Dell Dimension 8400 Will not detect HDD

Closed
dontheox - Mar 3, 2010 at 07:09 AM
 Gregg - May 16, 2010 at 08:15 PM
Hello,
I am working on my buddies Dell Dimension 8400 he had a bunch of malware on it so I took the HD out put it in my computer got rid of the malware reinstalled the HD in the Dell, when I booted up the Dell it would not detect the HD I have tried all the tricks posted on this forum but with no luck the only thing I have not done is check the sata cable. The HD works I have tried putting other HD in the Dell still will not detect it. Please any help will be most appreciated!!!
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 4, 2010 at 04:00 AM
Hi there,

Check the sata and power cable also this should be main,then also in bios,try it on other system also to get know if its not defective.

Thanks
Plug the sata cable into the other sata slots on the motherboard then windows xp will see it. Install windows and all of the updates, then plug it back into the origianl sata slot. All done. :) Hope this helps.
Hello,
I'm not sure if I understood well your question but...
If you're trying to reinstall your PC with a WinXP CD, it won't recognize your SATA HD (this model as a SataHD I though...). You need the SATA driver to reinstall it.

2 Solutions:
1. - Install XP with the DELL CD that is given with your PC
2. - Install XP and at the beginning of the installation you add the drivers from a floppy or a USB Stick

Hope it helps.
Bye