HELP I have uninstalled my CD/DVD-ROM driver!

Solved/Closed
jacko468 Posts 4 Registration date Sunday September 21, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2008 - Sep 21, 2008 at 09:40 PM
 Lindz - Dec 20, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Hey guys OMG please help me out. I would really rather not see a tech if it is possible but if I have to, I guess I have to. Okay well vista is very lame and seems to be all honkey dorey in the beginning and horrible within the year. anyway, I have a HP pavillion dv2000, vista premium, and I have uninstalled the driver, does anyone know how I can fix it? I dont know how to take my driver out so that's not an option, i'm really hoping there's some software I could use to fix it?

thanks in advance guys!
Related:

35 responses

with DVD/CD-ROM drives in Windows XP or Vista

I was fixing a computer the other day and ran across the following error in Device Manager on the CD-ROM drive.

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Because of this error, the drive did not show up in My Computer and the customer was unable to burn CDs or read any CDs.

I uninstalled the drive from Device Manager, rebooted the computer, and the problem remained, so obviously it appeared to be a registry issue that I would have to solve. If you are receiving this Code 39 error and your CD or DVD drive is missing and has a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, I hope this information is useful.

To solve this Code 39 error, follow these instructions:

NOTE: After removing these registry keys and rebooting, it may be necessary to reinstall any CD or DVD recording applications.

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot
your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone
Wow!, I used to build my compuers in the 90's and was alway's very nervous about working in the regestry. Your fix was naot only perfect but easy for an old timmer. Thank you so much! fore taking the time to help me figure out my problem and save money at the saame time...Coool........Dale
thank you matt for your straight forward instructons, even a pc illiterate like me could do it. And it worked !!!!!!!!

Thanks you so much, you are a life saving.