Second hard drive not recognized

Solved/Closed
Sabrina - Updated on Mar 5, 2018 at 01:25 PM
 ET - Feb 28, 2019 at 11:23 AM
Hello,

I had a hard drive failure and bought a new Segate SATA Internal Hard Drive. As you can see it works fine. But I cannot get my second Western Digitial EIDE Hard Drive recognized. It has no oeprating system just ALL my personal files and stuff. I have tried every configuration I can think of with no luck. Any help greatelt appreciated!!

Thanks!
Related:

6 responses

go to start > control panel (switch to Classic View) > administrative tools

> computer management > storage : disk management

your second disk will show, but not active(initialized)

need to make active by right clicking on window that represents then drive
then make active partition(drive)
select to create partition (if applicable)
select format (if applicable)

wait and drive will change status to "healthy" at top windows and your drive/data will now be accessible and visible in 'My Computer'

Sorted!
Some people will say you are wrong but that is not the case. I put an old 80 gig drive in a computer with xp service pack 1 on a 100 gig drive that has been in service for 6 years. It is partitioned into 3 partitions and has worked perfectly. But it refused !! to recognize the 80 gig drive.

The 80 gig drive IS recognized in the bios. It already had a copy of xp service pack 2 on it, I was putting it in for backup of the original drive. I booted from the 80 gig drive. It recognized the original drive, but of course did not have all the setup for programs on it. I tried different configurations with the old drive but the only way it would recognize the 80 gig drive was when I plugged it into a USB dongle and mounted it as an external drive. I did not try it on the secondary IDE channel, only the primary. But I did try it as both master and slave, no difference. The original drive with the older XP version refused to recognize the second physical drive!

The problem has to be with my version of XP. I don't know why, and I haven't put in a lot of time to try to figure it out because I only needed the drive for backup. The system may be a bit convoluted but I can use it for that. If I find an answer in the near future I will post it here.
Same problem > Same problem
Nov 11, 2008 at 01:39 AM
Alright, this sparked my curiosity and I did some digging....
And it makes me feel really dumb!!!!!

When XP is installed with one hard drive, apparently the default is to not expect a second drive to be added!

The fix is to go to Control Panel; System; Hardware; Device Manager; IDE ATAPI controllers; Primary channel, properties; Advanced Settings; and make sure the Device 1 device type is set to Auto instead of None....

Reboot windows and it will recognize the second drive!