Unable to access files from 2nd hard drive

Solved/Closed
mamagistri Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday March 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 3, 2010 - Updated on Jan 31, 2019 at 03:33 PM
 SSd - Dec 28, 2018 at 06:50 PM
Hello,

My friend’s computer only shows a blue screen with a "?" (question) mark when she boots it up. I took her hard drive (Western Digital SATA 250 g) out and installed it as a (slave) 2nd drive on my computer to see if I could get her photos and important docs.

I started my PC and then went into the BIOS. I can see both hard drives but when I start my pc, it only loads my Windows XP.

I then go into “My Computer” and I can see all the files on the 2nd drive but I am unable to access Windows from that hard drive. I can’t open the main file on the drive because it is password protected. I get the message “F:\Documents and Settings\MOM is not accessible. Access is denied”.

I tried to access the drive directly by making it the first drive at boot up but all I get is a blue screen (which is why I have her hard drive in the first place).

Does anyone know how I can get into that folder ‘MOM’?

I know what the password is but I don’t know how to get into it. All I want to do is get the pictures and important docs off it and then I am going to wipe it out and start over.

I did a virus scan and a malware check. It found over 70 viruses that have been removed/quarantined. Both hard drives (the 1st and 2nd) have Windows XP Pro.

Please let me know if you need further information or if I wasn’t clear on anything!

Thanks in advance!
System Configuration: Windows XP / Internet Explorer 8.0
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Updated on Jan 31, 2019 at 03:37 PM
Hi,

You can try this procedure!
  • In Explorer, right-click the drive in Question and select Properties
  • On the Security tab, click Advanced
  • On the Owner tab, select your account if it isn't already
  • Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click OK twice (close all dialogs)

That sets you as the owner of every folder and file on the drive.
  • Now, in the Explorer, right-click the drive in Question and select Properties
  • On the Security tab add your account if it is not already there and set Full Access
  • Click Apply > Advanced > check Replace permission on all child objects with......
  • Click Apply

Hope, it works!
thank you so much. you solution helped me to resolve my issue.
You are F... life saver
Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu