NVidia GeForce MX 440 AGP Wont Let PC Boot!

Solved/Closed
Mirage - Feb 16, 2010 at 02:54 PM
 Mirage - Feb 17, 2010 at 03:34 PM
Hello,
I install a 64mb nVidia GeForce MX 440 with AGP video card on a gateway comp, with phoenix bios, and now the PC wont go past the gateway screen - it will pass it and go black.
It will not boot whatsoever.
Whoever has this card or had a message when they installed a new video card and the bios said something (i didnt get to look at it), what did they do to make the bios configure correctly to it
By the way, my bios is Phoenix, the one with a blue screen with tabs on the top.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 16, 2010 at 04:09 PM
Did you have another video card installed? The instructions say that you should remove the video drivers for the old card before installing the new card. That's because the new card must use the standard Windows VGA driver before you install the new cards custom drivers.

Good Luck
Yes, it was a built in Intel video card that was of no use due to no acceleration. So you are saying I need to take off the card and load Windows with the default video (Intel), remove its drivers, then use the nVidia?

Thank You for your reply - I usually dont use forums, I've seen people respond like 3 months after the post was made. TYVM! =)
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 17, 2010 at 03:02 PM
I think you should uninstall the Intel video driver. That will force Windows to use its "standard vga adapter" driver. You can boot into "safe mode" by pressing F8 when you see the Windows Logo screen. If you have trouble getting into safe mode you can interrupt the booting by turning off the power and restart. It should then ask you what type of boot you want.

Go to Start - control panel - Device Manager - display adapters - double click your adapter - select driver tab and then click on uninstall.

Re-install the video card and when you reboot it should use the standard vga driver. At that point you should install the nVidia driver.

Good luck
Yeah, thanks. I experimentally took out a RAM chip and it went through - (by the way, i couldnt have uninstalled the previous drivers because even with the default video, it wouldnt appear - the light would blink). I later replaced the RAM and it worked. Thank you.