Data transfer from old laptop with USB 1.0

Solved/Closed
PatrickC - Feb 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM
 PatrickC - Feb 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM
Hello,

I have several old laptop with a single USB 1.0 port each. I need to get some old files off but when I plug in a variety of USB 2.0 storage devices (e.g., PNY Attache, Scandisk, Memorex Mini, etc.) the old laptops asks for a driver. Since the laptops no longer have the ability to go on line and I have no ability to get an updated driver to the old laptops (has anyone seen my dust-covered 3-1/2" my floppy drive?), can I simply connect the old laptops with a USB-to-USB cable to my my Windows XP (but floppy diskless) modern PC and move data that way? Will my PC "see" the old laptops as "drives"?

Many thanks

Patrick
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 1, 2010 at 03:49 PM
Well it's also going to ask for a driver for the USB transfer cable. You could buy a external USB interface that plugs directly into the laptop hard drive. You remove the hard drive and simply plug the adapter directly into the 2.5 inch hard drive. Then connect the USB line to your new computer. I have seen them sell for less than $20 US. For a bit more you can get a full enclosure that converts the drive into an external USB drive.

Good Luck
Thanks!