HOW TO ERASE HARD DRIVE

Closed
hglkdglk - Feb 19, 2010 at 04:02 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 19, 2010 at 05:07 PM
Hello,
how do i erase my hard drive if start doesnt work and none of the icons are on my desktop on my windows xp. if i click on anythig in start/all programs it wont take me to what i clicked on
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Feb 19, 2010 at 05:07 PM
Hello,

As far as I am concerned, your question is inhabitual. Why would one want to erase his/her hard drive?

You may have a virus and perhaps that the errors on your system can be corrected. I and other members on this forum, full of resources, would be happy to help you.

However, if you insist on erasing (reformatting) your hard drive, here is how:

1.To format a hard drive with Windows XP or 2000, insert Windows CD and restart your computer.

2.Your computer should automatically boot from the CD to the Windows Setup Main Menu.

3.At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.

4.Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

5.If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.

6.Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition.

7.Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

8.Select the format option that you want to use for the partition (Recommended: NTFS), and then press ENTER.

9.After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue installing Windows.

Best regards