Connected to wifi, but can't browse

Solved/Closed
Oni - Updated on Jun 16, 2017 at 02:22 AM
 Jvc - Nov 1, 2019 at 04:18 PM
Hello,
I have an acer aspire one notebook bought in Norway, Oslo. It operates on Linux software. My problem is that it connects to the wireless at my university and picks up signal powerfully, its just that when I'm connected I cannot browse the internet. My browser is firefox and I am clueless on what could be the problem. Strangely it connects and browses when I connect to lan in the library. Hope that you can help me. Thank you
Related:

11 responses

I tried all the recommendations given here but not one worked ;(. Finally I tried uninstalling the network adapter and BEHOLD.. It worked! To do this you have to:
  • 1) Open Control Panel.
  • 2) Open "System".
  • 3) Open "Hardware".
  • 4) Open "Device Manager"
  • 5) Open "+ Networks Adapters".
  • 6) Right Click on "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter".
  • 7) Click "uninstall".
  • 8) Reboot your system, and the computer will reinstall the device as a new hardware found.

Hope this will help. It took me a while to figure it out.

Good luck.
Lots of good advice here - thanks!

One other slight issue - my Acer Netbook (running XP) can connect ok to my wireless access point if and only if I am using WEP as my encryption. I would really like to use WPA2 with AES, but it doesn't seem to be supported on the system. My other, regular laptops can connect using WPA2 with no problems.

Any ideas?
To Brian...

Thank you, thank you,thank you...

I was going mad with my Aspire One. I tried everything and nothing worked. Now I can browse again...Thank you again!!!