Acer lap top - no operating system found

Closed
granma - Jan 31, 2010 at 06:51 AM
 Ray-Ray - Apr 9, 2010 at 09:12 AM
Hello,

My son in law has an acer aspire (I think). His operating system is not found. He bough a box to link the hard drive to my laptop but it did not work. He got a message asking if he wanted to format. He has not backed up the hard drive and therefore has all his family photos, job applications etc etc etc that he really needs to get.

Any suggestions please?
Related:

4 responses

Computercrazy123
Jan 31, 2010 at 07:59 AM
If there are important things on that hard drive - don't formatt! I had this error on my old Texas Instrumants laptop - untill I smashed it to bits with a hammer... but that's beside the point! :) I believe it [Operating System is not found] means the hard drive is not recognized. You can check in BIOS (it should prompt you to enter bios/setup when you first turn it on - like hit f12 or something). There it will tell you if it has a hard drive and much more. The hard drive may be dead. I'd take it to a computer pro. If it's dead, they'll probably charge you about a thousand dollars to remove your important data (happened to me). But don't throw it out - keep looking. Always, Always, ALWAYS back up!!!
if you can, boot to an OEM windows vista disc and go to repair my computer on the 1st or 2nd page at the bottom of the setup. Once it opens, open command ling and change directories to C: and type 'FIXBOOT' and press enter. also try 'fixmbr' and enter. then reboot and remove the CD and enter setup, F2 i believe on that laptop and make sure the hdd is set to boot first or after the disc drive.

After a reboot it should work normally. I've had the same issue numerous times and that solved it. Also i've had the same thing, but it wouldn't let me change to the C: directory. So i needed to fully recovery it by holding 'Alt' and pressing 'F10' on startup. Note this will loose all your data tho.

Thx.
Blocked Profile
Feb 1, 2010 at 03:28 AM
Dear Granma,

Please indicate clearly what you mean by the operating system is not found. Please explain clearly what's the problem so that we can understand it and provide you any help.

Thank you.
hello my name is vítor reis i can tell ya that Linux mint works lovely in the same laptop and if you have any problems try superubuntu that is the best os i cold get for my laptop.
realy all ya have to do is folow the instructions.

Your email address has been removed for your own security.