really interested in getting their own name server's, and you guys take them down with your own laziness and ignorance because 'you just don't know how'. C'Mon. BTW - NOBODY running in a real server farm, or hosting center is running Windows DNS Service.

They all run linux with their DNS Servers, its so easy you would laugh. THey run 20 machines on a ZENON processor hypervisor with a limit of 500 MG transfer, and SSH access, and get the lazy guys to pay 50-100 bucks a month paying for their servers, then their Mortgages. The laziness displayed in this forum by some really has me wondering were our race is headed.

If anyone wants help putting up a reall, and secure, LINUX DNS server, which was around decades tried and tested before any MS Server, send me a hollor. All the rest, don't be a hater just cause you ignant...
idsinc > Hueoogle
Jan 21, 2010 at 01:11 PM
Hueoogle you are the one I want to talk to.

I built my computer 3 years ago, and I have just built my first server. I'm running everything out of my house, and currently have a regular phone line with DSL. I plan on getting a second line put in (static IP) here shortly, for the server. I do own my own name.com, and my server OS is CentOS 5.3. I need to have an internet connection in order to install this OS though...

Hardware basic:
MOBO has 2 quadcore xeons
SCSI primary drive
onboard Ethernet
8G FB-DIMM

Is there a way to do this internally, prior to getting my dedicated line, so I can test the server from my PC?

Just wondering.
meganjo > idsinc
Jan 28, 2010 at 06:32 AM
Thanx for sharing
http://www.lowcostserverhosting.com
http://adminreports.com/adding-a-ip-mx-records-to-a-windows-dns-zone/
use zoneedit as a free DNS service... setting up your own is complicated... You'll have to find an online tutorial or get a book...
New Query :
Can anyone infor me if we can OWN an Static IP address ?
I am not an ISP...........
I have my own web application...and I need to have control n IP address
Yes -- you can have your own IP address -- although it depens on your ISP - contact them and tell them that you want to purchase a static IP address - most companys such as Sprint, AT&T will allow you to purchase a static IP address. -- hope this helps.
i woul really know how to do this......
Dont open up a DMZ, port forward 53 for DNS to the DNS server IP. This way only that port is open to the public.........
Neelesh Gothania
Jun 9, 2010 at 06:47 AM
Some body answer this question
link is here
http://ccm.net/...

help me out
i have a LAN connection and I want to be mange to one centralizes system management so what can I do for this
I am kind of confused if I have a static IP or not.

In my router, the IP is set and will not be changed
But when I go to www.whatismyip.com I get different results at different times and they are not the IP set in my router.

So do I have a static IP?
Thanks.
What is the IP address in your router, and what is the IP address you are getting when you go to 'whatismyip.com'?
Hi Gino,

You likely do not have a static IP.

Your machine has two unique IP addresses. The primary IP address is given to you from your Internet Service Provider, which is what you see when you go to the whatismyip.com website. Since yours is changing, you do not have a static IP.

You are likely on a home network as well; you may have a router and multiple machines on your home network. This is where the second IP address comes in. This is your local IP address that is used to identify your specific machine on your home network. This means nothing to people outside of your network, and on the internet in general.
Gino,

im guessing here, but it sounds like you are confusing your internal ip with the external one. whatsmyip is only Tgoing to return the external IP and if its always changing its probably dynamic not static. it all depends on your router and ISP contract.

hope this helps.
nikhil > bill
Feb 19, 2010 at 05:54 AM
Hello Sir,

I m Nikhil working as software engineer. I need a help regarding with -

I have installed Window server 2003(SP 1). I want do setup like

1. Create email server for sending(SMTP) and recieving emails(IMAP4).

I don't want to use internet. I just want to use OS server 2003 would create domain and then configure email server in such way that I(User) would send email to my self and recieve that email too in client outlook.

Is it possible to do(dummy) in same machine(server 2003) wihtout using internet.

Please help.

Thanks a lot !!!!
Dmeigs > nikhil
Feb 19, 2010 at 04:10 PM
Hi all you have to do is setup and gmail acount your domin name .com@gmail.com

Let me know how this works out for you
Hello , plz need help ....

i have my domain www. 12345 . com
i installed IIS 6 and made default web site
my public router static ip starts with 213...........
my server static ip starts with 62..........i have a block of 8 ips so to let you know

now I created a dns server , named ns1 ....
ns1 ... what ip should it use to take dns requests ? public router ip ? or server static private ip ?
when I create a hostA entry in forward zone what ip do I enter there ? my pc private ip ? my router public ip ?

hostA name = website ?

so that gives me ns1.website.com ?

at the domain's nameserver menu I enter my ns1.website.com but what ip to I enter there ? pc static ? router ip ?
i also from my router menu have on my pc port 80 and 21 open
when I do nslookup I get dsllan and my pc's primary dns adress.................
thank you for your help
u should considerer finding an easier solution.... setting ur own is complicated
Hi,for your DNS query use this http://www.whoisxy.com/ site ,here DNS query available at free of cost,visit here for more details.
I have the same things I have the domain but im not sure how to set it up.

It's supposed to replace your internet ip but go-daddy didnt ask for that.
I have a domain registered in go-daddy.com And my web server is hosted in our office and we have 2 isp, If 1 ip fails my web server should work with other isp, I need some help in making this configuration..

For ex: 123.com is my domain.com if any body tries to access 123.com it should be accessible even though my 1 isp is down..

Pls give me some hints and procedures , I am stuck here.