No dekstop icons, no start menu, no r-click.

Solved/Closed
Dip - Sep 27, 2008 at 12:58 AM
 BigMoki - Jul 19, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Hello,

Just after I removed window XP security update by mistake, computer restarted and found no dekstop and Start menu icons and also right & left clicks do not work now. I tried explorer.exe & iexplorer.exe in New Task(run) but does not work i.e. no action & also tried rstrui.exe but show no paths/error. Even I tried to delete followings as per expert advice : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe but I have not found last route i.e. explorer.exe & iexplorer.exe. My computer is Compaq HP window xp professional , Ram-256, 80GB. IE upgrader to 7 from 6. Last I updated window XP service Pack3. Please suggest me some valuable solutions.

Thanks.

PR
Related:

8 responses

first, run task manager---alt ctrl del, then in file click new task, then open C:\WINDOWS\explorer.scf once you open it .... the toolbars and icons will appear.....

i hope this helps
THIS WORKED for ME _ thanks so much
thanks dude .......this worked!!.............................
I am not able to see any of my icons, start up menu, or programs. I am however able to run programs if I push alt+ctrl+del. Can someone help me? how can get back the my icons, start up menu, or programs

Thanks & Regards

Mohan Singh
ho.....man thanks,thank you very much iam fed with this problem since 2 weeks
you helped me like god once again thank you very much
You are the *F*ing man! I thought all was lost. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING SMART!!!
Hello, I have no icons, no right or left click, and I cant click control alt delete, does anyone know how I can fix this?
Hello,

Just after I removed window XP security update by mistake, computer restarted and found no dekstop and Start menu icons and also right & left clicks do not work now. I tried explorer.exe & iexplorer.exe in New Task(run) but does not work i.e. no action & also tried rstrui.exe but show no paths/error. Even I tried to delete followings as per expert advice : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe but I have not found last route i.e. explorer.exe & iexplorer.exe. My computer is Compaq HP window xp professional , Ram-256, 80GB. IE upgrader to 7 from 6. Last I updated window XP service Pack3. Please suggest me some valuable solutions.
I love Jesus:)
Aug 10, 2009 at 09:45 PM
Okay, I basically had the same problem with my computer...downloaded the latest explorer and lost my icons and start menu...but here's a very simple way to do it which I believe was heaven sent :D

Fistly, press ctrl+alt+delete
to open the Task manager but instead of tryping anything, go to your top right corner where it says HELP, select 'Task manager Help Topics', and go to the top right where its says OPTIONS select HOME and you'll find where it says Help and Support, click on that and where it says PICK A TASK select

Undo changes to your computer with System Restore and just simply restore your PC to b4 you encountered the problem, hope this helps!
Tried the system Restore 6 diff times, diff points. all said cannot restore.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i experience this problem and explorer.exe didnt exist on C:\WINDOWS (only explorer.scf & explorermgr.exe

and I tried this:

1. start menu disappear
2. CTRL+ALT+DEL
3. Click New Task
4. Type C:\Windows
5. Browse
6. rename explorermgr.exe into explorer.exe
7. Rename (again) explorer.exe into explorermgr.exe
8. Suddenly there is explorermgr.exe & explorer.exe!!!
9. Click Explorer.exe
10. Start menu Reappear

Hope This Helps...
NosaAlonso
Hi all
Just had the same problem on a pc that I was working on.
After lots of trying different things, I found it was Regcure. So, if you have that installed on your comp there is a good chance it could be that.
I opened Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Del), New Task, then Browse. At the bottom it had 'Programs'. I changed that to 'All files' and browsed to Program Files/Regcure and opened the prog from there. Once opened click the 'Backup' icon on the left and find a date on or just before the problem started and restore the registry to then. Restart the pc and hopefully you'll be back up and running.......it worked for me at least!
Hope that was some help to some of you.
Lee.
Ok I had to deal with this today. I copied from a working PC the explorer.exe file from C:\Windows, I then imported it by way of flash drive to the other PC using taskmanager\new task\run\cmd.exe. Changed directory to verify new explorer.exe was present, and copied over corrupt explorer.exe. (Backed it up first of course) After importing the new file, the reg hack you have listed above worked flawlessly. Just had to reboot after, then pull off about a million trojans. Gotta go old school CMD prompt sometimes!
the message that jayson said worked great for my computer....look at that post. and follow it exactly....

thanks jayson. and to think HP was trying to charge me for this information....
Crassus814 > Marcia
Apr 12, 2009 at 09:32 AM
Ctrl+Alt+Del and new task then type "start menu"
this worked - thank you and I trust that others may find this link as the solution to their problems
thanks again man
I use the following to get back my icons and start/programs
ran MALWAREBYTES then at "command prompt" type the following
attrib -s -h c:\*.* /s /d
if you have more drives just replace the "c" for your drive
good luck!
Could yu be more clear on what u are saying to do? Only basic computer literate here.
My Icons, "start programs" and folders on drive c:\ was missing
the way to me to get everything back was.. the following
at "command prompt" type the following
attrib -s -h c:\*.* /s /d
then got everything back
hope this help you