Microsoft Word Icon Changed to Unknown Program [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question SV - Last answered on Apr 2, 2017 at 01:18 AM by SDCC
Hello,

Recently my microsoft word (program) icon changed from the classic picture to the unknown programs icon. I wanted to know how to get the real icon back. My icons for everything else (such as Microsoft Excel) on the desktop still displa properly. When I click on the Microsoft Word unknown programs icon, it sill opens to a normal new document scree, so this is no problem.
See more 
Helpful
+248
plus moins
Go to microsoft office-- microsoft office tools-- microsoft office picture manager-- help-- detect and repair-- check restore my shortcuts while repairing.

This should restore all the microsoft office shortcuts and icons
Michael B.- Sep 22, 2010 at 07:13 PM
OMG!!!!! GREAT!!! WORKS AMAZING!!!! U R THE MAN!!!! THANKS A BILLION!
bigcabguy- Oct 2, 2010 at 01:47 AM
Had the same issue out of the box with Excel icon. Fixed simply and quickly with this solution. Thank you.
rockco- Oct 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I had the same problem, but with Excel.
Stuff- Oct 17, 2012 at 02:41 PM
I am getting an error that says "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid" when I try to do this. Any suggestions? (I know it's been a while since this was put up, hopefully someone is still getting the notifications!)
SDCC- Apr 2, 2017 at 01:18 AM
Its really helpful. I spend nearly 2-3 hours searching for the solution over the internet. Surprise to find out, the solution given here is so simple.

Thankyou
Helpful
+23
plus moins
I went to control panel under program and program features and right clicked the Microsoft office icon. Clicked on the change button then clicked repair programs.
Helpful
+8
plus moins
I 100% agree with TYGR22 and his/her solution is THE BEST known solution to this LOST MICROSOFT OFFICE ICONS (LMOI) problem.
cheers
Helpful
+7
plus moins
So I rooted around and found a fix. I'm still not sure why this happened. But I right clicked on just one of the MS Word document icons on my desktop (it was a shortcut to a document I've been working on), selected "Open With..." then "Microsoft Word." The document opened (which was not the problem) and the MS icons (even Excel and PPT) are restored.
Helpful
+6
plus moins
That worked like a breeze... Thanks.
Helpful
+6
plus moins
thank you so much...it really worked

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?