Skype works, can't browse web pages

Solved/Closed
mjleht - Oct 1, 2008 at 11:40 PM
farhan1666 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 15, 2013 - Dec 15, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a LAN connection to connect to Internet (RJ-45 cable coming from the wall :) ) and I've received a quick guide to set things up on Windows 98. However, I'm running Vista Home Premium and I think they look a bit different. So here's a translation of that guide (original in Finnish):

IP address: 192.168.X.XX
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS server: XXX.XXX.14.134
Host: type anything

So this is the guide and I'm a bit puzzled with it, to say the least. The thing is that I can use Skype with ease but when I try to browse web pages, it just don't let me do it. Could this be about dns or something? I've tried pinging both www.yahoo.com and 66.94.230.33 (yahoo's IP address) and when pinging the .com it just says "unknown host".

Could someone be so kind as to assist me? I'm currently on an internship abroad and I'd really love to know what's going on in Finland when I don't have access to my computer at work.

Thanks!
Related:

4 responses

My solution was

1. Open Network and Dial-up Connections
2. Right Click on connection and select 'Properties'
3. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
4. Click 'Properties'
5. Click on 'Advanced'
6. select Tab DNS
7. add route DNS IP (192.168.X.X)

Save it.
just tried this and it worked a treat!

thanks
You are a genius!!! You saved my money and life!!! thank you!!!!
oh my days. you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, is it 192.168 for everyone, regardless of the country you are connecting from?
Also, why X.X ? Do you mean the letter X itself or should it be substituted by the two digits in the gateway number?
In my case, a after the .168. I have 1 and 2 digits for IP address and 1 and 3 digits for gateway.
and thanks for the post
vanniva Posts 11 Registration date Monday April 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2009 2
Oct 2, 2008 at 04:51 AM
hello,

have you tried connecting your internet service provider?

this error could be coming from them because if you are unable to browse web pages then could be a wrong dns address which is assigned
Hi Vanniva,

Thanks for mentioning that. It actually worked - I was given a wrong dns address, but now everything's running smoothly.

Thanks!
c_k923zzz Posts 2 Registration date Friday April 10, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 13, 2009
Apr 13, 2009 at 05:58 PM
Same thing happened with my Magicjack, so I called up the service provider of DSL and gave them a piece of my mind and now I'm doing just fine, you see some of these service providers are in cahoots with the telephone comapnies and giving you a BAD SERVICE. I use to have vonage 2 years ago it drove me nuts. But not every answer works although it worked for you. I don't have any connection problem for now but I tried it just for kicks it didn't work because some service provider I believe has an invisible server that monitors activities I hate the service of DSL here in the Philippines, service providers here are spying on you and gave you bad service, and the funny part is that NTC complaints has fallen on deaf ears.
pleass I need your helpe I cannot open my skype